Shipping Container As An Underground storage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

2. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I think I'd try this if I could find a place close that had Shipping containers. I was thinking of a 10' drain pipe and put a floor in it with storage under the floor !!

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Why?

If he was going to dig and put in forms, why not just cast the walls at the same time? I know cement is not cheap - but neither are connex containers.

Neat project and all, I guess I just don't see the point. Anyway, thanks for the post.

4. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

the hole would have to be a giant french drain in most areas I would think.

larryinalabama likes this.
  5. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Wasn't there a question of top-load weight in another thread here somewhere?

6. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Could always write that hot bank robber chick Lee Grace Dougherty and ask how they constructed their bunker.

7. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

As I've said before containers are designed to support an incredible vertical load at each corner.
    If you bury one without adding alot of cross supports to the sides,and roof it will collapse.
    With the amount of labor,and material cost of burying a container.You could build an earthformed reinforced thin shelled concrete structure(similar to a monolithic dome)that you could park a tank on top of,is everything proofed,and will have a 500yr est.lifespan.
    Matt

Cephus likes this.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

During a really wet season the thing will likley try to float to the serfice

9. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Go to SurvivalBlog.com and read about shipping containers as a bunker. There's a lot of information on that sight (IMO, it's a beaten dead horse there) and Rawles is negative on the concept.

10. gmt48

gmt48 Monkey+

Very interesting project. Thanks for detailing it's construction.
    How long ago was it completed? Since its been in use is there anything you would have done differently? Annual rainfall drainage would be my big concern as well as having power or fuel to run the sump. Maybe something passive like a drainage system of some sort?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7