School Bus - The Ultimate BOV?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fireplaceguy, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

No school bus for my family, although we do get good use out of a Ford E-350 12 passenger van. Cool concept though. The gas mileage is great, around town we get about 16 to the gallon, and hi-way we get almost 20 mpg.

2. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

That's what I would do if I had a setup like that. Solar is great if it works well at least you don't need to find fuel for it and I think it would be easy to rig something up that would allow you to manually adjust the position of the panels so the sun hits it more directly.

BTW how many MPG would a fully loaded bus get? Are they diesel?

It seems like a pretty good idea after reading your post about it compared to a RV or other types of trucks. It also may even help people that have a BOL but don't want to keep too many supplies there because of thieves or storm damage, keep the bus loaded with everything you need and just take of if the time ever comes.

3. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

There are diesal powered buses some of them are even 4 wheel drive. The news I see from fireplaceguy is also good for me cause I can fix a grid to hold the solar panels and some Hydraulics to lift the panels to take advantage of the sun. so that sounds workable. Myself I too would do my cooking outside on an open fire with a grill over that as long as I have wood to burn and meat to cook. The only thing I ever would cook inside would be with a slow cooker anyhow, when the snow is too deep to fire up the cooksite. One would need to figure out restroom facilities, but if you use a compoting toilet thats taken care of .

1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. STANGF150
  10. Motomom34
  11. sdr
  12. Yard Dart