Random Cool Tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Soft-Robotic.

Ganado, arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. hot diggity

And I thought I was bad riding the crane up and down the shop in an office chair. daily_dump_3196_28.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. hot diggity

I'll have a picture to post when I find my phone, but one of the coolest tricks I've found has been the ability to hold things and unscrew parts. Dad used to really annoy Mom when she couldn't open a jar. He'd just leave it on the counter and rest his hand on top of it. Wouldn't say a word, which is one of the things I remember most about him. After maybe a minute, while she is really starting to get angry, he'd know that the heat of his hand had expanded the cap enough that it would twist right off.

I deal with things that are a little more determined. 100+ year old rifle barrels and lamp burner caps. The only difference seems to be that one is brass and can be crushed. The technique is the same. How to hold a round, polished surface against turning. The trick isn't in how tight you squeeze, although that helps. It's about how good your grip is.

IMG_20191126_174230.

And the best, absolutely stickiest substance I've ever found is good old pine rosin. Wounded pines will produce nice round nodules of rosin. (the stuff that becomes the gemstone amber after millions of years.) You just pop these off the tree, and melt a little into your favorite holding device (wood, leather, steel) and clamp it onto what you'd like to hold. And it WILL hold.

Smells nice too. I filled a small pill bottle in less than five minutes on a walk this afternoon. About a decade worth of hold. :)

My latest success with this trick. 100 year old lamp burners that I've been heating and quenching and soaking in PB Blaster for two weeks. Both came off with little effort. All I needed was a non-slip grip on both round surfaces.
    IMG_20191127_115517. IMG_20191127_115754.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Gafarmboy, Meat, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  4. hot diggity

90mimb_8fcce5c91333ad3e2f15187a9e6c0d7e_dbafc267_540.
    I like it, but just like my tennis racket bags you can't carry it without giving away the weight difference to anyone who has carried a racket or violin.

5. hot diggity

IMG_20191127_174953. The latest evolution of my car interior kit. Makes me a lot of hours, because I usually have everything I need right there on one rail.

Homer Simpson, Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. hot diggity

5d2c2aa142fa2b86be54e8e6fee5edcb. Cordless dish washer.

Meat, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Betcha the pup's name is "Cold Water."

Meat, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. hot diggity

9. hot diggity

10. hot diggity

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Lol,,, I haven’t heard the story of Cold Water in quite a while.

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. hot diggity

13. hot diggity

14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Ok. That was amazing!

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yep , that's how I do my drip edges over brick and transitions in siding ,, and around the roof edges before the shingles and underlayment's go down .

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Meat like this.
  16. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've used similar ones before and they'll get you close enough most times where just a little extra trimming will get you a good fit . And when working with wood,,, always remember ,,, " A little bit of caulk , and a little bit of paint , will make a carpenter what he ain't ."

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  18. hot diggity

There are auto body contour gauges that are much longer if you need that. I think mine is 18" long. I just realized I could copy the shape of a lantern and make a stencil.

An alternative to the way I had been doing it, using paper on the sliding glass door to trace the shadow of objects. It does limit me to actual size.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Meat like this.
  19. hot diggity

THIS is why I don't downhill ski anymore. I generally collided with other skiers. Cross-country skis are safer, until you fall in a
    thicket and can't release your bindings.:eek: [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. hot diggity

Better than jumping from an OV10, but the ride would be chilly.

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7