Prepping vs Hoarding

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Witch Doctor 01, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Bump
    What items would you consider hoarding, if hording was more than 1 year's worth of food? What do you think would trade well?
    I say
    FOOD HORDABLES
    canned meats
    Hard cheeses in wax
    raisins
    spices

NON-FOOD HORDABLE ITEMS?

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Diesel fuel
    Propane
    Candles
    Socks
    Nails and screws
    Batteries
    Knives (pocket/folder...cheap)
    Matches/lighters
    Baby wipes/disinfecting wipes
    Hand sanitizer
    Soap/shampoo
    Bleach (liquid or "powder")
    Razors (shaving)
    Razor blades (single edge, double edge, utility knife blade)
    Deodorant

More
    Fasteners
    -Pins (safety and straight)
    -Velcro (bulk and patches)
    -Zip ties
    -Twist ties
    -Rope (PARACORD!!!!!)
    Cloth (bolts)
    Pens and pencils

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Ganado likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

article-2296472-18CE81B7000005DC-549_964x618.

A prepper is prepared for tomorrow....a hoarder is just mental. :rolleyes:

Ganado likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Tidy hoarder, or untidy prepper....sometimes the differences can be indistinguishable. :(

Motomom34, VisuTrac and Ganado like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Mom and dad grew up during the great depression . mom's dad prepaired by having money in every bank in town(Chicago).
    Dad's father moved to the country and had horses and my dad had a garden and sold vegetables door to door.
    My dad gathered his dads talents making a building things with available materials I gathered the talents of both.
    Growing up I learned this talent and naturally people would give us their cast offs for this reason.
    Dad loved helping people and buying their junk at yard sales and accumulating it all , thinking he might sell it eventually.
    That only partially happened.
    I got saddled with what was left,
    including my families air compressor shop when my brother retired .
    So I have tons of stuff I sell or give away . DSCN4084.JPG Just a random picture of things in the barn.
    Please don't do this to your children.

8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK, I'll bite, what's an air compressor shop?

Rancher

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

We built rebuilt and sold air compressors for both personal and commercial businesses. sold them world wide.
    The family business dealt with every thing from 1/4 hp reciprocating electric and gas engine driven on up to 75 hp air screws.
    I've worked on most every thing up to 1500 Hp Centac air compressors, and 2500 hp diesel/ IR screws .
    Practically every aspect of commercial life involves compressed air .

Sapper John and chelloveck like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The difference?
    I would be inclined to believe preppers accumulate and organize supplies then throw away trash, uneeded wrappers and what not.
    Horders do neither.
    Garbage and supplies pile up until it gets so nasty that it all becomes garbage.

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When the load spills outside of good house keeping then its a problem,
    and dealing with it often becomes some one else's problem.
    There are times that I just want to load up my own stuff,, truck/camper, trailer, motorcycle and run away.
    but , there are people that need help , so i stay till my help is no longer necessary and it's all been distributed. but even that is not in my hands.
    My time can come at any time , and nothing I can say/do will change that.
    So I work with the information at hand.
    Hard times ahead are anticipated.
    do the best I can with what I got.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Of course if it's bacon you're hoarding it's not hoarding, it's gathering essential supplies

chelloveck and Sapper John like this.
  13. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

I use 1 upstairs room for prepping. It is a large room and have ample room for preps. It is not a common area and no one has any business in there if visiting. A padlock keeps everyone out. We have additional guest rooms so it has never been an inconvenience having this room. Children's safety concerns come first, so the arrangement he has is not working well for him in both that aspect and in opsec. A better system of organization needs to be put into place.

Motomom34, Sapper John and chelloveck like this.
  14. medicineman

medicineman Survival Guru

"Prepping" was when I bought 2 of the 550 boxes of .22 for $9.99 each, and 1 each of 100rnd Winchester "white box" in 9mm and .45acp, every week when we went to chinamart back in 1997 to 2009.

"HOARDING" is what I was doing for the past 4 or 5 years when I would not sell it cheap (or give it ) to people who could not find in stores and found out I had 20,000+ of 22lr and 8,000+ of 9mm AND 45.

Depends on who wants your stuff or how stupid they are I guess.

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

My first thought is that Sis should mind her own business. How about just locking the doors, starting with the one she has just exited.

I grew up with kid free zones in the house, and so did my kids. You show them what's in there so they don't get curious, and then lock the door. No kids, no worries.

Bucket lids will collapse eventually if the weight on them exceeds 50 pounds. Double rows of 1x2 lumber between buckets has worked for me.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7