SERIOUS Bugout Bikes/Motorcycles w Side Car

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by HK_User, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@HK_User I rode my old BMW opposed twin (or box motor) all over Europe and UK (to include Wales and Scotland, loved Scotland!) and went all through Ireland. Given the choice, I would take it over any of the in-line Beemers they have now because it was so damn reliable and easy to maintain, loads of stories how guys replaced a piston or a valve at a hotel while in transport.

@Tevin
    "...the Ural is one hell of a leap of faith that is totally unnecessary because there are so many other, better choices out there."
    Yes, I agree and reliability is the problem because what we would want it for it must have very high reliability and be easy to maintain. But, you must admit a 2WD side car could be darn handy. Frankly, I think there is a need and if Ural has its act together they will see that market instead of the oddity market they are playing to... It doesn't have to be fast, just super strong, super reliable and easy to repair. I would purchase one today if I could count on that because I could carry more due to the side car, better gas mileage than a car, better over rough terrain with a load, and still be able to take the wife for a run on Sunday morning for pancakes. It really is a good idea. They have a long way to go compared to reliability of say a Honda or Yamaha...

Didn't the Germans in WW2 make motorcycle the same as the Ural?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The Russians copied from the Germans. They had to take some wartime exigencies from the copies, if I got the story right, and while BMW went on to improve things up thru today, the Ural has lagged.

3. ghrit

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No doubt, as we type my brother has clocked 300,000 miles on his Boxer that he bought used it is now retired and he is into Adventure Bike. He could purchase what ever he wanted and he did, the Kawa he now rides.

A man should pick his own ride and enjoy it.

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    HK_User likes this.
  6. HK_User

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  7. Bandit99

Yeah, I thought so... You know I think the Slavs use to make one also. I think they called it the Yugo. I know nothing about them. EDIT: Nope it wasn't the Yugo as that was a car. I must be thinking of the Ural.

I wish I could find an old geezer that has an old BMW boxer that he wanted to sell. I would then try to convert it. The new beemers are just too expensive to screw with unless you win the lottery.

8. Bandit99

Here is what I want! A bit more modernized of course but the machinegun can stay.
    "M72 /BMW R71 With sidecar. Russian Military Bike Version BMW R71 , Motorcycle is reconstructed and it's efficient technically. Capacity 746 ccm sv"
    BMW  with Sidecar.

kellory and HK_User like this.
  9. ghrit

Dneipr maybe?

10. Bandit99

Yes! It's made in the Ukraine...which is why maybe we aren't hearing about them anymore since the Russians slugged them.

11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Bought a used BMW cycle in 1961. Was in college and couldn't afford a decent bike like a BSA or Harley or Italian, no jap bikes then. How things change over time. It was fun to ride in New Mexico, but the wind and sun raised heck with you. Very limited off road with the new orv's but I have had much better luck with a quad than a trike. I don't even know if they are made any more. The 3 wheelers seem to work fine until they don't and then it gets to exciting for me and I had to bail a couple times. Would be very hard to beat some of the quads, but it looks like before TSHTF, you would have more problems with law than mother nature. Never rode one of the new three wheel bikes, but they appear to be designed for high speed travel on good roads. The American and German WW II bikes would seem to be much better for bug out. Simpler, higher clearance, less weight, and used mostly off road. Didn't appear to be to stealthy though and it seems like you would be at least a fast moving large target. My choice of a bug out vehicle for off road would be a WWII sized jeep. New ones are to big for me and I can't work on them or afford to buy them.

HK_User likes this.
  12. HK_User

Yup a lot of dedication to his chosen path.

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If they haven't changed matters; a Ural can run on Russia's excuse for gasoline.

Which is really special.

14. HK_User

That would be a difficult since the 1941 design was a flat head.

Air cooled Motorcycles run best on high test. The octane rating of high test is not so much for high compression but OHV air cooled Motorcycles ted to have hot spots in the head area and the burn control of high test prevents damage.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  15. HK_User

The standard 2 wheel drive is $3000 less.

Then consider what it cost to rig out a stock bike to carry a load of some 700 lbs, shocks, springs, panniers or saddle bags and much more and I believe you will see a Ural decked our with what it takes to do this, and ride well in rough country, it would be a bargain. While you're figuring add in all your time and money for the upgrades to equal or at least try and you will find a lot of work and hours finding what you need to out fit the so called adventure bikes to an equal steed. I figure around 3K to come even close and for those who have done a lot of riding think how much easier and speedy it would be to not have to tie all your gear on and in a pinch you can just dump it in the side car. Something else to be considered for those who might be looking for a Bug Out Hack.

The Ural at $1599 will carry three and a ton of gear, spar gas,spare tire and rim, locking trunk and a passenger compartment that can be covered from the elements. Sleeping in the passenger compartment is tight but you will be dry, try that along side a road on a two wheeler.

Not some folks of Tea but if you're going to do more than ride from camp ground to motel then the URAL is still my choice.

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I'm a former engine designer for 20 years, then transmissions for 14 and finally forced induction for 11. I'm quite aware of naturally aspirated and forced induction engines.
    The short form of me is If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, and makes lots of noise, thus producing torque and recoil, it's cool.
    But if it's a ball, made out of leather or inflated with air, that's hit with a bat, racket, or club, used in a game played on a course, green, or court by yuppies, Democrats, or liberals - forget it. :)

Modern air cooled motorcycles; not the old E, EL and F, FL or flathead Harleys.

What does a flat head have to do with the quality of gas? I worked on a few low compression Harley flat heads; 45s, Ks and big twins. Mostly for folks who wanted to stay stock. Collectors are most definitely a different breed. I would have upped the compression; however, that wasn't "original."

Low compression engines load a lot of carbon; the old manuals used to list de-carburizing procedures not matter what the octane.
    With the old stuff; high compression pistons for the DL, RL and WL engines are difficult to find; same with the U. UL. ULH, VL and VLH engines.
    Built a few 45 magnums or a WL with an iron head sporty top. Built a shov-ster or a stroked Sportster with a Shovelhead top; about 93" and right quick.

I ran a pirate shop for 15 years. My bro is a journeyman machinist with a couple of lathes, a Bridgeport etc.

This is my current ride:
    [​IMG]
    Axtell big bore barrels, S&S 4-5/8 stroke, S&S super G carb with a thunderjet. About 105" Originally a Red Shift cam and now a S&S 495. I've ridden and wrenched cars and Harleys since the mid-60s.

Russian gasoline is terrible. Iron Horse magazine ran articles in the 1990s about touring Russia and their cr*p gasoline.

17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

HK_User likes this.
  18. HK_User

Man I like the URAL ride report, too much to read all now, will continue tomorrow, thanks for the link.

I packed a little over 300 lbs on the back of the Bonneville on my east to west coast trip, would have been nice to have a Ural.

19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Hacks Rule (for a reason)

20. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

After raising the hack off the ground; men learn wives rule...

When mom is not happy no one is happy, LOL

BTPost likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. HK_User
  9. the68
  10. Asia-Off-Grid