Shoe laces: How many uses

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was talking to someone regarding my survival gear and they suggested that I have extra shoe laces. I started thinking and shoe laces have many uses besides keeping our shoes on. So how many uses can you think of for shoe laces?

Uses that I can think of so far:
    -Band to hold my glasses around my neck
    -Tie a water bottle to my backpack or jeans
    -Tie on a splint
    -Help tie my hair back
    -Use to turn a tarp into a tent

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If we make the assumption that you left everything else at home, there might be a need for a tourniquet.

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I always keep a few extra pairs of 76 inch bootlaces handy, never know when you may need them!

4. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Other people's laces make great hand cuffs

Ganado, Zimmy, sec_monkey and 4 others like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I got a pair of logger leather boot laces in the bag, think they are at least 72 inch but think what is much better is a small roll of 550 cord or some of the new 750 or 850 para cord. Won't rot, won't stretch, a lot stronger and you can even use it as shoe laces.

Zimmy, sec_monkey, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have used them for pull starts on small engines, I use them on one of my small steam engines to drive small pumps, they can make a temp belt for your car or truck engine, i have used them to work the windshield wipers on my Jeep, and even made a temp linkage for the automatic trans when the safety pin broke and the linkage fell off! I have used laces to clean the barrels of rifles and pistols, line backing on fishing reels, tying crab pots together, securing my anchor chain to rope when the clevise broke. I have used them to make a temp leash for my dogs, and to secure things on the dog cart or packs. I usually have one wrapped around my wide brim aussi out back hat.

I started using 550 cord on my boots, and other areas where I normally would use something like that, but I still keep bootlaces close at hand! Waxed laces are really nice to have, especially for medical emergencies, they can make quick ties and slip knots! Being water proof, it also lasts much longer, and in an emergency, can be used as fire starter, or a small light source! They really work great for lashing any thing you need!

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I saw a video that you can use shoe laces to make a bow (think bow & arrow) but think the lace would not have enough give.

One can make a snare out of laces.

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We once had to make a fan belt out of some in a boat, We made it in running slow, But we still made it!

Zimmy, sec_monkey, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  9. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Cotton laces can be used as the wick in an expedient oil lamp.

Seawolf1090, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

550 cord boot laces is there any other kind????

DKR, Zimmy and Bandit99 like this.
  11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

The BATFE used one to turn an AR-15 into a machine gun.

oldawg, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You guys beat me to the FAN BELT Replacement.... When we were first dating, I took AlaskaChick on a weekend hike in the Cascades, up near Mt Index, on Maloney Ridge... in my ‘55 Dodge PowerWagon Panel Truck... We parked it at the end of the Logging Road, high up on the Ridge, and I noticed that the Engine was getting HOT..... Popped the hood and NO Fan Belt... Crap.... Let the pressure, out of the Cooling System and poured stream water into the Radiator, and filled it up, then was thinking about how far I could get before it boiled over again, and Momma say “Why don’t you use my Boot Laced, to make a Temperary Fan Belt.” Good idea, We went clear up to TOP LAKE, and camped out, overnite... Came back down to the truck, made a the Temp Fan Belt from her Boot Laces, and drove down to Skycomish, and bought a TWO New Belts, and drove home... We still giggle about that trip...

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thinking a bit further, seems fine to have ideas that shoelaces can be used for all sorts of things.That's all fine and dandy, but isn't it better to be prepared for such a need? The best and highest use for shoelaces is for shoes/boots, whatever. Carry spares? No, not if I have other cordage that has more uses. (For what it's worth, 550 cord won't fit the eyelets on my boots, I checked and you should.)

And my statement above for tourniquet use, don't do it if you have ANY other alternative. Shoelaces will cut; better to sacrifice your belt, and no matter what, use a compress over the artery under whatever you are using for cinching it up.

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I knew a guy that hanged himself in jail with shoe-laces.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and DKR like this.
  15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

It's a very good thing I wasn't that young lady's father because I would not have believed a word of it! LOL!!!

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

If I use my shoelaces for anything other than lacing my shoes - my shoes come off my feet.....

I carry 550 cord in my EDC, you know, just in case.

17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I started using boot laces long before para cord was cool, long before you could even get it! Admittedly, 550 cord is much more better at most things, but old habits die hard!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Bandit99 I am NOT sure he ever knew about that trip... It was a couple of weeks before we got married, and she hadn’t been living at home for a year or two by then... I never had a issue with her Dad from the beginning, but her Mom, now that is a Different Story, altogether... But after 40+ Years, even that seems to be less of an issue.. I just do NOT mess with her Television, or computer... I leave those to AlaskaChick’s younger Brother.... and after 2 years she even likes the 60” FlatScreen Tv I bought them, but ONLY AFTER the Brother said it was a GREAT Tv...

Ura-Ki, Dont, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  19. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

1. David sling
    2. Hand cuffs
    3.windless engine trap
    4. Lashings
    5. Staff sling
    6. Nunchucks
    7. Snare
    8. Booby trap
    9. Snare pole
    10. Rope dart
    11. Ojibwa bird trap
    12. Fishing line
    13. Garrote
    14. Swiss arrow thrower
    15. Tourniquet
    16. Belt
    17. Monkey fist
    18. Jumaring rope
    19. Bow drill
    20. Pump drill
    21. Bull roar string
    22. Pace counter
    23. Bola
    24. Pack straps
    25. Thong
    26. Hair tie
    27. Head band
    28. Wrist strap
    29. Lanyard
    30. Neck survival kit

SB21, Lancer, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  20. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

More years ago than I care to remember, but let's call it around 30, I started saving the used, still-in-good condition shoe laces from any pair of my shoes that were worn out beyond repair (maybe already on their 2nd set of laces). Mostly they were jogging shoes, but boot laces got into my re-use pile, too.

Several times a pair of shoe laces got a second chance at a different pair of joggers. As mentioned in earlier posts, a strong piece of string has many purposes. Like a lot of useful things in life (guns, ammo, good knife, fire starting kit, etc.), "When you need it, you need it bad."

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. Motomom34
  3. hot diggity
  4. Motomom34
  5. Hanzo
  6. Ganado
  7. Shinzo
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. Bishop
  11. Bishop