Red Feather Butter Review

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I finally got around to opening and using a can of Red Feather butter. Here is the review:

It tastes buttery. Very buttery. Extremely very buttery. Waaaayyy extremely very buttery.

Hint: use half the amount of called-for butter in a recipe if you're using the Red Feather butter, replace the other half with lard or shortening.

End of review. :)

Kajun

GOG, Dunerunner, Sapper John and 7 others like this.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Thanks for the warning. Much likecI have found with powdered "whole milk", it tastes buttery too. In both cases, I am betting they go too heavy on the milkfat.
    Odd, considering fat isn't usually a major ingredient in dry LTS foods.

Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

thinkin one of the things the body needs is a certain amount of fat intake?

IIRC science n such says so?

Dunerunner and ghrit like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

so it is kind of buttery.... :LOL: I have some and just am waiting to open and use. I appreciate the advice on using RF butter and something else on a recipe. (y)

5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

You are right...but not all fats are beneficial, and that excessive consumption of fats is correlated with harmful health outcomes. I use olive oil as a substitute for a number of recipes requiring butter / margarine, though for some recipes, butter is necessary.

6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I canned butter a few years back. This year I open a jar and had the same thought. The butter flavor was enhanced, for lack of a better word. It may be a change due to the heat in canning process.

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7