Random food aquisition thoughts for post SHTF

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by monkeyman, Sep 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Reading over some other threads I happened to think of a couple things on aquireing food in a TEOTWAWKI world and decided to start ta thread for any one else to add to them as well.

The less time you have to spend aquireing food the better shelter, defences, and everything else you have time for so trapping and raising critters helps a lot.

If you can trap a few rabbits live you can cage them and have an ongoing meat supply. Theres a reason for the statment breeding like ribbits.

Traps can cover a trail 24/7, how much of that time can you devote to hunting it?

Nets and trot lines and traps for fish will get LOTS more fish than you can with a line and pole.

Here are the first few I thought of, what can you add?

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yo-yo's also work well for fish and forget. Live traps for hogs work especially well as lots of times you get a sow and her piglets too. Then you can transfer them into a pen of your own. Then you could slaughter one when the need arises. If you could catch a boar and a sow then you could start your own pig farm.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I think Clyde had a post elsewhere that showed the meat yield per rabbit. It was amazing. Not much feeding in relation to the meat.

4. monkeyman

Im not sure of exact ratios but I know for a fact they can thrive on a 1/2 pint to 1 pint of water and 2-4 handfulls of grass and weeds from they overgrown lawn per day. Have run my rabbits that way while breeding them sucessfuly for a month or more before.

BTW: I bread my rabits in mid may and started butchering the offspring from that batch yesterday at prime size, 1 will make a good meal with a few trimmings for 1 person and should fill the average person with just 1 of the bunnies alone. Another month and they would be enouph for 2 with a bit of trimmings but start to tuffin up a bit around that time. Could also start breeding that offspring this month if I wanted to.

5. monkeyman

In winter time if you dont have acess to foods high in vitamin C you can brew a tea from pine needles like the indians used to and drink it to provide vitamin C in the winter when other sources are not available.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

7. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

You could also plant qinoua and amaranth ahead of time in your expected AO. Both roduce pot herbs, and highly nutricious small grains.

1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. jefferson
  9. jefferson
  10. Motomom34
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. ditch witch
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Ganado
  16. JC Refuge
  17. JC Refuge
  18. Coyote Ridge