Rugged Solar AA/AAA Battery Charger

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by chillpill, Nov 9, 2010.

1. chillpill

chillpill Monkey+

Hey all.

I'm a long time lurker finally posting. Now I don't know much about anything but I do know that rich people (make that really rich and wealthy people) all through history tend to move their paper assets into Gold when times get sketchy. And when lots of gold is getting bought up, the price goes up.

With gold hitting new highs over and over again ... this is my wake up call to get prepared. I mean no one knows whats coming down the pipe and anyways, as much as any kind of crash would SUCK ... getting ready is definitely interesting and fun.

Anyways, I was reading that epic post on TSHTF in Argentina (killer thread) and the lessons learned from the generous poster of that thread. I got to making my list and one of the things I am seeking is some kind of solar AA/AAA battery charging set up.

Do you guys know of any good ideas for this? The closest I can find to a manfucatured gizmo is this puppy here:

Amazon.com: 4 Battery Solar Charger: Electronics

The reviews are OK but not great. Anyone know of a different unit that is perhaps more mature/proven? Or any recommendations for a simple setup to handle charging batteries? (I've got 40 AA/AAA Eneloop batteries on the way).

I'm not real techy so I'm not sure if I'd be able to design/install my own solar panel setup plus the portability of that little solar battery charger is pretty cool.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

hitchcock4 likes this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I don't know about that make.

I do know that Brunton makes some really good portable solar stuff but unfortunately, it looks like they don't make the AA/AAA chargers anymore. I did find this one on Amazon

I have some of other Brunton stuff and am very happy with it.

I would really stick with a well known name or it will more than likely fail you when you need it most.

3. chillpill

chillpill Monkey+

Hrmmz

Hey Melbo,

Thanks for the reply!

Ah OK, that unit looks sturdier but the reviews on it are kind of mixed :unsure: I didn't realise this was somewhat of a "fringe" gizmo and had assumed there would be more of them available to choose from, including something with a bombproof build, a charging screen/panel ... and of course, effective at charging!

After reading that epic Argentina post, I want to (at the minimum) have:

• A couple of handheld LED flashlights (have a Fenix LD20R4 on the way and will be ordering a Fenix TK40 shortly - both of which kick ass on AA's)
    • A few AA LED headlamps (still researching these)
    • Lots of rechargeable AA/AAA batterries (Eneloops seem to be the brand of choice for people in the know about these things! ;-) )
    • AA to C/D adapters (little cases that let you insert AA batteries into them and use them in C or D battery devices
    • Some non-rechargeables as backups
    • Two top quality, proper wall chargers
    • One solar charger (or way to charge using solar power)

What are you guys doing/using for your power/energy/battery ecosystem? Or are you skipping on the charging of batteries as part of your preparedness?

Are there some good posts here on the forums already dealing with this subject? :unsure:

Thanks!

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

5. chillpill

chillpill Monkey+

Thanks Quigly.

That unit looks pretty freakin' slick.

Forgive my lack of tech savvy here but would additional hardware/components be required on top of this Solaris 26 unit in order to charge AA batteries?

Would the set up look like ...

Sunshine > Solaris 26 > Battery Charger = Charged AA batteries

or

Sunshine > Solaris 26 = Charged AA batteries

or

?

o_O

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

7. chillpill

chillpill Monkey+

Sweet thanks! :-D

At work and will check it out tonight.

8. chillpill

chillpill Monkey+

OK checked it out. That's pretty awesome and after looking into Brunton, I dig their stuff. Looks like upper end, well built gear. Granted, to use a MAHA charger I would a solar panel of some kind, an inverter and preferably some kind of battery to run off (so I am getting clean power and not spikey power running straight off the solar panel). Thats my guess anyways.

Anyways, I'm continuing my research and will keep you guys posted.

Found this today also which might do the trick for less than $100. Apparently charges two AAs at a time ...

Amazon.com: USB + AA Solar Panel Charger: Patio, Lawn & Garden

The search continues.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I have a USB battery charger that takes assorted batteries. I think AAA to 18650. But only two at a time. Usually, I will plug that into the wall at home. Not sure the make, but will check tomorrow. Also have a Nitecore smart charger that will do four at a time. But I mention the USB because you can plug it into your solar charger of choice. Or use a battery pack in conjunction with solar. My preference is to charge the battery pack with the solar, then charge the device with the battery pack while I sleep.

If you have a back up light, it is no problem. I like the headlamp and flashlight combo myself. And family camping, we also have a lantern or two as well.

oldawg likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

12. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

BTPost likes this.
  1. Prepper12
  2. Prepper12
  3. Papa_asf130
  4. Motomom34
  5. oldman11
  6. DAM29393