Ready? Absolutely not. Less unprepared? Most definitely!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DarkLight, Jan 18, 2016.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

After this weekend's wake-up call (Failed SHTF test... | Survival Monkey Forums), today was spent getting less unprepared. I'd like to say more prepared but that's still a few steps down the road.

We don't have full BOBs yet, but we do all have grab bags. In the event of an emergency, we will all have at least a change of clothes, food for 3 days (Datrex but better than nothing), water and light. The clothing is season appropriate so we will be warm. Grab bag is the more appropriate term though as this is for getting to a hotel to weather a very localized emergency. The nice thing is that if push comes to shove, where I work has a company apartment that I could get the family into for a week or two if we needed to. It sits empty a lot of the time.

So, change of clothes, food, water, light, warmth, cleanliness. I also now have one of my handhelds (Baofeng) in my bag and I will be checking and recharging the battery on a bi-weekly basis.

The goal here was to use what we already had and just get the kit together.

Next I went through our "car camping" totes and re-organized them. I can pull the giant tent (and the two-man tent), the sleeping bags, the totes, the big propane tanks and the Big Buddy heater in a couple of minutes and get them into the SUV and crossover in less than 5 minutes. That gives us a little more in the way of sustainability. We have 30 or 40 gallons in 1 gallon jugs (commercially filled) and two cases of mixed Mountain House that could go on top. Again, not ideal but getting better as far as staged goes. This would be for a quick "get out" but with plans to come back.

Feeling a little better.

Ready? Nope. Less unprepared? Yup.

Tully Mars, kellory, Bear and 5 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

A few months ago I went thru the car bags and winterized them. I basically took all the bags, dumped them on the floor and repacked with cold conditions in mind plus taking into consideration where the driver would most be traveling. My son is a snowboarder so he is always in the mountains and usually has passengers. Therefore extra Mylar blankets, hand warmers, candles, socks, mainstay bars and winter gear went into his bag. He was quite happy and likes having his bag.

I guess I need to follow @DarkLight's lead and pack a bag and throw it in the entryway closet.

3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I think what you've done is great @DarkLight. We all have areas that need improving/revisiting. Main thing to me is that you have a plan and are working towards your end goal. Our bags are in here, in the computer room/ office closet. Have kinda forgotten about them during the move and all. They need to be moved into the master closet-thanks for the reminder!:)

DarkLight likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Thunder5Ranch
  11. Motomom34