Refueling at gas stations without utility power.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Zimmy, Mar 23, 2019.

1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KS6BS6Q/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    And $2 dollars worth of PVC and fittings and problem solved for less than $50.
    I would think the gasket would need a good cleaning after use. With a hose bib you could pump it right in the tank.
    [​IMG]

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I'll tell this story since it's kind of related:
    As teenagers cruising town was a big thing. I was riding with a buddy in his 69 Camaro with a 454 and a 4 speed when we went out to the mall and pulled in between two cars. I asked what we were doing and he grinned and said "getting some gas". I got out, curious, and watched as he opened the trunk and pulled out a hose, slid it into the tank of the '78 lincoln next to us and flipped a switch, and eased the trunk lid down on the hose. We stood there shooting the sh*t about 5 minutes until the pump started gurgling. He flipped it off, stuck the hose back in the trunk, and off we went. He revealed that his dad taught him the trick and that he never bought gas. I told him I would kick his *ss if I ever saw him parked next to me!
    40 years later, I have a 12 volt pump on the shelf that's been there for 20 years with a switch and some wire for just in case.

STANGF150, Gator 45/70 and 3cyl like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I store gas a diesel in 55 gallon drums at home , ideally one would see to it they had sufficient fuel to make their distances at the start. If those distances are greater then one full tank spare gas in the back might be more practical .
    Raiding a gas station on route during a power down would be attracting more attention than you want .Locals are going to know something is going on . Remember that they are going to be as interested in getting gas as you are, but some might resent the fact you beat them to it.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Probably would have to take it apart and replace the gasket. Most of these old time hand pumps had leather gaskets, which might not stand up to gasoline/ethanol mix.

For those of you worried about the stuff on the bottom of the tank, most tank intakes are well above the bottom of the tank 12-18", so if you don't lower your hose to the bottom you'll be OK. Might use cheesecloth to filter, just in case.. My dad's tanks were only buried a few feet down with gravel and concrete on top. He had two 10k and one 5k tank, all of them at least 8' to 10' tall.

BTW, I always have 3-4 five gallon tanks full and at the first sign of trouble, I'll fill the 25 gallon portable tank that I have in my garage (after putting it in my pickup.. That amount of gas will get two vehicles to our bug out location. We almost never let our vehicles get below 1/2 full.

mysterymet, Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  5. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

One thing I would definitely suggest, if you're using a portable pump, is to also have some wire, with decent size alligator clips on each end, so you can ground the pump. While the likelihood may not be all that much, all it takes is one spark, and you will discover what it's like, to be a "screaming class alpha-bravo fire". :eek:

Remember, gasoline has a flash point of -40F....so unless you're pumping it, while in Antarctica, chances are, you're dealing with vapors. And it's the vapors that burn!

Zimmy likes this.
  6. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I dont know how much lift it can handle but a 12v fuel pump might be a simple way.

Zimmy, natshare and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

[flag]You need your gas before lights out,after just might get you shot. Store at least fifty gals in a sealed container and you will be ahead of the pack that will be trying to get the gas. Leave it along.[flag]

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Even if it's not an automotive fuel pump, any positive displacement pump will pump uphill quite some distance (albeit, at a lower volume flow, if you're lifting more distance). Any good manual drum pump should be able to be fitted, with a suction and discharge hose. Get your fuel, and your arm workout, too! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Any other pump (centrifugal, etc) will require a foot valve, to prevent you from losing suction.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  9. john316

john316 Monkey+++

AT the GATE gas stations in gainesville all they got was a transfer switch on site and a promise of a generator if they need it. I am sure that will work well………….SO, we made the state happy and did not have to waste money on a generator

LOWES and PUBLIX on 13th st have a generator and both have used them several times.

Gator 45/70 and tacmotusn like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

But of course we all know how quickly generators disappear from the places selling them in an extended power outage situation.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and most of those are JUNK, and have a MTBF of about 100 hours....

12. john316

john316 Monkey+++

GATEGAS has a full size 400 amp, 3 ph transfer switch.they say they will bring in a trailer mounter generator when it is needed.

WHEN we had that high wind a couple months back, Publix was out of power for over 4 hours, the generator worked great ran the whole store, the manager told me it paid for itself for a year or 2 in that 4 hours. He told me it is tested ,under load, by an outside contractor, once a month. He also told me ,with gainesville power,it comes on by itself every month or so.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  1. chelloveck
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Bandit99
  5. Bandit99
  6. STANGF150
  7. DKR
  8. Bishop
  9. Murfylang
  10. Yard Dart