Price of new NVGs

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by milhol, Sep 13, 2005.

1. milhol

milhol Monkey+++ Founding Member

Alrighty then, what sort of price range would I be looking at for top of the range NVs? Best I've been able to find is $3500 for ANPVS14s with harness, helmet adapter and weapon mount. Anything better out there that I can't find?

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Actually, that is about average. Your problem is the export laws, you will have to find someone that sells with an export licence. US is really picky about letting it's gen III products outside the US as some of it is finding it's way to the bad guys.
    The stuff is drying up because of the war, so you will have a hard time finding good quality stuff.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Sniper's correct on both counts.

I do an ebay search for PVS every couple weeks to watch the prices.

4. milhol

Yeah, thought that might be the case. I am aware of the export restrictions, but I'd much rather have a pair over there than not have any.
    Planning on moving, better get them now.

5. sniper-66

Prices are only going up!

6. greenmountaingear

greenmountaingear Monkey+++ Founding Member

From a dealer standpoint, pricing on the things are TERRIBLE. Margins stink, customers think you are soaking them (if they have not researched), export restrictions, etc. :(

7. milhol

What are the main differences with the mono's say between the $3500 range and the $2500 range, that appears to be a bit of a step down price wise and they're both still Gen 3?

8. sniper-66

In that range, you are talking Gen III products, so what makes that difference is the line pair quality that they produce. Top of the line is 72lp while average is 64lp. Also, the newer stuff is autogated, without getting technical, it allows the tube to adjust the gain for the conditions. Dark night, higher gain, bright night, lower gain, less power. That is where the difference tends to come in, then the accessorizing you can do will cost also.

9. milhol

I can find the 64lp but not the 72lp.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Search on the MUM2, (Multi Use Monocular). It has a pinnacle omni * tube and reaches 72lpmm. Sniper feels that i isn't really necessary as the human eye has trouble seeing the difference. After looking through both of mine, I tend to agree. I may try to trade my MUM for a few more ANVIS rigs built on the AB mono adapter.

11. sniper-66

The Army NVG PM did a unscientific study of 64 and 72lp goggles and found that almost no one could tell the difference. As a matter of fact, put a 64lp and a 72lp tube in a set of anvis and the pilots couldn't tell the difference. So, pick your poison.

12. milhol

Roger. The most expensive ones I can afford by the looks, without worrying about the 72lp.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7