Seeking off grid community

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by livingreal, Jun 8, 2016.

1. livingreal

livingreal Monkey

I've searched other threads with this same type of question but haven't seen any recent responses. Does anyone know of any off grid communities that would offer land or simple living accommodations in trade for work. I have many skills in building trades, mechanically inclined, gardening/agriculture, cooking, and I can play a mean mandolin. I'm in my 40's but in good physical condition and can work circles around most younger than me. I'm looking for something long term and not seasonal. Anyone with ideas?

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Hang on.... I have a list. I need to dig it out and will get back to you.

PS- Welcome to the monkey!

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This one does cost like $25 to sign up for but is reputable. Assignments in the US & abroad. Workaway.info the site for cultural exchange. Gap year volunteer for food and accommodation whilst travelling abroad.

This one offers different venues- some are communities, other listings are group living Communities Directory - Find Intentional Communities

These two places you can place ads on:
    Classifieds Archive | Living Off the Grid: Free Yourself
    Prepper Groups

And we have this thread. Some have called etc...
    Two off-grid communities seeking participation | Page 7 | Survival Monkey Forums

Asia-Off-Grid, Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  4. livingreal

livingreal Monkey

Thanks Motomom34! I have looked into IC and Workaway. Most are seeking youth for work for food and board. I'm hoping to find a working off grid community where I can find a way to add my skills to and be a part of the "team" while adding value. In turn, gain a community of like minded folks that are looking to help one another maintain a "useful" lifestyle and not the "normal" lifestyle.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Alabama has cheap land and is a great growing area. You could start your own. Actually I know that may not be an option. As the economy dips and more find it harder to make ends meet, we are seeing more and more people looking for communities. Please let us know if you find one or start one.

@livingreal have you ever heard of this place?

Orange acres couch surfing community in Missoula Montana- Help Save Orange Acres Montana

They may have a listing of places. I think they have a youtube video, plus FB page.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7