Shelf Life and Food Storage Information

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by RightHand, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Benjamin A. Wood, Ganado and Zimmy like this.
  2. john316

john316 Monkey+++

20 april 2019
    we are eating some canned StarKist gourmet choice solid white albacore tuna fillet in water dated 02/27/2012....
    we have many cans.....all are pop top......my wife opened one and it was a DARK BLACK MESS..........WE HAVE BEEN USING 1 or 2 each day...all looked like tuna...OK taste
    i have never had that with a non pop top
    MEAT GENERALLY WILL LAST IN A CAN a long time

MY BEST FIND ON SHELVE LIFE....
    How Long Does Canned Food Last?

I DO NOT LIKE POP TOP CANS FOR LONG TERM
    POP TOPS ON FRUIT do not last

"CANNED MILK does last long"
    I opened a can of Nestie lowfat sweetened condensed milk dated JAN/2017....DARKER BROWN THAN A YOUNG CAN....TASTED OK ...worked in coffee very good... but i think i will use up most of my stock....maybe save some to taste test over the next few years.
    IF the date is 2year old... that is 4 year 3 month old milk.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Ganado, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Unless it is a tomato product. When I checked my late father's canned goods, all the tomato product cans were rusty, many were corroded open making a mess. Use tomato products within a couple years.

4. john316

john316 Monkey+++

SUGAR……AND SALT KEEP IT DRY…. it is easer to make sugar from a rock than to make sugar from the ground...DON’T PUT it in a glass jar for long term…..use 5 gal pail, plastic….if you must use a jar---use a plastic one that you can cut open

4. HARD LIQUOR...I store 190 proof Everclear..you can drink it, rub it on, clean a cut, burns very well

Canned goods with a lot of acid should be in glass jars!!!!! tomatoes, pineapple, YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES

thats a glass GLASS JAR………….NOT a plastic jar

I WOULD SAY…...any food will last longer in a GLASS JAR than plastic

MEAT...CANNED meat will a long time, I am eating Hormel ROAST BEEF & GRAVY with a best by date of April, 2013…….over 6 years out of date….FINE TASTING

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    DuxDawg and Yard Dart like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One thing to keep in mind when building your stores is that rotation becomes a necessity lest something goes bad while you are waiting for the "incident". What you will find is that once the stores are built up, you will still need to hit your fave food seller on a regular basis for fresh and rotational replacements. You ain't gonna save miles or money on replen runs once your storage is "enough."

DuxDawg, RightHand and Zimmy like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i realy dont understand this strange obsession with food storage over a couple of years.

after 2 years you will either be able to grow new fud or be dead.... so what is the point of 15 year old or 30 year old food?

Magdala_Buckley and Zimmy like this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

1st, you don't have to turn it over in the rotation so quickly,.

2nd, long term stable foods are fairly cheap for emergency rations if more quality people come to your group than originally planned.

3rd, these foods could be used to help prevent food burn out and malnutrition. If SHTF too late to get crops in the first year and the rains don't come the second year another year has to be managed until crops can be grown to maturity. This story was repeated over and over in the settlement of this country and led to starvation, illnesses, and the abandonment of settlements.

4th, some folks prep for a large extended family and food requiring annual rotation causes problem because of another food burn out for the central prepper who stores most of the goods. I store a variety but don't want beans or rice at every meal.

john316 and DuxDawg like this.
  8. DuxDawg

DuxDawg Monkey++

For me it's about exploring the possibilities now while healthcare and food options are plentiful and cheap. Then if there ever were an actual situation where options are severely curtailed, I have theoretical AND real world knowledge dealing with many issues, including past date food. Much the same as my practicing primitive, aboriginal, homesteading, etc skills.

By the way, helping grandparents move is an excellent chance to try out of date foods.

john316, Ganado and Zimmy like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

some great points @Zimmy and @DuxDawg ty both for answering honestly and sincerely, I was just taught food storage and rotation management so long term storage isnt really an issue for me. And i always appreciate a different and fresh perspective. As my tastes and my family's dietary needs change so does my storage. I always consider nutritional value over the long term as well. Time degrades all food no matter how well you preserve it.

Zimmy likes this.
  10. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

When is the two years going to start and how long will it take me to acquire what I will need?

john316 likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

if your rotating you have two years on hand and are rotating every year. My apologies i assumed that was clear. To be more clear you rotate as you go.. IF you garden the canned goods get replenished every summer and fall when you can. If you are not a canner then you have two years on hand and rotate as you use your stores and replenish as you go.

I think most people make the mistake of thinking prepping is a static or constant. You dont just prep once and its done, its an ongoing project of rotation, use and replenishment. It isnt for everyone or for anyone who is lazy

DuxDawg, 3cyl and oldawg like this.
  12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I knew what you meant. But, my food storage is for 22 people for one year. There is only one of me. So, only minor rotation is possible. And there is also the possibility that out-of-town, and even out-of-state people will show up who I want or feel compelled to provide for. Then their are those I will want to provide for to add to the security of my BOL. Lots of reason, in my opinion.

john316 and Zimmy like this.
  13. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

yeh - gardening is just digging a hole and throwing some seeds in - Right?? - if you don't have prepared garden space it could take years just to get the soil halfway decent - and then the question of the calendar timing of the SHTF, your climate, effects of the SHTF on the climate/weather, garden supplies & tools and above all the gardener's skill & knowledge ...

your stored food is your hedge until your self sufficiency plan kicks in - and if the overall SHTF situation looks serious enough >>> your plan needs to jump into gear

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    DuxDawg, Ganado and Zimmy like this.
  14. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

7F81059A-CA74-49C8-BCA6-A98C4DB0B550. Might be a good idea for a food storage area. I purchased “Mouse Magic” which smelled like strong mint and it worked.

15. Illini Warrior

the plug in sonic devices work also - that constant tone that's emitted will drive them crazy - great for wide open space like a garage where they enter the home under the garage doors ...

T. Riley likes this.
  16. DuxDawg

DuxDawg Monkey++

Never tried storing Irish Spring where mice can get at it. Have had mice eat other brands of bar soap many, many times.

Ganado, Zimmy and T. Riley like this.
  17. john316

john316 Monkey+++

1 SEPT 2020

SHELF LIFE...PEANUT BUTTER, SMUCKER’S NATURAL CREAMY in a glass jar, 6 years

27 AUGUST 2020….OPENED A JAR OF PEANUT BUTTER with a “BEST IF USED BY:” date of DEC 6,2015

OVER 4.5 YEARS PAST THE “BEST IF USED BY:” date

that is 2 years after they make it

the last jar I opened had the same date

TOOK A FEW MINUTES TO MIX THE OIL ON THE SURFACE BACK INTO THE PEANUT BUTTER

IT SMELLED GOOD,

IT TASTED GOOD,

IT IS GREAT

a 16 oz. Jar, 454 g, has 14 servings of 2 Tbsp (32g) with 8 g of protein

ONE OF THE BEST PROTEIN FOR LONG TERM STORAGE

RECAP

PEANUT BUTTER IN A PLASTIC JAR WOULD BE RANCID BY NOW

(ANYTHING IN A PLASTIC CONTAINER WILL HAVE SHORTER SHELF LIFE THAN A GLASS CONTAINER.)

18. recon

recon Senior Member Founding Member

19. Illini Warrior

sorry - but I wouldn't follow a single thing on that list >>> some are total BS - sugar doesn't expire - most items would be expired on the store shelf by following some of those timeframes posted ....

john316, DuxDawg and Ganado like this.
  20. john316

john316 Monkey+++

1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. JC Refuge
  9. jefferson
  10. Dunerunner
  11. jefferson
  12. Motomom34
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Coyote Ridge
  15. stg58
  16. duane
  17. Motomom34
  18. TnAndy