Rat On The Menu In Nyc

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Silversnake, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Ill stick with rabbit and squirrel. That is as far into the rodent family as I think I want to get.

3. bgner

bgner Monkey

Mmmmm I don't know about that, if we get hungry enough rat on a stick will probably look delicious when we haven eaten anything for a few days.........rather have rabbit or squirrel but when the protein runs out I'm game for roasted rat over a campfire!

4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Yuk :(

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Squirrels kinda taste like chicken
    so do lagomorphs like cottontails.

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I brown ALL of them down in onion's and a little cooking oil...add a little water and seasoning and you have your self a pretty good gravy...after you cook them down for a fair bit...Mmmn..Now i'm hungry...lol

bgner likes this.
  7. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

Why not? I had nutria at a friends house in Louisiana after Ranger school back in the 90's. Then again after that school I would have eaten the ass out I a horse.

Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome. FTM/PTB

bgner likes this.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Squirrels are not too bad. But I am drawing the line at rats. I raise rabbits so meat is not in short supply. We are adding goats this fall. KF

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Squirrels are just "bushytailed tree rats", and I have eaten my share of them. Very tasty! Fried, or cooked in brown gravy and served over rice - yummy! I'd reckon if rat were served the same way, I'd likely not tell the difference.

10. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

I suppose I would eat rat if I had too. I'd rather feed rats to the chickens and have the eggs. My chickens have eaten baby squirrels and just about anything else I've been inclined to give them.

11. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I raised hooded rats to sell to pet stores and snake owners back when I was 12-16. I suppose in terms of sustainability, they are viable. They can eat anything and never get sick, and the heat doesn't affect them like it does rabbits. They breed bigger litters (10-12 were the norm), and they're ready to start breeding at only 5 weeks. Gestation is only 22 days and females come back into heat 24 hours after giving birth.

I still can't imagine having to eat the filthy things. I spent 80% of my time cleaning cages. They pee and crap on everything. At least you can litter train a rabbit. And these were domestic ones. I can't imagine how filthy the city sewer rats are.
    Norwayrats.

12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

We had Three hooded dumbo rats and a Russian blue as pets (last one died about 2 months ago). The males really do pee on everything but the females weren't quite as bad.

My kids truly did love those things.

13. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

We used to shoot rats at an area landfill when we were kids with our .22's.Good way to learn accuracy and how to lead a target.Made my brother and I better than average shots.Those were really good old days!

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

In a survival situation, any and all protein is harvested.

Capt. Tyree and bgner like this.
  15. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My sister has raised many baby squirrels that have been orphaned for various reasons. They ween themselves quickly, and once onto solid food are ready for the trees. She would keep an open cage in her barn with food for them, and they hung arond for the easy food. They pee and crap on everything too - must be a rodent thing. And she had to keep all animal food in steel trashcans (lids covered in pee and crap), lest the little buggers chew through. She learned her lesson losing a bunch of horse food in a plastic trashcan early on.
    Once during a hurricane, her barn rafterrs were ALIVE with dozens of squirrels - the babies grew and had a couple generations of babies, and remembered where 'shelter'and food were!!
    She wouldn't let me cull the herd....... [ROFL]

16. cranky1

cranky1 Monkey++

battered and deep fried couldn't be that bad?

17. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

I've propably eaten it overseas and just didn't know it. I've told DW that if we were in katrina I would have ran a trap line and we would have eaten dogs, cats, and rats.

OGM

18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

One mans puppy is another's chow...

The controversy over Korean dog meat eating has come to Los Angeles.
    A group called "In Defense of Animals" embarked on an "International Day Of Action For South Korean Dogs And Cats" at the Korean Embassy in Washington, D.C. and at the Korean consulate in Los Angeles.

When someone tells you they are going to wok their dog, you just might want to check a bit closer.

BTW - South Pole expedition of 1912 --
    Amundsen planned from the start to have weaker animals (sled dogs) killed to feed the other animals and the men themselves.He expressed the opinion that it was less cruel to feed and work dogs correctly then shoot them than to starve and overwork them to the point of collapse.Amundsen and his team had similar affection for their dogs as those expressed ... by the English, but they "also had agreed to shrink from nothing in order to achieve our goal"Such a procedure was claimed to be distasteful to the British. At the same time -- the British were willing to eat their ponies

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7