Shoe laces: How many uses

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have one pair of boots that I have camo paracord used for the laces. But I don't intend to strip them out, if in the boonies. My boots would come off. o_O

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They're useful enough to where the cops will take your shoe laces when they put you in jail.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Nice list. I notice most of yours listed are weapons or deterrents of sorts. I had to look up a couple of those listed.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Bishop like this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Guess I am screwed all of my footwear is pull on, velcro or metal snap hooks.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Tying up veggies, both to support stakes while growing and the provide circulation afterward (think garlic and gourds.)

oldman11, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Can't go wrong with a good improvise weapon out of shoe strings

oldman11, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I run my boot laces 2X the needed length. The excess I just wrap around the boot top. But that gives me about 30" of line per boot should it come down to that.

oldman11, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Speaking of the handiness of 550 para cord, the inner strands can be used as a thick sewing thread to make field repairs of one's damaged or cut gear if one has a large sewing needle in his kit for such repairs. There are about seven inner strands (usually white) that comprise the core of the para cord with the olive drab nylon jacket forming the "tube" that keeps them together. One could easily cut a 30-inch section of 550 para cord with the intent of using the 7 (+/-) inner strands as standby thick threads for repairing field gear.

I can't recall if such a practice has been mentioned here before, and apologies for my redundancy if it has. I have used 550 cord inner strands in repairing the torn material of collapsible "bag" outdoor chairs, as well as the torn leather of favorite pairs of work gloves. The strands are about 3 times thicker than normal sewing thread, and far stronger, so be prepared with that beefy needle.

An added technique for such repairs is the use of a weather resistant type of glue (such as Devcon Home All Purpose Adhesive) to coat the thread after the repairs are completed.

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

then they have to schlep along in their unlaces shoes as well... makes them clumsy... clever!

oldman11, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Boot laces can be, and have been used as a means of committing suicide, and are often confiscated from prisoners....for that very reason.

Motomom34 and oldman11 like this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Boot lace and PVC pipe nunchucks

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Im with ya. My boots eat laces for lunch and now I use 550 and heat shrink the ends. I have also seen people take a soda straw slipped over the ends and heated. As for boot lace uses...how about fishing line. I would take the filament strands from my 550 laces that way youcan still use the outer part to tie your boots while fishing.

chelloveck and Bandit99 like this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

550 cord will cut right through plastic handi cuffs. Get one end through the cuff and saw them right off. Might be tough to do alone, but you could cut others free if that was all you had.

I've got some 550 cord laces that are 5 years old, worn every day, and show no signs of fraying or wear. They stay tied too.

Ganado likes this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

5 years of working in a prison and saw this happen a few times. Their better uses for laces was tying them together and passing items among cells, and tying one end to their lock (they have a lock for their locker) and whacking someone with it. A Master lock on a 36" lace will break bones and kill dead when applied to the head. They could also tie a few together and flush them down the toilet, and an inmate on a lower floor could snag it to pass small items through the sewer.

15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

So much imagination and talent wasted in prison. Many of them could've had a bright future in government. Oh wait... some of them already have.

SB21 and Tempstar like this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I keep a length of 550 paracord in my EDC .
    It started off at 50' long but I'm sure its down to about 30' by now. when it gets to about 20' long I'll replace it with another 50' .
    I wear Velcro closure type shoes no laces .
    Mountaineering I wear appropriate foot wear, and I would avoid removing my boot laces at all costs, simply because they are performing a safety protection I will not compromise.

Ganado likes this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. Motomom34
  3. hot diggity
  4. Motomom34
  5. Hanzo
  6. Ganado
  7. Shinzo
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. Bishop
  11. Bishop