Question re: quartz watches & EMP

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Jeff Brackett, Dec 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Perhaps a sundial wristwatch??

Perhaps a sundial wristwatch??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSryyDb91gKu_KVGY_4zlD23DdgvRatcGOMS5cfb3q5_gUXDAtB

Just sayin' ; )

Falcon15 and weegrannymush like this.
  2. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Well...for those who might like to build up another little skill which might be useful in a post-SHTF world, Amazon does have several books on watchmaking and repair. Only prob is that we'd have to stock up on a zillion parts, pieces and bits NOW. More money to lay out. Most folks won't be clued in enough (not like we Preppers, lol) to improvise with sundials and timers in the pocket and might be very glad to find someone who could repair the watches and clocks. Who knows, it's all a big guessing game!

And the same principle applies to timers, we'd need learn to repair those also if they were being used.....everything mechanical breaks down eventually. Why else are we all stocking up on half a zillion manual can openers!

I recall my old Uncle who repaired all his family's shoes. Wish I had paid more attention and also wish I had been able to get some of his tools. Another skill that would be very handy (or footy?) Wow, I'm in good form today, (who am I kidding)!

I think there would be great need for keeping track of the time, for many reasons....why did someone invent hourly-marked candles several centuries ago, if they didn't have to because no one cared about it and there was no need?

chelloveck likes this.
  3. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Started checking out the web, under Water Clocks since I know they were used everywhere for untold centuries, and came up with a site called Home - Clickshop.Com - Gifts & Gadgets, Memory Cards, based in Wales, they ship internationally. I don't know if this gadget is any good or not but it was interesting....it's called a Bottle Shaped Water Clock. It's a (looks like glass) bottle which you fill with water and it runs the clock...no batteries etc. Priced at around 12 pounds stg.. It is just amazing what stuff there is on the web, eh!! I'm going to try to find out more about this clock, just for interest and fun.

4. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I've been picking up Timex and other wind-ups at estate sales for years, only the ones they're not proud of, usually need a band, sometimes a cracked bezel, but if I get several of the same model I can swap parts. Never pay more than ten bucks or so, I may if I find a pristine one pay as much as $25. Mostly they're in a "junk box" for a buck or two.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just finished overhauling a grandfather's clock. At least the parts are big enough to see. Won't fit on a wrist, but you can hear the clang if the door is open and you're on the property.

6. chelloveck

Eschewing watches altogether may be a default consequence

Eschewing watches altogether may be a default consequence of not being able to repair watches, at least in the short term. Watchmaking is a 17th century technology that is likely to survive in a PAW if a significant number of watchmaking tradespeople survive as well. Certainly there are a number of amateur clock makers who build clocks as a hobby, and undoubtedly clocks can be bought in kit form.

I disagree,Falcon: Pocket or wrist watches are useful for the coordination of the movements / activities of survival group members who are separated by distance / sight from each other. Most military type tactical operations are coordinated by references to time and space. The dentist can wait, but you really want your fire support to start precisely when it should in relation to the start of a MZB clearance operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch

7. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Well, the initial reason for the thread was simply to put something on the wrist of a fictional character in a story where he could tell what time it was after an EMP. Boy has it grown! LOL

But I would like to point out that an accurate timepiece is needed for long distance land navigation.

Just sayin'. :)

8. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Sorry to disappoint. It is not. Just sayin'. A compass and a good map is all you need. Basic boyscout training. I know a thing or two about long distance navigation. ;)

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Just scanned my QR reader on the computer screen.....looks like your avatar really works! Pretty cool.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to agree with falc. Time is necessary to find longitude where no land marks exist, say at sea, or at least it was before sea bottoms were mapped out. For sure, a compass and map with landmarks is all that's needed on land.

Falcon15 likes this.
  11. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Hey Falcon... if it makes you feel any better... growing up my dream car was a Studebaker avanti

1963-studebaker-avanti.

Now when it comes to an EMP... I'm no expert... but from what I've read... the damage is done because the pulse creates a significant voltage across anything that has a conductive potential... because this happens all at once across all conductors... it tends to bypass all the safety features built into modern electronics... knowing that my guess is your watch would be toast... and why I have several old fashion windup wall and grandfather clocks at the ole homestead...

but that does bring up another question... since were talking about an EMP... wouldn't a lot of these small ferrous items suddenly become magnetized too?

12. chelloveck

It seems like watches, when not worn should be kept

It seems like watches, when not worn should be kept in a Farraday cage inside a fire proof safe. If you are wearing one when EMP strikes (and you are not under cover)...the possibility is that you will also be toast, so whether the watch works or not may become a moot.

Once all the nukes stop falling, if any time pieces survive at all, they will make mighty dandy trade items. Even the cheapest of cheap watches.

13. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

If I remember correctly, it is not able magnetize metals, it is too widely dispersed across the spectrum.

14. strunk

strunk Monkey+

I'm carrying a pre-WW2 pocket watch. :)

15. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

first I've heard of that. Humans care as much about EMP as does a compact disc or fiber optic line. I assume you're trying to imply that the blast that caused the EMP will cook you, but that use of the weapon (to blow you up) doesn't result in a significant EMP, that requires a high altitude detonation which should not be anything your body would care about.

Or am I wrong?

16. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Monkey

From a report on EMP for Oak Ridge National Labs (Electromagnetic Pulse - EMP Myths - futurescience.com):

"Wristwatch dying: One movie critic pointed out that electronics in a helicopter were affected, but not the star's electronic watch. A watch is much too small for HEMP [High Altitude EMP] to affect it."

There is virtually no chance for a modern digital watch, e.g., Casio G-SHOCK, Citizen Eco-Drive, to be impacted by EMP. These items are too small; there is not sufficient conductor length to gather enough electrons from an EMP to overwhelm the watch's electronics.

1. DKR
  2. Waydah
  3. UncleMorgan
  4. The_Prepared
  5. Ganado
  6. apache235
  7. scpn
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Lancer
  11. Lancer
    Resource

EMP theory 2018-04-11

Stumbled across this while looking for old schematics.
    Posted By: Lancer, Apr 11, 2018 in category: Communications
  12. 3M-TA3
  13. arleigh
  14. Witch Doctor 01
  15. T. Riley
  16. Yard Dart
  17. Dusty308
  18. Motomom34
  19. Bishop
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7