Shelf Life and Food Storage Information

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by RightHand, Sep 23, 2006.

1. john316

john316 Monkey+++

05062021 OPENED A CAN OF Hormel roast beef&gravy, 12 OZ ,BEST BY 03/03/2013

LOOKS FINE,,TASTE FINE,GREAT
    CANNED CHICKEN,BEEF,CORNED BEEF,FISH IN WATER OR OIL,CANNED BREAD

ALL GREAT

T. Riley, Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

F8BCE109-2855-4FC8-855E-CBC8669B10F0. 9DF9F10E-A110-4E4F-9219-F3C841CAFD0A. E8A7FD71-A34B-4B5F-907C-A426B856E9B8. I am moving my BOL. At 72 I cannot keep up with the demands of the farm and no one want to do manual labor when the government is giving away money. I have to downsize my food storage by 70%. Some of it is now 10 years old. I am testing the oldest of each item to determine its quality. This is pinto beans and rice from LDS placed in storage in 10/2011. Still perfect.

This is Instant yeast stored in the freezer since 2013 on the left and Active yeast stored in the refrigerator since 2017 on the right. Both proofed out fine. Expiration dates on cups.

926EBCC9-3C96-4E22-BE9B-9CEBA47DF14E.

3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

that 2013 can of stew was still the old solid lid that needed a can opener - not the new zip open lids ....

john316, Gator 45/70 and T. Riley like this.
  4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I had never heard of this before. Might be worth trying.

Screenshot_20221006-082252_MeWe.

Gator 45/70, john316 and GOG like this.
  5. Minuteman

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

See, one can learn something, every day, if they spend their time wisely.... Yesterday, I learned that they found the Primary Cancer Tumor in my Son's Colon and his Treatment Team got the results back from the Genetics Department, and this particular Strain Of Metatastic Colon Cancer, has an exploitive DNA link that they have a new and very effective drug that specifically targets this DNA Link and Kills these cells DEAD as a Fritter... And this is the first Positive News we have received on his condition since he learned he had the BIG C, two weeks ago...

7. Minuteman

That's great BT. Praying for a full recovery.

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. BTPost

We need all the prayers we can get…

9. BTPost

AlaksaChick took our Son to his scheduled Chemo Yesterday... She is an RN, so she can administer into him.. He gets this Chemo loading for three days running, once every two weeks... His Blood Tests for the Cancer Markers has fallen off considerably after just three rounds of the Treatment... He actually took a six hour Shift, as the ParaMedic, on Call, at the Utah Jazz BasketBall Game this last weekend, and did fine, but it took a day to recover, because his stamina is shot to hell... All the above has been Good News and the kind of Miracle, we all have Prayed for, so Thank You ALL for your thoughts and Prayers...

10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

This thread is an oldie but a goodie! I review it regularly, like today, as I was making out a grocery list plus a few extras that I intend to add to the pantry. What with inflation and the threat of a diesel fuel shortage it's a good idea to buy extra of those items that you use regularly and that will last. You can pay now, or you can pay more later...if there is anything to buy later!

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. john316

john316 Monkey+++

02112022 OPENED A CAN OF PLUMROSE PREMIUM HAM, 16 OZ ,BEST BY 05/26/2014

LOOKS FINE,,TASTE FINE,GREAT
    CANNED CHICKEN,BEEF,CORNED BEEF,FISH IN WATER OR OIL,CANNED BREAD

ALL GREAT

12. matijasever

matijasever Monkey

Good to know!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    chelloveck likes this.
  13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

john316 has been posting regularly up to this date, so he must have survived eating 7 years and 6 months (approx) past the recommended use by date. (y)

14. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Did this after watching a video on it. If you decide to do it, resist the urge to fill anything larger than those 1 gallon jars. Even in water eggs have weight. I did a 5 gallon bucket. Some on the bottom cracked from the weight. Didn't notice it until they started to smell.

Yeah.:sick:

15. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

My wife opened a 30-year stored #10 can of sugar we put up back in the day..

No surprise, it was slightly caked, but otherwise, the cookies turned out great.

recon, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Would have been good if it was 60-years old, because sugar will last forever...also honey and salt!

recon and Seawolf1090 like this.
  17. recon

recon Senior Member Founding Member

Anyone have a old can of Spam laying around? I did. It was dated 2014. Tasted great! Granted I like spam anyway. :)

DKR, john316, Zimmy and 1 other person like this.
  18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Some years back I had a can of SPAM still within it's "best by:" date, but when opened it had gone moldy! I have read that the pop tops don't seal as well as the old style needing a can opener.

Zimmy likes this.
  19. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

If you never hear from me again after Saturday morning....you know what happened.

Seawolf1090, CraftyMofo and DKR like this.
  20. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I am living on freeze dried and dehydrated food I purchased in 2010-2014. I have enough to feed me for the rest of my life. I spend about $50 or less each moth at the store. Haven’t been at all in March.

ditch witch, Zimmy and Seawolf1090 like this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. JC Refuge
  9. jefferson
  10. Dunerunner
  11. jefferson
  12. Motomom34
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Coyote Ridge
  15. stg58
  16. duane
  17. Motomom34
  18. TnAndy