Short term-WW 3 are you ready for rationing?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by stg58, Nov 29, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Right and with gas prices down the ethanol free gas is about the price of gas with ethanol a few months back.

This site will help folks find "real gas".

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have several pumps close here as we have so many boaters in Michigan. Its about 3.40 a gallon right now for Ethanol free. Might be lower as the last few days gas has gone way down. 1.73 for regular gas now here. Might see ethanol free go down to under 3 bucks.

Marck likes this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Speaking of tires and their enemy, sharp objects, suggest to me and all others that each vehicle have a SLIME repair kit.

Myself, I keep the recommended amount in all off road vehicles and carry the large repair and compressor kit in all road worthy vehicles.

Who needs a flat when the Zombies are closing in?
    HK

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Marck, Tully Mars, Airtime and 2 others like this.
  4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have a different brand called fix a flat. All in one aerosol can which seals and fills the tire.

3cyl likes this.
  5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

If you carry a can of Fix-a-Flat in your car, keep it inside 4-5 non sealed plastic bags (so the compressed air doesn't burst them) and then in a box or two or something. A friend's husband accidentally set off a can in the back of her van. The smell was horrible and after multiple detail cleanings, replacing the carpet that got sprayed and other attempts they could never totally get rid of the smell. After a year of fighting it they traded the van for another vehicle.

6. HK_User

You might want to check the labels on those products.
    Many contain a volatile propellant, many have been hurt at Tire Shops when a tire was changed and a spark caused an explosion.

Which is the reason SLIME sells the kits with a compressor.

BTW, SLIME also sells a Motorcycle/ATV size kit with a compressor.

7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

You also need to protect them from extreme cold, or you're gonna find they don't work when you need them.

8. duane

duane Monkey+++

My limited experience with tire slime in my garden equipment is that it seems to do in my tire gauges. Has anyone else had that problem? I would hate to ruin the good one on my air chuck so I don't use it on my garden stuff.

Homer Simpson and Ganado like this.
  9. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Wife says we used the can of fix a flat a long time ago. I guess we are going to check out some slime :)

kellory, HK_User and Tully Mars like this.
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Agree with everything you posted 100%
    I do store some of the "cheap car gas" as well. I double up on the marine stabil with this and have had no problems with year old ethanol gas put up this way. Looks,smells and runs like fresh stuff. I like to see just how long I can get out of the E gas before it gets bad. I figure the longer I can use that stuff, the longer I can make the non E gas last me.

Used aluminum fuel tanks from semi tractors work well for fuel storage as well. There is a place near by that sells the 150 gal tanks for about 75 bux. Some might need a bit of a repair, but that's not a big problem usually. Helped a neighbor set one up for gravity feed using the existing drain fitting and a hose from Tractor supply. Coat them with something like tar or mastic and they bury well:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
    Marck, kellory, HK_User and 1 other person like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Do not leave aluminum tanks in direct contact with (especially) cement products (like cinder blocks often used to keep tanks off the ground. Heavy neoprene pads will do for that application.) The cement is alkaline and will eat up the AL in time, and not a lot of time at that. Bitumastic is one way to coat it, I'm sure there are others. You might get away with direct burial in a completely neutral soil, but I would not count on it. Also, be very careful with dissimilar metal pipe fittings, they will set up an electrolytic cell and degrade rather quickly.

Tully has this one exactly right.

chelloveck, Airtime, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  12. HK_User

Unless you have a leak there should be very little in the valve.
    I always clean out the the airway before replacing the innards.. Then air up the tire.

Once I had a problem with a air gauge not reading. I found the valve was bad and the Slime had sealed it shut. In this case be sure and have a commercial removing tool that also has the thread reamer.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I just use the red plastic gas cans. I have a lot of them. I keep 4 cans of each year for now. The oldest gas I have right now is 3 years old. I have 20 gallons of it for next year. Im rotating 4 cans per year. Ill refill those cans next fall. I just stored 20 gallons of fresh. I have 80 gallons total of marine gas right now. Fresh, one year old, two year old and three year old. I am debating on trying to get 5 years worth. But in truth 20 gallons gets me almost three years worth of wood with my saws. 80 gallons will get me over 10 years worth of cutting. My wife wants me to get a tank. My problem with a big tank is it is all the same year. By rotating cans I get fresh gas every year added to the stock. It pushes the number years out by at least 4. I always use the oldest gas first.

ditch witch likes this.
  14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I reload, in addition I buy ammunition in bulk. 5.56-.223 as my ARs have a Wylde chamber, they shoot either accurately.

Be careful with canned food. We had some cans of beans that were ~5 years old; shoved to the back, not rotated and stayed there and no excuse for it. As we recycle; however, the cans must be empty. After we emptied them, some of the beans were decomposing (mushy) and others weren't. IMO, there is more than one way to can.

X2 and depending on where one lives cold frames can be used to grow certain vegetables. Everyone buys heirloom seeds; plant some of them and learn to prepare the seeds for next year.

In addition to trapping, buy an "adult precision air rifle." They are easily accurate enough to shoot birds for protein with a minimum of meat lost. I've dropped raccoons with one in .22 caliber; so do not under estimate one.

After the Korean War, a job wasn't easy to find. My parents grew a lot of our own food both meat and vegetables. Chickens laid eggs, after they stop laying enough eggs, we ate them. Quite chewy, they were only fit for soup or stew.

Protection is a huge subject as are the ways of overcoming it.

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Yes protection or a defensive plan is a must if you plan on bugging in. My plan has many layers that include offense, tactical retreats, force multipliers, sniping, cross fires, killing fields and more. If you are bugged in the first line of defense is to keep ANYONE from seeing your home. Engage intruders out away from your home. Our plan starts half a mile away at a choke point . That choke point is a culvert with swamps on both sides of the only road in. The mud and silt in those swamps is neck deep or deeper. Anyone coming at us must come through this narrow strip and we control the high ground with pit blinds 120 yards from the culvert. Two men can hold off dozens from that position with simple bolt action 30-06 rifles. We can employ a .50 cal bolt action as well to stop a truck or car. W e have three fall back positions from there all high ground before anyone even sees the house. By then I would hope to have deterred any force of invaders. I have no defense against say a tank or an air strike. I dont expect to see either.

chelloveck likes this.
  16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Our plan is simple, being remote where there is little of interest and not much value added for a very long walk. We chose it to enjoy the beauty of nature and the peace it brings; not for any tactical reasons.

The problem of bugging in, is one cannot stay in and we accept that. Our confidence is high simply because we aren't worth the effort.

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Exactly My rational for living way out here.... I am NOT worth the effort to come mess with.... But if you do, you will just become Crab Bait....

Tully Mars likes this.
  18. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Crabs need to eat also.
    Are you close enough to the ocean to enjoy the fishing?

Personally, although where you are is one of the most beautiful places in the world; I'll keep my foraging to much milder climates.

PS: Are the mosquitoes still as bad as I remember?

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Salt water is right out front of the cabin... It is a Fjord that connects to the ocean abut 45 miles west... The skeeters are not bad in the winter, only in the summer...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  20. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yep, a bit smaller than last year, I hope...[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, VisuTrac and Ganado like this.
  1. VisuTrac
  2. Dunerunner
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. enloopious
  5. Dunerunner
  6. oldman11
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. ED GEiN
  11. UncleMorgan
  12. UncleMorgan