Quality hatchets/axes.... who makes the good stuff?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Blackjack, Jan 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The best axe I have ever had I just found stuck in a tree this spring in the Manistee national forest near my home. It is a Genuine Norlund single blade axe. Its not a big axe but that thing has the best steel I have ever seen in an axe. I was using it for limbing pine trees and you dont even have to hit a limb hard and it lops it off clean. Im sure some kid got his butt chewed for leaving it in the woods. It has great balance and looks a lot like a competition axe. I have several other axes and most are bigger but none cut like this one. It became my favorite in no time at all. KF

2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

YOU FOUND MY AXE!!! I'll PM you my address so you can send it to me [rofllmao]

beast likes this.
  3. Prometheus

Prometheus Monkey+

I have an estwing that I have been abusing for nearly two decades now....abusing is actually to nice a term for the life this hatchet has gone through, it doubles as a pick a hammer a demo tool a car opener and many others well worn and holding up fine as for a beast of a general heavy chopper make friends with a fireman their fire axes are also very tough and with the added pike on the other side they make a dandy car opener themselves

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Condor...
    We like them.
    ymmv

6. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I like a lot of the new plastic handle axes but I stick with those that can take wooden handles that I could make when it needs to be replaced. Just a consideration.

beast likes this.
  7. beast

beast backwoodsman

i have a problem with wooden handles...lol
    from all the years of smithing, i tend to shatter them
    even the fiberglass handles dont hold up too long for me
    ive been workin on making steel shanks with stacked
    leather pads on all my hammer/axe type tools
    those are easy to replace too and a lot stronger

8. mrrk1562

mrrk1562 Monkey+++

i like the estwing brand ..have both the camper and hand held.but a very well made sarang works real well ..i like estwing campers ax the best ..its a hudson bay ax realy ..but its a realy good weapon as well ..thats what a hudson bay ax was used for an ax and a weapon

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

For my son's 12th birthday, I purchased the following axe. He has gotten involved in Trail Life (alternative to Boy Scouts) and he can't get enough of being outdoors. He has an outing tonight/tomorrow that involves fishing.

Gränsfors Small Hatchet | Gränsfors Bruk

Attached Files:

1. sasquatch91
  2. The_Prepared
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Witch Doctor 01
  5. AndyinEverson
  6. Motomom34
  7. oil pan 4
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Ura-Ki
  10. Bear