Random Cool Tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Speaking of zip-ties, cut a horizontal slot across the middle of the package instead of opening the end. That way, they can't fall out, just pluck them outta the middle.

GrayGhost, Zimmy, Dunerunner and 6 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I learned a cool trick. If you have stinky rubber boots, fill with water and drop a denture cleaner in them. It will kill the bacteria. Also if you have gloves with rubber you can put them in a container with the denture cleaners and it will help clean them.

If you have a fluffy snow storm, why brush off the car? Instead leaf blow it!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
    Zimmy, oldman11, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  3. medicineman

medicineman Survival Guru

MISSISSIPPI

natshare, Zimmy and Meat like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you cover the car in plastic before the storm it provides many more advantages than having to deal with the usual problems.
    I use Boat shrink wrap . it's heavy and durable for many years . I secure the plastic in the door jamb and it can't be stolen easily.
    My old truck(58 cheve) needed 40 weight oil so I had to put a rough service bulb on a clamp fixture under the hood at night .
    Along with the plastic the cab stayed reasonably comfortable and the engine started like it had never shut down .
    the locks never had freezing problems and the windshield never frosted over . Even parked at work and no light bulb to warm things , I could pull the plastic and drive off while every one else is still scraping off their windshields .
    It also helps to keep snooping eyes from temptation.

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Speaking of zip ties I have a pair of needle fine curved tweezers I've used several times to unlock the ties and reuse them.

6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Wow. Savings. $$$

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It's not that you save that much but if your in a situation that the zip in service can be recovered why throw it away ?
    Old ones that have been working in the sun, for an extended length of time, become to brittle to try and reuse .
    If the length is significant on one already applied to something needs opening, I cut to only remove the spent portion behind the nut and that gives me a slightly shorter zip tie.
    Zip ties work as hose clamps ,double wrap is best, but single wrap will do for many applications.

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I saw one yesterday that reminded me of Croats jump starting cars without jumper cables by flipping a good battery over and sitting it post-to-post on top of the dead battery.

Fella at the range had a brand new AR15 and the front sight post detent pin wouldn't pop back up after being depressed. He needed some lubricant, but nobody on the line had any. No worries. He pops the hood on his car, pulls out the oil dipstick and puts a drop on the pin to free things up. Worked like a champ, and it's an easily available source of gun oil I had completely overlooked. ATF might even make a decent cleaning solvent if you had nothing else.

9. hot diggity

Had to use an old trick today when a set of car keys got dropped through a blind cable access hole in a desk. No way to access it from the bottom and no way to get a straight telescoping magnet down the hole. The solution was to just use a broken pocket magnet, which was now just a small magnet on the end of a 4" stick, and some electrical tape. Twisted the tape to form a cord and went key fishing. Came up with the keys on the magnet on the second try. :)

oldman11, Dunerunner, Meat and 5 others like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Makes you feel kinda proud don't it ?

oldman11 and Meat like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

ANY time you beat murphy, it feels good. Just keep an eye over your shoulder ---

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When ever I fix something I feel like i'm beating the system .

oldman11, Meat and Ganado like this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Need firewood? Take a rope and lay it on the ground. One end should have a loop of some kind. Bowline or ? Lay the wood on the rope and when you think you have enough run the rest of the rope through the loop for a choke. Make sure the choke tightens as you pull. Don't put the loop on top of the pile. On the side as low as you can. You can make a big loop with same bowline for pulling the wood to your destination. Gravity makes it seem like nothing. Like a mule. I can get many days worth of firewood in a short time this way. I hope this made sense. [afro]

Cruisin Sloth, Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Snow? Ice? That's why I live in Florida.
    Had enough of that funky frigid white stuff in my military days.

oldman11 likes this.
  15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

If you need to mix Epoxy or ? you can use an eyebolt or j-hook with a drill. I'd suggest Epoxy, in fact plenty of it in your SHTF supplies btw. Miraculous $hit. :D

Dunerunner likes this.
  16. hot diggity

I was taught a very useful trick for opening ziplock bags today. It's usually the resealable packages of cheese or lunch meat that I have trouble with. The little pull off strip across the top pulls off okay, but then I have to fumble around trying to get hold of the two short little edges to get the sealed part of the package open.

The solution, no longer involving knives and/or pliers, is to simply place your hands on either side of the bag and while pressing on the bag, move them in opposite directions. This causes the ziplock to slide, and it'll pop open at one end. Moistening your hands just a bit will help you grip the bag and get the necessary friction.

No more fiddling with those tiny edges, or eating a whole bag of jerky because I ripped it open in the middle after getting frustrated with the seal.

Witch Doctor 01, Zimmy, Dont and 7 others like this.
  17. hot diggity

I use these straps a lot, and have bought them by the bundle whenever I see them available. Especially useful on ammo cans and tackle boxes.
    strap universal. You just never know when you might need to carry an ammo can and need both hands for more precious loads. strap carrying one each.

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Originally canteen straps I thinks.

19. hot diggity

Yup, it'll snap onto a canteen cover, field phone, ammo pouches, etc. Very versatile piece of gear. There is a wider nylon strap with multiple stout hooks that's good for turning strong young men into pack mules.

This reminds me of the Alice pack frame shelf. It was intended for carrying a radio, but it'll haul anything you can strap to it. Weighs almost nothing and gives the old pack frame a whole new use. (especially since I pack ultra light...Walmart bag.)
    alicepackshelf-1.

20. hot diggity

This airbag wedge is part of my forced entry kit for opening car doors. The rubber squeeze bulb rotted away years ago, and I lost the replacement before I ever got it installed. The solution was just to use an air hose and a blowgun. The bag is tremendously strong, and since I started using it with the hose I've found it to be a big labor saver. Lift a truck tire that last inch onto the studs. Hold a back seat up while you position a pry bar to release the catch. It's made jobs that used to require a helper into one man jobs. Best part is that it makes the old man look like he can still do the heavy lifting. ;-)

This helper never gets tired or takes a smoke break.
    KIMG2380.

Zimmy, arleigh, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7