Rare Supermoon Lunar Eclipse Sunday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Sep 21, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Rare Supermoon Lunar Eclipse Is Sunday, Sept. 27

If it is a clear night a full "blood moon" eclipse should be very "cool"

I wonder if this will have an impact on some of the folks looking for doomsday this month.
    Some Mormons stocking up amid fears that doomsday could come this month | Survival Forums
    Rare Supermoon Lunar Eclipse Just One Week Away
    With the huge supermoon lunar eclipse just one week away, it's time to dust off your small telescopes and binoculars, track down an observatory event or webcast, or draft your invitations for a moon-cake party. Don't wait too long — if you miss it, the next one isn't until 2033.
    The supermoon lunar eclipse of 2015 will occur Sunday, Sept. 27, and is a confluence of three events: a full moon; a lunar eclipse, in which the Earth blocks the sun's light from hitting the moon; and lunar perigee, when the moon is in the closest part of its orbit to Earth. The last time such a confluence happened was in 1982; there were just five
    instances of it in the 20th century. This time around, viewers looking from the Americas, Europe, Africa, western Asia and the eastern Pacific Ocean will have a chance to see the show. [Video: Rare Super 'Blood Moon' Lunar Eclipse Coming, Last Until 2033]
    During lunar perigee, the moon appears larger and brighter in the sky, which is why a full moon coinciding with perigee is known as a "supermoon." (A "minimoon" is when the full moon is at its farthest point from the Earth.) This large moon will present the perfect canvas to watch the Earth's shadow slide over and block the moon's light.

As if that weren't spectacular enough, there's the origin of the eclipse's other name, "blood moon." The moon doesn't simply disappear into Earth's shadow during a lunar eclipse; instead, it's illuminated by an eerie, reddish glow of the light refracting through the edges of Earth's atmosphere.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    pearlselby, Marck, kellory and 3 others like this.
  2. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

ohnoohnoohno

seriously I am looking forward to seeing it. Going to be in catron county at 8000 feet should make for good viewing.

3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Me? I'll walk out in to my yard, look up and marvel at the wonderful sight..

pearlselby and Ganado like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Me, I likely will walk out, and look up, and see "Clouds and Rain"... As I live in a Rain Forest...... Oh Well.....

pearlselby, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I will look at the pictures online since they will be clearer and I can make use of somebody else's zoom camera...
    Right after I sacrifice a chicken for @Mindgrinder and summon THE BEAST into my living room to watch some SPonGebOb.

heheheheheheheeeee

Yard Dart, Dont, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

*burp*

Marck, Brokor and Ganado like this.
  7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I'm going down to the bunker, where I will put my head between my knees and be ready to kiss my ass goodbye.

Crap, I don't have a bunker. :eek:

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Bunker is for wussy

Ganado likes this.
  9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

It was a nice event in Southern Arizona, full eclipse blood red moon.

Rancher

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

T[​IMG]

11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

that's @Mindgrinder 's shot, he's a nub and cant post it. He took a way better shot than i did.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7