Short Update: Quitting Smoking

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Dec 23, 2013.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Today is day 23 of being a non-smoker. [touchdown]

Kajun

(See, told you it's be short! LOL)

Aeason, Ganado, AD1 and 12 others like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Good for you, now keep it up. I used to be a smoker myself. been a lot of years clean though. still like the smell when the match touches, but the thought of breathing that stuff in again is repulsive. good luck. For me, the first couple of weeks were bad, but after that it got easier.

Aeason likes this.
  3. Rabid

Rabid Monkey

Congrats, I quit several times before I was finally able to give them up. I finally told myself that all of that suffering would be for nothing if I started again. After a month or so I rally wanted a smoke and I reminded myself how hard it was to get to that point and I was able to move on. I know that If I were to have a cigarette today I would end up being a smoker again. I quit in January of 1984 and I still have to remind myself every now and then. Keep up the good work.

Aeason likes this.
  4. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

@TXKajun - looks like I got a head start on you... Been almost 7 weeks here. [winkthumb]

I'd planned to start a thread on quitting so that others could share tips and tricks for success, but wanted to make sure I'd gone long enough that there would be no question of whether I'd fall back into the habit. Figured if I was gonna say "hey, this works", then I'd better be darn sure that it does work.

If I may ask - what has been the secret to your success so far?

EDIT - I just realized that I need a new avatar...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Congratulations Kajun, more power to you.

Aeason and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  6. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Much respect to all who have quit.

Aeason and JABECmfg like this.
  7. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

14 years for me you can do it!!!!

Aeason likes this.
  8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Thanks tons, ya'll. :) Sweetie's got 38 days now. Soooooo proud of her!

Kajun

Aeason and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Way to go, Kajun! I just passed 9 years, around Thanksgiving, and am thankful at how easy it was!

Now it's all mental, my friend. Every so often, that little devil's gonna climb up on your shoulder, and start whispering in your ear, telling you how good a cig would taste. What worked, for me, was to mentally imagine myself flicking that little sucker off my shoulder, and into the nearest ashtray! LOL

Keep it up. It get easier, the longer you go. :)

Aeason likes this.
  10. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Thanks for the encouragement, nat. For some reason, today....day 31 of not smoking....has been really REALLY tough! I've been jonesing really bad. Crabby, body kinda cramping/aching, full blown withdrawal symptoms. AHHGGGG!!!

I'm not gonna go back or give in, but for some weird reason, today's been really rough.

Kaun

Aeason likes this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I remember quitting a long time ago, gave in and decided to smoke a cigarette, it tasted like crap. Made quitting even easier.

I'm not saying you should smoke, just keep your mind off of it because you will just be disappointed if you do decide to start up again. :)

Aeason and JABECmfg like this.
  12. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Congratulations.

Mark Twain said something like "It's easy to stop smoking - I've done it dozens of times".

When I quit, I went through cycle after cycle of craving, withdrawal, and readdiction, and to this day, I feel the inclination to bum cigarettes from my friends and family when they light one up. It's important to realize that you're likely to "fall off the wagon" several times before the cravings subside. Just remember that it gets easier to put it down every time you try, and there will come a day when you don't want to pick them up again.

Good luck.

William Warren

Aeason likes this.
  13. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Kajun, when you feel like you really want a cig, go smell an old nasty ashtray. That will usually be enough of a reminder of why you quit!

Aeason likes this.
  14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Wow, how time flies! I was really looking forward to Dec. 1, but here it is Dec 22 already. My 2 year anniversary as an ex-smoker was Dec. 1. WOOHOO!! Sweetie still has me beat by 2 weeks. Way to go, Sweetie!

Kajun

15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Congrats!! Today tobackee, tomorrow chocolate... Naw!!!

Aeason likes this.
  16. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, chocolate!!!! :p

Kajun

Aeason likes this.
  17. Bigfoot1986

Bigfoot1986 Monkey

Congrats and stay away from the cigs. I am fortunate that some of my buddies told me to never start that is was a mistake to ever start

Aeason likes this.
  18. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

After more than 40 years without a smoke, you know what I miss the most... the sulphur smell from lighting the cig from a book of matches, I know you all are saying, what's a book of matches?

Rancher

Sapper John and Aeason like this.
  19. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

azrancher, I kind of know what you mean. Yep, I'm way old enough to remember book matches. For me, part of the whole smoking thing was the ritual. Tapping a ciggie out of the pack, getting out the zippo, tapping the ciggie firmly on the side of the lighter to seat the tobacco so it didn't fall apart, the smell of the lighter and the tobacco, flicking the wheel and that first drag. I can remember it like it was just 2 years ago. :p

Kajun

Aeason likes this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

BS.... @azrancher I know better... You just like the SMELL of lighting the FUSE, on your latest Boom Toy... Once one gets that SMELL in their blood, they NEVER get it out... I have that same addiction, since I was 7Years Old.....

Aeason likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7