SHTF Cooking

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ganado, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

You underestimate the power of hunger. Fear only trumps the hunger pains for so long before people resort to desperate acts...especially when those hunger pains are evident in their loved ones. Point is, just because you turn them back the first time, doesn't mean they won't keep coming, and coming and coming until they either succeed or die trying. Question is, are you smart, vigilant, supplied and lucky enough to outlast them?

Bottom line, if you live in a populated area you will either have to be able to feed everyone for the duration, or kill them all. Any gray area in between will be temporary at best.

Ganado, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  2. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

BTPost, Ganado and Meat like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are correct, they are going to smell food cooking. If you are cooking outdoors, which many of us are planning on then you need to be deceptive. Have a block party but at the same time be cooking a bulk of your secret stash. Merge the smells. Smells do carry and @DarkLight is correct, smells will be more noticeable. Off topic but I kept catching the smell of natural gas. I checked neighboring houses but I kept tracking the smell to a certain area. It was a light scent but I could smell it. Our senses are sharper then we realize. There was a leak in the buried line but that shows me, people can trace a smell.

@UncleMorgan excellent post.

Ganado and Meat like this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Nah, live here instead:
    castles.

Or here:
    Slopes-small-house-plants-sky-1050x1400.

5. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

No point in wasting food that's just going to go bad, might as well use the excess to fatten up the neibours for um... ah... never-mind....:cautious::cautious::cautious:

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Inviting your neighbours to dinner......as the main ingredient, may work.....it might discourage some curiosity as to what meaty smells they may be sniffing from over your boundary fence. :sneaky:

7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

"Dead men tell no tales"???

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

So far as a means of cooking I've set aside pressure cookers that cook food most efficiently before the microwave came along.
    I've set one aside, plumed for distilling water primarily, but the others are for cooking .
    As for meat in the freezer , one should have the means to can food, and then put it away with the rest of the stores.
    Meats, fruits and vegetable can be dried and stored as well .
    One of my home made solar water heating devices is a large panel (glass cabinet) I can dry food in if necessary.
    I have a second solar water heater ,a 10 gallon tank in a glassed box which works as well. Any glassed encasement will work .
    As for neighbors begging , put them to work , your stores were not free to you , neither should it be free to any one else.
    Having to pull together means every one works thus the term "pulling together".
    Those that are Pulling together, will be less anxious to freely hand out to those unwilling to work.
    Those that contribute nothing ,feel they are entitled to your stores will have to fight for it.
    People have a tendency to hand out of some one else's reserve, if they had nothing invested.
    It is the carelessness of the light switch and children , they have no appreciation for what it cost, nor who pays for it, and abuse it freely, and invite their friends to participate as well .

Ganado and Mountainman like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. I think I can name a few of those folks. But bring the chow, I'll do the cooking.

1. oil pan 4
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. JC Refuge
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Dunerunner
  10. jefferson
  11. jefferson
  12. Motomom34
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Coyote Ridge
  15. ditch witch
  16. Dunerunner
  17. Ganado
  18. martha_mill
  19. JC Refuge
  20. DKR