Shipping Container Myths and Points to Ponder

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Seawolf1090, Apr 8, 2013.

1. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

there is also a product called bitchathane ...
    i helped a guy fix his basement once and he had hat and it seamed to work ...

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bituthane. Membrane, works well IF the field seams are done right AND it isn't exposed to sharp edges.

3. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i like my speeling better

4. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

(In cheesy, Yackoff fake Russian accent...) Komrades! Use the Mother Russia method! A simple, liberal coating of the People's Cosmoline, then pack shipping container in finest Soviet straw, then build crate around shipping container. Seemple! 500 million Mosin Nagants can't be wrong!

And remember, in Soviet Russia, Apocalypse survives YOU!

Beano and kellory like this.
  5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

just wrap the hole thing in denzo tape and no more problems

6. ghrit

You're fine, I knew what you meant. It wasn't obvious it's a membrane like sheet roofing to just everybody --

KAS likes this.
  7. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Don't forget, it won't matter what you're using to make a steel container water resistant, if the water doesn't drain away. Always a good idea to build where you have a natural slope to drain away, then put a French drain system around the base of the buried container. This is what they do with houses that sit underground, too.

As far as a coating goes, I wish I knew what they used, when I worked for the Navy (in Guam), for the underground fuel pipelines. Man, that stuff was damn near impregnable, and combined with an active cathodic protection system, had kept 40+ year old pipelines from rusting through! [winkthumb]

8. ghrit

I'll make an educated guess that the coating is coal tar epoxy. Pretty good stuff for pipelines, and I've promised death and dismemberment for some folks (if I ever find them) that put it on stainless steel bolt heads. You have to burn it off to get a wrench on.

9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Could be. I know you could scrape and wire brush that stuff forever, but the moment you hit it with a torch flame, it would burst into flame! Good stuff!! ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7