Setting up a 10/22 takedown to be stupid quiet

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Oct 27, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I now have the gemtech mist for 10/22 takedown in my possession. So the idea is to kind of build the gun around that. It's basically a 0.92 inch bull barrel that is 16'' long with no sights.

The only thing I have ever done to make a 10/22 quieter is put one of those neoprene semi stiff rubber-like rear bolt buffers in. That was mainly just to ease the bolt hammering you get on factory guns.
    I have seen buffer and pad kits around for them, has anyone ever tried one and do you think they work?

Factory stock versus something like a houge stock? Could there be any difference there?
    I have only ever used factory stocks on them, so I really don't know.

It's going to need an optic. I think I have the perfect one only catch is it attaches via m1913 rail.
    But last time I tried to find a m1913 rail for a 10/22, several years ago I was unable to locate one.

I know some people are going to be all like "the 10/22 is ghay get an ar".
    Well the idea is to make a semi auto rifle that makes about as much noise as 556 brass hitting the hard ground, less sound than the AR bolt cycling.
    I say if you are going to be Gay be Liberace gay.

SB21, Dannyboy53, STANGF150 and 5 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Having built a ton of these ( though none for my self) A large number of them were fitted with the Old Version of the Houge rubberized stock. It is nice and dead and helps dampen the sounds of cycling. A bolt buffer can help as well, I run them an all suppressed semi auto rifles. On my Bolt Actions, Only the sound of the firing pin striking the rim is heard.
    As far as a Mil 1913 rail, I will dig around and see what I can find, GG&G in Arizona used to make them as did Waren in Tigard Or so will see! I know MIllit also made them, but haven't seen one in years!
    Nothing wrong with a .22 especially a quiet one, awfully handy to have, and discrete is the name of the game, especially a take down!

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

No wonder I couldn't find that rail, I had only ever heard of it, but never had anyone call out the manufacturers by name. Now if only like 3 companies have ever made it and possibly none currently that would explain the lack of them.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't know why the Mil 1913 rails are not as popular, only that maybe folks are no longer putting high end optics on their .22's that would require a mil spec rail!

Bingo! Night Force Optics sells a True Mil Spec M-1913 ( P.N. A-312 or 313 ) Rail for the Ruger 10/22
    Lists for $57.00 on Optics Planet, but could be sourced locally or through Night Force directly! Might also check Amazon, some times they compete with Optics Planet on price!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@oil pan 4 Man-oh-man I want one of those 10/22 Takedown bad. I'll probably have to break down and purchase one even though I got a perfectly good 10/22. Make sure you post a photo after you get it all tricked out and tell us what you did and how it worked out.

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I have a homeless Leopold CQ-T for it.

I found am m1913 rail on amazon, of course.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    sec_monkey, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The Hogue Stock is P.N 21040 for the Ruger Take Down ! Hogue Ruger Classic basis black!

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well right now it looks like that mist barrel, Leopold scope, buffer kit, easy bolt release and houge stock eventually.

Oh might have to go with a magpul stock.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2018
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

About these Hogue Stocks... Are they actually made of rubber or is it rubber coated? And, did I misread or do they help to deaden the sound of the bolt cycling? I am looing at their site now, certainly look cool. I expect they are very durable? I never heard of them but I like what I see...

I don't think that Standard 21040 will accept that 0.92 inch bull barrel, probably have to go with the 21050 or something else but appears they make a lot that will fit it.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It depends.
    The pistol grips are all rubber usually, but the rifle stocks are hard plastic or composite with thick rubber coating.

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

All the ones I did were thick plastic with a full rubber coating over the entire stock, very durable, and very quiet! The rubber coating helps atunate the sound energy and vibrations, makes for a really nice set up for a traditional shape stock!

The mag pull are very nice, but kind if funky! They do feel nice, and they are very well made. It all comes down to personal taste! Boyds does a nice laminate stock, but don't know if they do one for the take down.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2018
    Bandit99, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  12. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[worthless] :D

13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I 2 need to make my take downs very quite !! Also catch spent with a muffler for the breach of brass.
    Sloth

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I just want a bullpup stock that does not look like a Star Trek prop.

15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you own a traditional/standard Ruger 10/22, you could go with the AA stock and turn it into a take down.

Cruisin Sloth, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I like the mods so far mentioned. I'd have to do something with the magazine release. The old (flat) style was tough to operate with cold fingers, and the newer style (tab that hangs down in front of trigger guard) is painfully sharp on cold fingers. My preferred release is just a nub that runs across the . release and can be operated with the side of your finger with a mitten on. I've had them on two of my 10/22's for more than 30 years. They're simple, functional, and inexpensive... and I never get my finger stuck behind the thing or cut a frozen hand on a sharp edge.

10/22 Extended Magazine Release, attachable - Black Dog Machine

You, hopefully, already possess the greatest suppressed 10/22 noise reducer. It'll be a straight pull bolt action repeater this way, but you get no noise from the bolt if you just hold it shut during firing with your thumb.

Before you get visions of broken thumbs, consider the power of the .22, especially with subsonic ammo.
    It's not a thumb breaker. I was surprised to find that I can hold the slide shut on a Glock 17 with solid thumb pressure. It's one of those things that just isn't done, but might be useful somewhere.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You are right. I do have an extended mag release on my old one.
    It's been on there for nearly 20 years so I forgot how lame the factory ones are.

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I had an extended mag release on mine,It worked too well,We managed to loose a couple of mags in the woods just by bumping it to hard.
    I removed it and went back factory.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Id buy one the take downs are nice , but slow .. I like the option of brokers post ,different barrel lengths ..
    I'll buy @ 200 beans , plus I have a few 10-22Rs..

Brokor and sec_monkey like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I already have the gemtech barrel.
    Just picked it up Monday actually.
    Found a 10/22 takedown target shooting model with the bull barrel for $500, going to go pick it up Friday or Saturday.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7