SHTF will not be Convenient

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GOG, Jan 13, 2018.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

**** LANGUAGE ALERT***

Copied from elsewhere:

My GF posted this on FB and I thought it was worth posting.

"Good Day Everyone,

Just another thought of the day for all non-existent people in this group (not the 5-6 people who post something). As far as I am concerned, they are probably just animated bots [​IMG]:)

SHTF is an entity that takes great takes delight in dropping by unannounced and seeing you at your worst: still in your underwear, out of coffee, and taken utterly by surprise.

SHTF never occurs at ANY convenient time, nor does SHTF care about ANY of your shit-for-brain prepping excuses.In fact, SHTF thrives and grows exponentially under more
    adverse circumstances and the greater the "unpreparedness" you have, the greater the impact on your life.

So Suck It Up Fuzzball, put on your boots, and power through it.

- SHTF doesn’t care about inclement weather – snow, hail, tornadoes, pouring rain, and hurricanes all just add to the party atmosphere for SHTF.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you sprained your ankle, broke your leg, or are otherwise less than ambulatory. If you have to bug out without a vehicle, you have to bug out, regardless of your injury status.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you decided to start prepping after you take that trip to Disney-world (because how can you do it before? That trip is expensive!!!!)

- SHTF doesn’t care that you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean, regardless of what you paid for the luxury cruise.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get your vehicle repaired. You have to evacuate regardless of the leak from the oil pan, the condition of the brakes,
    and the funny noise in the transmission.

- SHTF doesn’t care that the entire family is ill with the stomach flu. The entire family will just have to pause to throw up while bugging out.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you need new hiking boots, or some winter boots and that you just haven’t had time to get to the store and buy them. You’ll be walking through the apocalypse, in 2 feet of snow, in the ratty shoes you have with the sole half torn off.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you planned to buy some emergency food with your next paycheck. You’ll be dining on a can of peaches and some stale crackers.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you always use electronic banking. If the ATMS are down and you have no cash, you cannot buy anything.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get the propane tank refilled and now the propane trucks aren’t running because of the ice storm that has turned your neighborhood into a mini Arctic Circle.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you used all your ammo at the range and Walt-Mart has been out for the past month.

- SHTF doesn’t care that both the store and Starbucks are closed because of a power outage and you are totally out of coffee because you didn’t build, even a small stockpile.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you are wearing high heels when your car skids in slippery/icy road conditions and you end up in a ravine, you can't find your cell phone, or there is no service, or the battery is dead etc – you still have to climb out of the car and the ravine in those high heels.

- SHTF doesn’t care that the pharmacies are closed because of a pandemic and that you have no OTC medications or home remedies – if you catch the virus,
    you will suffer through it without medicine to treat it. And so will your kids.

- SHTF doesn’t care that your truck is almost out of fuel and the local gas stations have closed because of the disaster. If you have to bug out, you may end up walking instead of driving.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you are depressed because you just broke up with your spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend etc.

- SHTF doesn’t care if you’re in a funk because you lost your job or your dog died. Shit happens when Shit happens.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you have made a rock-solid plan to get in shape – as soon as the weather warms up. You’ll be sucking wind as you hurry up that hill in the cold.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you are visiting your in-laws, the most unprepared people on the planet, and you failed to put some emergency food, water, and supplies in the trunk of your car.

- SHTF doesn’t care that your wood is not dry. It’ll bring you a blizzard if it wants to bring you a blizzard and laugh its ass off as you try to stay warm.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you have 300 pounds of beans, wheat berries, and rice but failed to plan on a way to cook them.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you don’t know how to cook over an open fire without inflicting 2nd-degree burns on yourself.

- SHTF doesn’t care if you have only a week’s supply of toilet paper – if the crisis lasts longer than a week, things will be progressively less pleasant regardless of your intention to purchase more Charmin.

- SHTF doesn’t care you planned to reinforce your door frame, install a metal security door, and build a safe room – if thugs arrive to invade your home, your hollow core doors will serve as a minor inconvenience instead of a deterrent.

- SHTF doesn’t care if you think guns are bad and scary. Rest assured, if you don’t have one, the people coming to take your supplies will.

- SHTF doesn’t care if you think “doomsday preppers” are bat crap crazy, if you don’t believe the fecal matter is headed towards the oscillating device, or whether you think it’s all an alternative media conspiracy theory. Whatever your excuse may be, you may rest assured, SHTF won’t care about that either.

You already know the things that you should be doing to prepare for a disaster. When SHTF arrives in what ever shape and form it chooses, your procrastination will cause you and your family to suffer because of it. Most of the time, it’s an inconvenience, but in some cases, a lack of preparedness can mean the difference between life and death.

The World is not getting any better and becomes more dangerous to you and I by the minute.

The neon signs couldn’t be blinking any brighter.

No more excuses. SHTF won’t wait to visit you when it’s convenient for you.

On a personal note: I’m am going to take care of the shit that I need to do, and act on it accordingly.

Tomorrow of course [​IMG]

3M-TA3, Tempstar, Mountainman and 9 others like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

She is absolutely right. I recently got slapped down for my procrastination when we had a small power outage. It was damn embarrassing as I have been meaning to fix that hole in my preps for ages but here I was with plenty of Beans, Bullets and Band-Aids and no way to get water from the 1500 gallon cistern to cook, clean or drink. I could of course go open the cistern and using a bucket obtain water (we got 3 feet of snow outside) or melt snow (my cook stove is propane) but the point is that a little effort earlier would save me a ton of cold, wet work. Anyway, I learned my lesson and thankfully I wasn't seriously punished (this time!) and your girlfriend is absolutely correct.

3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I like it. I told the in-laws 25 years ago and when the time comes you'll have to go with what you got and you better have something to go with.

4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I posted it as much for me as everyone else. :rolleyes:

5. duane

duane Monkey+++

SHTF doesn't have to be a major disaster for everyone, it could be losing your job, being diagnosed with a major illness, family member having a stroke or heart attack, some one in family being diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's, or cancer. etc. Preparing for both major and individual requires doing your best to be ready for anything and having the mind set to make it thru the problems. It may well come like a thief in the night, a neighbor went to the clinic to prepare for minor knee surgery at the age of 66. Had moved up here last year with a good pension, 40 + years with the electric company, medicare, social security, no debts as selling his old house in Mass had given him enough to pay cash for a new home and pay off all his bills, set up for the long run and looking forward to a good garden and a long retirement. They found in the pre op screening that he had lung cancer that was spread thru out his body and 3 months later he was dead. It may not be a major event in the eyes of the world, but it sure was to him, his wife, his family member's and friends.

GOG, Dunerunner, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One of the things SM has talked about over time is the setting of priorities and the very real need for thought. There is ZERO chance that anyone can be prepared for ANY and EVERY event that can happen. Pick your most likely disruptive occurrence, prep for that, pick the second and so on, until the probables are covered, then go for the possibles.

Mountainman, GOG, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

When the SHTF it's always personal, otherwise it hasn't hit yet and all those wretched people on CNN are just a lead-in for the next anti-Trump story. It doesn't have to be huge, and it doesn't have to last long--all it has to do it completely upset the normal course of your life, and make you scramble to recover any portion of it.

Especially the part where you stay alive.

If you have preps and a plan, you can cruise through a generalized SHTF situation in style, which is just another way of saying you can keep it from getting personal--unlike almost everyone else.

Mountainman, GOG, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Love it and it is a good reminder to all. Even the most prepared need reminding

9. duane

duane Monkey+++

Amen Uncle Morgan. It will never be a SHTF moment until it hits you. We tend to forget the personal and concentrate on the global, when only the close up really counts for us.

GOG, sec_monkey and Dunerunner like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Been through plenty of area disasters as well as personal ones to know being prepared is a life style taken seriously .
    I can attest for a fact a disaster is not limited to merely one single item on the hit parade .
    If an over pass drops during an earth quake , traffic is halted all four directions , and it is likely that other services are disrupted as well .
    If you have reliable communications with your family, and they are safe where they are, there is no rush to get home relax. Get out of the way and let every one else panic and run.
    I have heard of some that keep bolt cutters in the car, for cutting through the chain link fence to escape the locked up freeways. you do what you must.
    I watched a documentary I can no longer find, done by the BBC on disasters and how people respond to them.
    Generally speaking most don't respond at the first sign of trouble, but wait for some one else to make a move .
    If this is you waiting for some one else , you will likely be a victim in an event .
    Depending on one's character first taking action, either running for one's own life, or attempting to get others to move. The moments spent in debate to take action and what action to take are time sensitive .
    I realize that there was a false alarm recently that disturbed quit e a few people , never the less I believe it was good wake up call . fire drills are important . I wonder how many are still liberals after that ?

GOG likes this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Small tests and lessons learned are worth their weight in gold.

GOG and Bandit99 like this.
  12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

The problem with prepping is that it never ends. There's no Aha! moment when things are completed, just more of doing or acquiring what's next. Sometimes it's a huge PITA but if things do eventually go bad, we could be golden.

Bandit99 likes this.
  13. AFVet1982

AFVet1982 Monkey++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7