Rice for long term food storage - SHTF preps

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by larryinalabama, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

My rice is the plain old white rice. I'm from S Louisiana, rice is a staple. It may not have all the vitamins, but it is a carb.

I store my rice and beans separately. If I want a drier I use desiccant packs, which are in all my dry stock buckets.

I guess I should note that most of my dry stock is not put up for the "long term". They are in my normal rotation. It may take us 3 or 4 years to go through a rotation, but that is how we work it. Buy what you eat, eat what you buy.

I do have some long term preps, and I do use mylar bags and O2 packs with those.

larryinalabama and tulianr like this.
  2. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

I got the Short grain brown rice, it goes bad quicker(2-3 years) but I eat it a lot now, so I'm hoping I'll have minimal loss.

3. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

4. Avarice

From EmergencysupplyUSA.com and I've read the same elsewhere.
    Mine are sealed in #10 cans with two oxygen absorbers. I have read elsewhere that you can expect 3 years, but I have good turnover so I won't find out. You are on topic about bugs and grains, I always put my grain in #10 cans. I don't know if bugs will touch white rice, but they love brown rice.

I might put it in the walk in I have, but right now it is not.

5. Falcon15

OK that clears it up, you did not specify the rice was stored in sealed #10 cans before. Wanted to make sure other readers knew how you got that shelf life. Thanks for clearing it up! Bugs go NUTS over white rice...it is pure fuel for them.

6. Avarice

They eat the inside of the brown rice, so that makes sense, it's just empty hulls of brown rice after they get through them.

7. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

We only eat brown rice and have had no problems with rice that was 2-3 years old. It was not frozen, it was stored inside a big plastic barrel in the bag it came in. Then put a little D.E. in the barrel. We have a rotation of about that long so all of the brown rice we eat is about that old.

BWM

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bumping this thread because it is a good read. Lots of info on rice.

Ganado, Yard Dart, kellory and 2 others like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Falcon15 & @BTPost I went to the store yesterday and looked at rice. I could not hind anything that said converted. Lots of different brands of white rice but nothing that said converted. I looked at Uncle Ben's and I didn't see the word converted on there either. I will run to Costco and see what there rice looks like but help??

10. Falcon15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @Motomom34 : look for the word "converted" or "parboiled" on the packaging. See above examples.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thank you! These examples help me to know where to look on the package. I really appreciate it.

1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. JC Refuge
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Dunerunner
  10. JC Refuge
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. jefferson
  14. RJFab
  15. jefferson
  16. Motomom34
  17. Dunerunner
  18. Coyote Ridge
  19. duane
  20. TnAndy
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7