Rethinking our BO/Go Bags

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by E.L., Jun 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Catfish john

Catfish john Monkey+

I am currently putting together a list/survival kit as we speak. The way I think I will do it, is look at it like a camping trip....gather all the equipment I would need for somewhat comfortable camping, and build from there. Plan of having the "NEED" things in alice pack or something, but ultimatly I am planning on filling up a custom trailor with my survival gear, and canoe on top, attaching it to my 4x4 SUV, and making that my base of operations, caravan type deal. The alice packs are going to be set up for venturing away from, and back too it.

Got some fairly large lakes nearby that are pretty secluded, away from metropolis areas, and big enough where no one would find me (hopefully), so that is kind of my plan for now. great thread by the way!

2. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I have a get home bag and a battle bag. My vest will hold my ammo and a survival kit.
    BOB'S. BOB. Vest.

3. dewber

dewber Monkey+

Personally, I think anyone planning to carry more than 45lbs is either in their 20s or uninformed. Doing that much works magnifies your calorie needs and the amount of food you will have to pack and the amount of water you will need and reduces your mobility.

Many people do not factor in things like their coats, firearms, ammo, boots and so on.

How long is your bag meant to last? 3 days? a week? longer?

A 3-day pack should get under 20lbs w some water included, imo.

4. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Experienced Backpackers/Campers Vs Newbies

IMHO the comments about keeping your load to 45 lbs. or less is right on the mark. However, many of our readers may be new to the concept of backpacking (carrying your house on your back) as an ongoing process.

Further, when I see folks talking about being able to pack and survive for 3 days with only 20 lbs., I tend to think that the commenters are highly experienced ultra-light backpacking veterans.

If you are new to the concept of backpacking, please find a group that can help get you acclimated to the joys and trials of the entire experience. Reading stuff that seems to make sense to you does not really do you as much good as you may think. You really need to experience backpacking to see how to best customize what works best for you. Reading will not do that for you. Backpacking and learning from others--and from what you learn about your ability to carry a load by yourself--is absolutely necessary prior to you making important decisions about what you will or will not need if the SHTF.

Ignorance of the necessary core issues is not a sin but choosing to remain ignorant is pretty darn serious--and you need to do what you can to reduce or eliminate that ignorance. Seize some control now and actually break a sweat! Reading is fine, but at some point it just becomes mental masturbation if you do not convert it into action! Please take some positive action to move yourself forward on the issues you need to develop some savvy.

1. Alanaana
    Media

Hi_I'm_Carl

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 17, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Gloves!

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 7, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Motomom34
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Ganado
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. hot diggity
  10. OldDude49
  11. DKR
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  13. Thunder5Ranch
  14. RouteClearance
  15. Motomom34
  16. Yard Dart
  17. Motomom34
  18. Motomom34
  19. ED GEiN
  20. DKR
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7