1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Shipping Container Cabins

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by chelloveck, Jun 11, 2014.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

2. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

In Alaska, these are done "All the Time".... Usually with Old Refer Containers.... No further insulation Required....
    They usually build a False Roof on them to Shed Snow & Ice..... .....
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Old refrigeration containers would be perfect for Alaska. I would have never thought of it, or a roof!!
  4. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

My beautiful bride really liked this post. She said she had liked these concept homes for years. She then said it is unfortunately we're too old to start building with those... o_O
    oldawg and chelloveck like this.
  5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++ Site Supporter

Refrigeration container... isn't that just called a refrigerator? And Alaska... that's were Eskimos reside, yes? So you guys are talking about selling refrigerators to Eskimos.... ?

Dunerunner and kellory like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Insulation works both ways ---
    kellory likes this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Funny, but; Yes!! Put a wood stove in one and you stay warm. The insulation keeps the cold out, but they are air tight, so a window, door or some other leaky port hole would have to provide some air. If done right a wood stove could be provided air directly from outside, conserving warm the air in the reefer box. Great idea.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    chelloveck likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Most "smart" wood stove Users, will provide an External (to the Building) Air Source for the FireBox. Especially, in Cold Climates. Not very efficient to use Heated Air to keep the Fire Burning
    chelloveck likes this.
  9. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+ Site Supporter+

I love this idea but they ain't cheap. I checked around here and they sell the standard containers very close to my home but since this concept has gained popularity, the sellers have jacked their prices, because they can.
    chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary