Repurpose Glass Bottles

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Those screw top brew cans are a bit heavier than the pop a top cans and make killer alcohol penny stoves.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

You can wrap gotten string around it and put lighter fluid on the string and set on fire when it Ben going for a bit put it in a bucket of water it will cut the bottle where the string is takes some practice to do it right but it works good works better if you use a glass cutter and score it then wrap string around and do it you can make drinking glass or lamps.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes you can, but you will get a cleaner cut with a glass cutter and boiling water. The fire is actually a little too hot. You can also drill the glass under water to keep it cool

4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I stopped using Aluminum cookware over forty years ago. I also banned the use of all insecticides.
    I think those were two of the wisest decisions I ever made.

@kellory & Ganado: Nice posts!

On re-purposing bottles generally: If anyone ever really understood the need to prep water, they'd never throw any glass container away. Instead, they'd fill them with water, cork them for perpetuity, and stack them out back like cordwood.

Other than that, bottles are super for storing anything wet or dry. Their only problem is that they are not particularly efficient when it comes to compact storage.

Aluminum cans have a layer of clear epoxy painted on the inside. You can boil water in them, but if they ever boil dry the epoxy will melt, which is not good. Stainless steel is a much better alternative.

You can store water forever if it's fresh & pure. It doesn't rot. So as long as it isn't inhabited when you put it up, it'll stay good indefinitely.

kellory likes this.
  5. kellory

The lamp I posted was made by my grandfather we have several in the family. I have a few bottles set aside now to make my own.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Hmm... I wonder if I can convince the VA the all of my problems derive from drinking/cooking in old aluminum canteens...

Ganado likes this.
  7. kellory

Naw, if it was alzheimer's, you probably wouldn't remember your problems....:rolleyes:;)

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  8. Amatore1

Amatore1 Monkey

My wife likes taking Perrier water to work. I was thinking that I could wash the glass bottles and re-fill them with purified water from the grocery store and re-seal them with the original aluminum caps.

Ganado likes this.
  9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Be aware, if you're storing water in glass bottles, and stoppering it with a real cork (ya know, made from cork? :rolleyes:), that cork is porous. Meaning, it can let through nasty stuff, into your water. Also, if it's not kept wet, it shrinks, and doesn't hold a good seal anyways (that's why wine bottles are stored on their side).

Better to find bottles with screw-on plastic caps, or use a rubber-like stopper, instead of cork. Making certain that it's food safe would probably be a good idea, too! :cool:

10. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

You can boil water in a paper cup...

Rancher

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is why they make Microwave Ovens.....

12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    how about a nice sized Al tumbler?

Witch Doctor 01, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Tricky, but yes you can on an open fire. (I know this from boy scout days.)

Witch Doctor 01 and Motomom34 like this.
  14. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Yeah done that lots of times as a BS. works because water boils at 212 degrees and paper burns at 454 degrees. Doesn't work with a styrofoam cup.

Rancher

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

The water in the cup acts has a heat sink and keeps the paper from getting hot enough to burn...

16. DKR

[​IMG]
    he White Box Alcohol StoveTM was designed by Bill Ballowe in 2006. Bill was the first stove maker to design and manufacturer an open top stove using aluminum drink bottles and all other bottle can stoves on the market are copies of the White Box Alcohol Stove.

17. DKR

[​IMG]
    beer bottle tumblers for drinking...beer.

18. DKR

[​IMG]
    cut a beer bottle in half and make a...wine glass!

19. DKR

[​IMG]
    candle container from a booze bottle

20. DKR

[​IMG]
    if you know someone that owns a bar - build a house! from bottles.

(51K bottles)

1. Benjamin A. Wood
  2. hot diggity
  3. Seacowboys
  4. Bishop
  5. DKR
  6. Witch Doctor 01
  7. chelloveck
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. Seacowboys
  11. chelloveck