Raspberry Pi - anyone use it?

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by kckndrgn, Dec 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got a RaspberryPi for Christmas this year, additionally I have 2 Arduino Uno's that I play around with.

No real projects planned just yet for the RPi, but I have been playing around with it. Got a sensor pack on the way and I can use some of the add-ons for the Arduino with it.

I got the new RPi v2 (1Gb ram and a quad core processor, 4 USB ports, HDMI and network), running the Raspbian distro it runs really nice, a bit jumpy sometimes when the CPU is taxed but it's been very stable. Plugged in a wireless network USB dongle and the WiFi worked instantly (the RPi board also has a ethernet port). From my winblows box I can remote desktop to the RPi so I can run it "headless" (no monitor, keyboard or mouse hooked up)

Running/writing programs in Python, interfacing with the GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) pins has been fun. Got the kids hooked on it when i showed them a RPi version of Minecraft that I can create mods on.

I think one of my bigger plans might be creating a weather station with LCD readout and connecting one or both of the arduio's to the Pi unit.

2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I've got a Model B. I had it hooked up to a Butterfly Labs Jalapeno ACIS BTC miner until the ROI really sucked due to difficulty.
    I'm looking at the new RasberryPi Zero and plan to integrate it into a motor controller for the chicken coop door. Well at least that is the plan.

I'd suggest a powered external USB hub if you wind up having power issues. Earlier models trying to drive keyboards, mouse and wireless off internal power were flaky.

Seepalaces likes this.
  3. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

There are tons of great ideas on instructables for the raspberry pi. I'm still figuring out arduino, or I'd pitch in some genius for you. I know Falcon15 was asking if anyone had material for his survival show, I'd suspect that an amateur weather station might be a great addition.

4. kckndrgn

@VisuTrac - no power issues so far. I've run with wired keyboard & mouse (no other periphials), and then with a wireless keyboard & mouse fob (both used the same fob), and then with the wireless keyboard/mouse and the wireless network. I'm using my charger for my kindle as the power supply, so it can provide up to 2.1A @ 5V.

@Seepalaces - what are you doing with arduino? I took one of my sons toys and automated it :) It was a tracked toy that was controlled with a wired controller. I dismantled it and rebuilt it with a sonic distance sensor, it would go straight until it approached an obstacle then backup and turn either left or right (random direction) then go forward again.

I've got a GPIO breadboard waiting at the house now, so I get to have some fun tonight :)

Seepalaces and kellory like this.
  5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Oh ho, you are SO far ahead of me. Most of my future projects deal with lighting around the house. I bought the arduino starter kit and struggled with it, so my husband got me a multi meter for Christmas. That way I can follow the charge about the board and figure out what I missed. I'm ok with python, and there's tons of free programs out there, so programming probably won't be my downfall. I think I struggle with resistors.

6. kckndrgn

I worked for 4 years in a small shop that made hvac controls, so I got quite familiar with electronics and soldering. I've always had a love for it, it just came naturally to me.

After getting the RPi I started looking into synchronized light displays for Christmas, I think I'll be expanding my display next year :)

kellory likes this.
  7. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have two but at this point they are tools in search of a purpose.

VisuTrac and kckndrgn like this.
  8. kckndrgn

@stg58 I hear ya there, right now i'm just running through demos and instructions in the kits I got. I do have an idea of what I want to do

9. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Raspberry pie [drooling] ;)

VisuTrac likes this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Hope you have a great set of chompers.

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Mine originally had great intentions, but it has lately been relegated to Kodi movie watching only, which isn't all that bad. Its next project is X10 controls.

VisuTrac likes this.
  12. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

Have a 3b+ and must say its fast,and with mild use no extra heatsink needed.Arduino feeding data to it all works nice.Only problem i have is with things as domoticz to try out iot the ALL want you to BUY things.
    No where is discussed how to use data from other systems on the lan.The dark side of this time BUY not make pfff grumpy old me :)

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i use to use 2 of them to mine bitcoin but after bitcoin got scarcer, it wasnt worth the cost of the electricity.

they are nice little toys but there are better set ups

VisuTrac likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. aardbewoner
  3. aardbewoner
  4. Brokor
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Brokor
  7. DarkLight
  8. Brokor
  9. kckndrgn
  10. melbo