Prepping on the cheap

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Is it learned behavior, or is it as I suspect genetic? Grampa was a scrounger/builder of things from other things, Dad was the same. Brother and nephews and I, are to a lesser extent the same. Maybe it's because we saw that "stuff" can be repurposed that we do it. Wife couldn't believe some things I did. Man would I like to have that room full of treasure.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Ganado, Brokor, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, it's an acquired sickness, much like collecting cigars. You're the same as your father because he had a bunch of stuff lying around for you to build and experiment with. A little knowledge of tools, welding, perhaps you took apart an engine or ten here and there as a child, and before you know it, you can identify treasure from another person's junk. It's all downhill from there.

Ganado, Motomom34 and oldawg like this.
  3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. Most of my Coleman stuff date's from the 40's through the 90's. And they all still work today. Haven't purchased a NIB gun since I moved in my apartment. All other are used. Even my truck and camper is used! Good stuff is out there if you look.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I get things that are cheap and given expensive things that are worn out .
    Some stuff is worth rebuilding an some is pure junk . the junk get's stripped and fasteners saved and the rest recycled .
    Due to the signs of the times I'm a little less hesitant to loose metals and plastics I might not be able to find in the future. and while making repairs one can improvise sometimes unique things require their own chemistry to repair , Plastics for instance are not all alike.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Ganado
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Coyote Ridge
  12. Motomom34