Random Cool Tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

And speaking of preheat cups, why would you put one on a Quick-Lite gas lamp or lantern? Although alcohol preheating (and on export models, kerosene preheating) of the generator is an absolute necessity on kerosene pressure lamps, it isn't necessary on gas lamps of Quick-Lite design. These require only match lighting with one or two wooden matches being necessary to preheat the generator.

That requires patience, a steady hand, and good long matches. In cold or at higher altitudes it will require many matches to get the generator preheated. This is where the preheat cup shines. Just one match to light the alcohol, and the rest of the preheating is done for you. Nice soft start without disturbing the mantles or shade.
    [​IMG]
    I caught this one just at the moment when the first mantle lit off. This lamp had come from Canada, and like many from there, had the preheat cup installed.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. hot diggity

3. hot diggity

That's a bar bet that I'd lose... every time.
    [​IMG]

4. hot diggity

5. hot diggity

daily_dump_3239_01.
    Looks like a great idea until you start noticing little things, like the clear coat peeling at the edges and the sunroof seals leaking.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. hot diggity

No fuel system? No problem.
    [​IMG]--Majicwrench

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. hot diggity

8. hot diggity

9. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    Little things... they matter.
    [​IMG]

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. hot diggity

11. hot diggity

[​IMG]

I watched Korean Marines making bricks out of mud and straw one day at Camp Mujuk. They made bricks in much the same way all day long in temperatures that barely got above freezing.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. hot diggity

13. hot diggity

I haven't had any trouble finding my hog ring box since I put one through the lid. IMG_20200128_162152. It still closed just fine.

techsar, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. hot diggity

Trail markers, night sights... or as a trunk escape handle, this is some useful stuff to remember. It carves well, can be punched with a paper punch, and never seems to stop glowing. Poor man's tritium.

I have tested night sights made from one of these handles, and they worked just fine. IMG_20200128_172251.

techsar, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Looks interesting. Name or link, please

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. hot diggity

:) That's an emergency trunk release handle. They've been in the trunk of just about every car model since the early 90's.
    That one's from a 2016 Chevy Malibu. GM part number 20814017. You could pay $37.88 for a new one, or just snip a piece off the one in your trunk that you didn't know was there. ;)

Gator 45/70 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  17. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Heh. I haven't owned a car since the 90's, it's been pickups since then and the cars up till then were older. No wonder I had no clue.

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pul-a-part has plenty

SB21 and hot diggity like this.
  19. hot diggity

20. hot diggity

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7