Retirement

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TexasAggie, May 12, 2014.

1. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Monkey+++

Now that I have been retired for 11 days, and hopefully our new home will finally be completed, I can get my goods inventoried.

GOG, Motomom34, stg58 and 9 others like this.
  2. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

I will retire when they cover me with dirt

gunbunny, stg58, tulianr and 3 others like this.
  3. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I have been retired for some time. I think that you will find that after a while you will realize and wonder how did you ever find time to work? I have never been busier in my life. Both my dear wife and I know that young marrieds are pulled in many directions with jobs, kids, sports etc. etc. These younger folk's busy-ness are more into survival mode given the economy and the destruction of our society.
    I am afraid that my generation may be the last one that worked and then in the silver years retired.
    My married grandchildren are working like crazy and like their parents trying to stay afloat. They are all blessed in that they have jobs/careers yet none of them are secure like my generation was of long term employment. I worked 44 years and was glad to stop because of declining health (declining as in fell off a metaphorical cliff :eek:)
    There are many folks like Mike who want to work until they drop. I have known quite a few with that great attitude, yet in today's environment you need to have desired skills and good health. I'm rambling, another sign of old age, but retirees generally will be busier than ever....
    GB

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have been semi-reTIRED, since 2003.... They now just pay me to "Live Here" in the winter, and keep the place from walking away. It isn't much, but with my SS Benefits, and the Golden NestEgg, that I had built up since I was 24 years old, Momma and I, live comfortably. There
    is always something to do, each day. I spend about 3 hours a day, learning , or researching, something that interests me. The internet makes that really easy, and has replaced the State Lending Library. I try to learn something NEW, each and every day.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

RETIREMENT is a dream I do not think I will ever have the opportunity to enjoy. With all the ebb and flow in life, we don't ever seem to truly get ahead enough, to feel comfortable in what happens later in life financially. And that planning does not ever take into account for social security or other items... I just don't think those "programs" will be available for the common man. As well as continuing to "help" adult children... that can be such a drain....

Both of us are working, with solid careers but that is both a blessing and a curse, with loss of time to just relax. We are scrambling to pay of all debt and relocate to a better area out of the burb's. But ever pulling the plug and not having a day job.... just don't see it unfortunately..... just the facts as I see them at this time.... not crying about it.... just an acknowledgement that folks in my age bracket (mid-40's) are realizing more and more everyday!!

Motomom34, Georgia_Boy, stg58 and 4 others like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ahh Mid Fortys ,, Im drooling & dreaming of joints that work etc. Im with BT .. every day I try to learn something , without PAIN !! :) ..

stg58, swampbilly, Mike and 2 others like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Even if I won the lottery, I would likely keep working. But, only on jobs I chose to do for the challenge, or the fun of it. If it makes money at that point, all the better. I like working, I just don't like HAVING to.

Tracy, Georgia_Boy, stg58 and 4 others like this.
  8. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I thought I had retired when I left the Marine Corps after twenty-three years; but found that I had only just started working. I look back on my military career now fondly. When not deployed, I left work by four-thirty or so, had weekends off, thirty days paid leave each year. Those were the good old days! Now, I find myself laughing at the thought of an "off-day." What the devil would that be like?

9. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

I knew when I "retired" at 38 that I was just stepping from a military life to a new work life. Still learning. Our new radios are MPLS Ethernet type and I am now learning the IP language. lol. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks

10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I hope to be able to retire at 55. Maybe be a part time eccentric college prof thay wears slippers to class.

Mike, Sapper John, stg58 and 3 others like this.
  11. swampbilly

swampbilly Gone Galt

23 years Retarded' Squid , been there doing it................

Mike, stg58 and tulianr like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've been semi-retired for at least 35 years, I've decided to never fully retire since a man dies when he stops working.

Mike, stg58, tulianr and 4 others like this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No longer drawing a weekly check, but not retired. Also no longer having to ignore dumb ass managers.

But as before, just give me a job and a budget, get out of my way and it'll get done, on time, on budget and with a safe outcome for all.

More projects to do than the body to do them.

Work till I drop!

Mike, stg58, tulianr and 4 others like this.
  14. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Monkey+++

I have worked for over 51 yrs, and 48 yrs, 42 days were spent in defending the US (AD, USAR, GS, and Contractor, plus work in the private sector while in the USAR. Have some property we need to fence and work. so not retired with nothing todo. today, caring for a sick grandchild.

15. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I may "be" retired yet this year.

For the last 5 years the company I have been with for 26 years has been reorganizing and generally whacking the older higher paid folks, in other words the guys that built the company.

They are paying severance packages which for me would be 1 year plus 4-5 weeks of unused vacation and a good company pension so in many ways I am ready to go.
    With 2 SS checks the pension and 401K/savings things don't look bad plus the house and truck are paid off I dumped a CC and will take another credit report hit when I dump another but when I buy a new truck for cash I won't need anymore loans as I remove myself from the credit $egment of the banking $ystem.

16. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I' d not be so quick to dump the "credit $egment of the banking $ystem". A couple of months ago I walked into the KUBOTA Dealer after deciding which Tractor I needed to replace my aged Ford diesel. Understand the Ford is not wasted, just like me, a lot used, so I will keep it in reserve and as a mower/hay mover. Anywho I walked out to the tractor, kicked the tires, went with the "NEW" salesman to his desk. Worked out a better deal than I'd hoped from internet searches etc with extra lights and other stuff. Then he groaned, pulled out a layered stack of papers and said. "Well now we got to do all the loan apps!"

At that point I pulled out my pre approved, no interest credit limit, COUPON issued by KUBOTA and ask, Didjaever see one of these? He read it, broke out in a big grin and said, "This is like winning the Lotto!"

So there are deals out there in whch you can use other's money and keep yours in your pocket for the next 5 years.

But you got to have proved credit and solid payments.

BTW, That bucket on the front of the new tractor came in handy when the JEEP suspension kit came. I just left it at the front gate, inside the fence and the UPS Guy put all the heavy leaf springs in the bucket. Normally he loads deliverys in a lock box on the ground so he understood the Bucket over the fence where he stops.

YMMV

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Mike and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@stg58 -- Keep at least one CC alive and active, deliberately use it a couple times a month, otherwise your credit rating will take a real hit. If you don't have one, you essentially disappear from the credit bureaus, they can't find you to rate in case you ever do need credit. Use it, pay in full every billing cycle and you should be good to go.

Mike and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I plan to retire when I am 35

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Cough....liar ;)

Mike, Gator 45/70 and Sapper John like this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Typo. Left off a 1.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7