Shelter

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Jeff Brackett, Mar 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Friend of mine knows of my interest in prepping & sent me the below link. If anyone wants to buy a new vacation home, take a look. :) Very interesting, if a bit out of my price range. LOL.

Welcome to Steel Storm Shelters

apocalypticfiction likes this.
  2. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Out of my range,too.And if your door opens out and a tree falls on it,you're SOL.Door should open inwards.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AND, one of the biggest ISSUES with Underground Shelters, is their Air Intakes, and Air Vents. If they are easily seen, or NOT camouflaged, and hidden, they are vulnerable to being either closed off, or exploited by an OpForce, and thus forcing the occupants out of the Bunker. ..... YMMV....

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Another name for an Underground Shelter is, A TOMB.

Fine for a temp. shelter from storms.

HK

5. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

In the Army, we used to call these types of things "mass graves"

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Understood, I think most in the US would be surprised how many bunkers I've seen in my world travles.

The only bunkers that I saw and know of that were not taken down are in Hawaii and Galveston.

I will suggest that was because the 2nd Ammendent has been in force for so many years.

HK

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Bet ya at the first whiff of a gallon or so of gas whoever is inside will come out.

A military bunker is quite a different subject than an underground shelter.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Nueclear Fallout shelter would be nice

Silversnake likes this.
  9. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

I've looked at many different designs, as, we had originally planned on doing an earthship/inground house once moving to colorado..

$50 and Up Underground House Book – Underground Housing and Shelter
    has some interesting design ideas, and we're gonna experiment and incorporate some into the greenhouse for sure..

then there is this guy,
    The Everything about a Bunker thread - Pic heavy - Survivalist Forum

New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) - Survivalist Forum

Post pics and / or tell how your BOL would function - Survivalist Forum

He's been working on his, for a few years, and his confident that even if you figure out where it is, you'd be hard pressed to force yourself upon him..

TheEconomist likes this.
  10. nice!

With all of the recent tornados it would be great to have one of these!

11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Excellent weblinks and post, Suerto

Thank you for the weblinks and the post, Suerto. It is posts like these that make visiting SM worthwhile.

It provides much food for thought for those who wish to construct a bu.... erm, root cellar, as protection against the gov...ahem,....mutant zombie bikers. I already have the $50 or Under Underground Home, but the images in the web-linked pages are a treasure trove of information and inspiration.

The pics sure used up a fair swag of bandwidth, but well worth it.

Well done!

12. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

no problem chello, towards the end of summer I should have some more fairly interesting stuff to post, as, we will be implementing many of these interesting ideas into some of our projects..

13. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The only reason I could justify an underground bunker (besides that its just cool) is for tornados. I can't see staying in one for any great length of time, the ventilation shaft is such a dead giveaway, not to mention I live with a wife and four girls. Can you imagine staying in a bunker long term while you are drowning in estrogen? Yeah, if there was a nuclear concern it would be good for a week or so, but I really cannot see us staying in one longer than that. Just my two cents. I would rather have the thousands to spend on more land,or a reinforced panic room + lots of preps and firearms. Just my two cents.

14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I guess the need for an underground / earth bermed shelter will depend upon the risks identified in the site's risk assessment plan. Tornados, cyclones, hurricanes, fallout may be a greater or lesser risk depending on geography. It is also a cost benefit exercise, evaluating the pros and cons of a bunker / root cellar / hardened panic room. Whatever the option chosen...camouflage, concealment, deception,and at least 2 means of egress / exit (at least one of which should be concealed ought be some of the minimum considerations.

Retrofitting a shelter will have it's challenges, particularly with camouflage, concealment and deception, but not impossible if planned and executed carefully.

15. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

If it comes down to living in a confined space with five females,I'll take my chances on the tender mercies of the zombies.If I have to be a martyr,let it be on my terms..

16. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

earth ships or in ground houses or underground houses, require less heating in winter months.. as long as you like 50/60deg temps, as opposed to -25.. lol

many of the "earth ship" designs actually have integrated much more natural lighting, and no longer have a "concrete bunker" feel anymore..

just sayin..
    YMMV

17. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

has anyone thought about putting a ventilation shaft inside of an old tree stump? Say the tree stump is 8' tall, that would be high enough to ensure anyone other than Yao Ming couldnt see it.

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  18. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

easily seen with fleer.. or infra red. IWI..

Brother and I had thought about doing something like that back on the fam property for an underwater hidey-hole in the swamp..

Mountain man from the survivalist forum (the links I posted) did it with his hidey-hole, check it out..

BTPost likes this.
  19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I always figured hiding the Intake and Exhaust as part of a SwingSet AFrame Structure would be an easy thing to do, and would look very natural in a Backyard. The other idea for a design, is to build a Brick BackYard BBQ Pit with 8 foot chimney, and hide the Intake and Exhaust Piping inside that chimney, along with the standard Fire Pit Flue.... Either one would be a very good Camo, for such systems, as they are naturally found in many backyards, everywhere, and likely overlooked by passing Zombies, Mutant, or otherwise.... .... YMMV....

Silversnake likes this.
  20. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

I dunno what kind of fancy backyard BBQ you are accustomed too BT, but mines usually a $25 Wally world grill.. Sans stacks..
    ccc

1. mechstdr
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. TinyDreams
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. DKR
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid