Shipping container homes

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by BAT1, Jan 30, 2007.

1. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

First off this is not spam. I ran across a cool site that turns all these shipping containers foriegn countries leave here. Cheap to aquire and will last forever, and they are fireproof. Being in construction, these prototypes are just up my ally.
    www.inhabitat.com/2006/06/30/prefab-friday-adam-kalkin I want to build some thing like this.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We looked at shipping containers years ago for storage purposes, it might be a good idea to price some and see what they are selling for now. With a torch and a welder, I can accessorize as I want.

3. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Thanks for the reply. I've got a metal saw that I've used on some corrugated buildings, but a torch would come in handy too. They are running about 500.00 for rusty ones to 1500.00 for perfect ones. They are stackable for two story. I would bury one or two under the structure for "extreme events" and to cool the air for A/C by drawing it in from the outside and blowing it into the main courtyard.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Interesting, the onewith the courtyard looks like a prefab prison don't go giving the govt any ideas... ( take the ladders out,)
    Plasma cutter would be better; leaves a cleaner (saw like) edge,

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Military has been doing this for years. Spent many ah nights in these things. We use them for mortar bunkers here, some T-walls around it and sand bags on top. Instant shelter.

6. andrew414

andrew414 Howdy.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I think it'll do me some good to learn a bit more about this. Housing ain't cheap anywhere, and I'll be looking to build or buy in a year or so. (Now all I need to know is where --)

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Go west young man ;)

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

North first, then west on the exploration. [touchdown][touchdown][touchdown]

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have thought that burying one would make a real nice cellar.

11. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I saw this on a show on TV, Discovery or one of those channels, show from the ground prep to dropping off the units to make a apartment complex.

12. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wow, it would be a great BO cabin. Stacked two high all the way around, with a nice courtyard. Great for keeping out the zombie horde. Line the outside with half inch plate in "secure areas" and this thing would be impervious to small scale assault as long as you have portals to shoot the enemy through and supplies to last the duration. I like it.
    overseasapartment.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7