Scavenging

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well after the die off when scavenging would be "acceptable" for a means of survival and reconstitution of community, think about fast food restaurants for bio fuel making supplies....... :)
    And to resupply your hot sauce packets from taco bell....... ;)

Fast-food fat: Future fuel for cars
    Biofuel - Wikipedia

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm going to let everyone else kill each other off fighting over scraps.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No suggestion was made of time of place.
    So start with war time footing logic.
    Never go alone unless you like instant death.
    Never go into unknown territory just to salvage.
    Scout out the area and keep an eye out for needs not just stuff to take.
    Call it a hunting trip for goods of known value/need items to increase your suitability to survive.
    Scout out a place, observe and wait for darkness then move to a selected point.
    Have others cover and collect as needed.
    Have at least one person to act as bait to draw off others and a sniper to cover both of them.
    Trauma kits for each person and a plan on how to fall back/move out if you meet any resistance.
    Nothing is worth a life in a salvage trip.

4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've played a lot with the idea of a trading post. Let others go scavenge and bring it to me. There's a lot of people who would trade almost anything for nutrition, caffeine, and alcohol. As inventory goes up and diversifies I will have other things people want desperately.

5. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

problem I always have with this topic is the loose as hell interpretation of "scavenging" by most people - just call it looting if you're going into a bizness or home and taking shit that don't belong to you .... you prep to avoid being the oozing crap that the sheeple will become in a serious SHTF - because they didn't prep ...

just remember - you're just one occupied & defended home/bizness away from being a murdering raider or being murdered as one .... don't insult by saying you only intend to hit deserted & abandoned - all the places are going to look that way ....

the ONLY possible justification would be if you and the survivors of a devastating SHTF - that killed off 60-70-80-90% of humanity - and now facing TEOTWAWKI - no prepper can be ready for something like that responsibility to humanity ....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Having been hunted in the past I'm a bit more cautions about where I go and the surrounding environment .
    If there is sufficient man power to both maintain the perimeter security and a group commissioned to scout and scavenge ,so long as they are not a raiding party, I don't see a problem.
    I have seen even a very poorly disciplined run business be successful, basically because of good communications. Take out communications and even the best of organizations will fall apart . Fact .
    Your "discovery party" can be commissioned to find specific things, and or relay what they find against what is actually needed while the ;mechanic at home is pondering how he can improvise an adaptation from one engine /generator to a different make/manufacturer . If the guy in the field and the guy at home speak the same language (mechanically ) He knows what to look for, and what is not worth hauling all the way home . Some disassembly in the field might be required. And with communications both barter and making friends/alliances along the way wouldn't hurt either.
    Since California has a neatness fetish, finding a scrap metal yard is far more difficult ,I have to drive through town 10=15 miles to get to them .that's 20-30 miles round trip and heavy loaded coming home.
    Having to go by horse and wagon or on foot and haul something back, besides dealing with people in between going both ways will be more than adventure. And that baring other obstructions such as down bridges and obstructed roads and paths.
    And strictly going on foot means having a cart/carts capable of the terrain and the weight and what ever is carried needs to be worth the investment.
    On the other hand, it might be a good bartering skill to offer this service to those that can afford it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I have given a lot of thought to that as well. Trading post, modern day blacksmith services if you will, gunsmith and basic medical services. The main problem with the above is having a security force large enough to keep another band from over running you. They may not have the foresight to care about long term only what they could gain today. Kinda like eating the chickens today instead of having eggs for tomorrow.

Ganado, arleigh, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Cat house

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Zimmy

I think I can muster the troops from Vets and LEOs in my area plus army buddies that will probably be migrating my way with more skills and tools than beans and band-aids.

Of course. That's capitalism.

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Tully Mars

Had an old multi millionaire tell me once:
    "Son, people gotta live somewhere, they gotta eat something, they gotta $h!t and they're gonna fornicate. If you build a business around one of those yer gonna be rich.."

Running a brothel presents it own set of problems. Not saying a person shouldn't do it, but I wouldn't have it near a trading post.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Beans on this side Babes next door?

Asia-Off-Grid, HK_User and Tully Mars like this.
  12. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

(y) (y) (y)

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Asia Off Grid Bordello - I could see this happening. Also offering poker in the front (using some of my smartly purchased decks of cards, pre-collapse), and liquor in the rear. It'll be like the Old West again. Yeeee Haaaaa!

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

In morrocco last year around Nov 18 or 19th 15 people were trampled to death in a small town when a .gov food truck arrived to a town hit hard by crop losses.
    People are going to lose their freaking minds.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

You guys have missed the sweetest post apocalyptic earner of the lot...establish a church with oneself as the chief preacher and tithe collector...initial capital outlay.....a bible....add a little carisma, a sh*tload of chutpzah...a flock of desperate, gullible parishioners wanting to get right with their god, 'n' yer got a cushy billet until the next carpet bagging hot gospeller comes to town...of course preacher / undertaker / hangman combo is a good class synergy for income levelling....much better than mage / thief ;)

16. Tully Mars

Way ahead of you Chell.
    A Founding member and Potentate of The First Reformed Church of the Immaculate 45 Auto

Yard Dart likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Mines going to be a drinking church with a fighting problem or is that a fighting church with a drinking problem?
    Any who, make going to church a spectators sport.

We know what's going to happen in Australia. Demolition derby racing will become it's own religion.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@chelloveck im already an ordainged minister, it only costs $25 lol

on a more serious note if you are a card carrying minister it still gives you access to places guberment wont let other ppl into... js

chelloveck likes this.
  19. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Ok guys rail cars, the engines also carry a bunch of Deisel

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy's deposit-only bank and trust

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7