Site security, and fencing.....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by dragonfly, Aug 2, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Just a quick note here folks....!
    It now appears that even in these "nice, quiet, and slow times" we are having/enjoying right now.... ( in lieu of TSHTF scenario), there's always a problem...
    And yes, it is yet another of the continuing saga of the morons in society. ( there's just NO law against stupid!)
    It appears that a nicely placed and installed barbed wire fence is NO deterrent to idiots, morons, etc.
    Having rented a bobcat ( at a helluva cost), with an auger attachment to penetrate the caliche' beds on the property up north, it was intended to set in some rather substantial posts ( 10 inches+ in diameter pine logs!) up to some 4+ feet depth. Then the holes having been made with a 12 inch auger, were filled in with quickcrete. All well and good...so far.
    Then 4 strands of double barbed wire were tensioned and stretched to a piano tuners delight! (Pulled with a 4wd truck to tension them!)
    "T" posts were added every so many feet, over a 300 ft wide area, with a double wide-16 ft gate in the center.
    Again, so far so good.
    The entire thing took 3 men, 4 days to complete.
    Then the trouble started!
    A "neighbor" seeing the gates were "unlocked" opened them, drove in and left the gates wide open, so he could "use" ( borrow), the land owners cell phone.
    (in the process, Letting the land owners dogs out....!)
    He was warned NOT to do it again.
    I told the land owner his first mistake was in NOT locking those gates...
    So, without further ado, the land owner wrapped a heavy 3/8 inch braided aircraft cable around the gates and padlocked them....
    Ok, My bad!
    The moron ("neighbor"), returned, and since he could NOT open the gates, he used his 425+ lbs to step on the lower strand of barbed wire and pushed the others up, so he could get through!
    In the process he tore his pants half off of his fattitudeness! ( gee I wonder why that happened?) It's called wire tension! ( aka: TWANG!)
    He was upset that he ripped his clothes half off, and just came by to "borrow" the cell phone again.
    He even had the unmitigated GALL to ask the land owner to unlock the gates for him, and to GIVE him a key, so he could get in, when he wanted something!
    This ignoramus lives about 3/4 of a mile away, and has no job, no income, lives on food stamps, and welfare, with his girlfriend ( strange, he's NOT even married, and claims 6 children they don't have!).
    So, the MORAL of the story is simple....
    Fences do NOT make for good neighbors!
    I suggested a double apron fence, or weave in a alternating diamond pattern with more barbed wire. Alternative: electrical fence chargers!
    Suddenly, it became quite apparent to the land owner, who the "culprit" was that had entered his next door neighbor's land, by stepping on and stretching their fences to the point they are wide open now, and their travel trailer and double wide mobile home were "invaded", (burglarized), and stripped bare of everything.
    One of the locals had warned the land owner about this individual, and several people have had to fire warning shots, to keep him away from their fences and gates already!
    And it's NOT even gotten bad yet...
    I wish I could say I am appalled, but having seen the malady of the human race, I'm just barely amused anymore!

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Not a good area.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Maybe they should rename that section of Coconino County as "tweakerville"!???

4. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Our neighbor told us the following last evening: Last week a couple of guys in a pick-up truck stopped at a site down the street where a house is under construction and proceeded to load up the truck with lumber and other materials. The new owner of the house(who owns the campground next door) caught them and made them unload the truck. The same day these two were caught in another area stealing metal and assorted other items. The police responded.
    It is a cause for concern. We live on 13 acres, 450 feet back from the road and with woods in back of the house. A few days ago some hikers became lost and when one of my dogs raised a ruckus we were alerted, but it was disconcerting because there are No Trespassing signs posted everywhere. Luckily they were friends of another neighbor whose land abuts ours, but when I told them that we frequently target practice in that area and pointed out the range they assured us they wouldn't go near there again.
    Although we have an alarm system, two dogs and weapons in the house we have to start thinking of ways to deter unwanted guests should any number of scenarios occur. There have also been a number of house breaks in neighboring areas which is common given the economic landscape. We're increasingly vigilant, but I'm amazed at the audacity of some people.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Dogs are about the BEST deterrent and early warning system I know of!
    Unless they become "friendly" or used to other people. I had to re-train mine so he would only take food from me or my son, or my roommate. He barks at anyone he doesn't know, even the sounds of footsteps he is unsure of.
    He has 2 types of barks, one is: "Hey, pet me dammit", or "where's my food"?! Hi second is: "I'm gonna eat you"!
    Until living here where I am now, I always ( read: ALWAYS!!!) had 2 dogs! One inside dog and one outside dog. I was always met at the gate and at the front door! Once I had a moronic "step-father" that decided to "fool" one of my dogs....He snuck up to the back gate in his bare feet, and opened it.
    I had to take him to get a number of stitches!
    He never screwed around with the dogs again after that epsiode!
    Today, I have to keep the poor dog on a chain, in a fenced backyard.
    He can still hear, and smell people, but he can't see thru the wood fencing.
    Not that he'd eat the neighbors, but he dosen't like them!
    The kids, yes...he loves the attention and the kids like to play with him...
    so I moved him, out of their sight and them out of his, so I can have a guard dog.
    BTW: he's an australian "heeler"? Herder is more like it, as he loves to annoy the cats by trying to round them up! The cats ignore him now!
    In fact, I think they tease him as he cant reach them being on the chain!

6. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Dragonfly, we have a black German Shephard and a mix breed Aussie Cattle Dog and Jack Russel(she's the one who actually guards the property.) The interesting thing is that while my husband went out to investigage she barked while standing alongside him. When she saw me go down the steps from our back decked she growled at these strangers until I told her to stop. She's never bitten anyone and always takes her cue from us. The male shephard is more of an inside dog, but wanders around at night in the house. He'd be the one to alert us. Dogs rule.

7. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I'm looking into getting a case of hand-granades...they are very cheap here...I was looking for the small jumping anti-personnel mines, but found only few of them. If SHTF I'll make a minefield. I haven't decided yet if I would post warning signs. I'll probably get a pair of Sharplaninec dogs...If SHTF, breeding dogs could be good...
    What is usually done here is that barbed fence is put up, an then 5 centimeters next to it, on the inside side is planted what we call "live fence". It's a bush that grows very thick and very rapid. It needs constant trimming, or it will grow over 3 meters. It's almost like a weed...very resiliant to all weather conditions. Some kinds even have large and very nasty thorns. I NEVER heard a case where burglar got into the yard through the fence...Always through the gates...

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Surprises like that placed in our property would get us a decade or two in Club Fed - PRISON! The "Men In Black" take avery dim view of such tactics.....

Now, shooting the intruders in the house is a very different matter! [beer]

9. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I know...here too..I was talking about SHTF period, not now. We are not even allowed to shoot anyone even in self-defence. If a burglar enters your home, and is unarmed, if you kill him, you go to jail for murder. If he has a knife, and you shoot him, you go to jail for murder and plus having illegal weapon. If you kill anyone, self defence or whatever, you go to jail, no matter the circumstances. We are not allowed to legally own any firearms, except 2 shots shotguns, and that only if you are a member of hunting society. I can't even buy arrow broadheads legally, because they are forbidden for import. LOL...they've got us weak and defenceless...
    Although, they have this small problem...We had a war here and lots of weapons were brought in...so, if you can't get it legaly... :D

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

"Slingshots"... ( wrist rocket type) and marbles!
    Man, them is wicked! Ball bearings aren't bad, but awfully expensive!
    I went to a number of toy and department stores a few weeks ago, trying to buy marbles for my tumblers... I could NOT find 1 bag of clearies, cat's eyes, boulders, shooters, nada! I smell a conspiracy to de-marble us!
    Now about plants...I found one considered by most to be a noxious weed type, "Russian Olive" can still be bought online. That is one nasty bush...grows fast, long and wide, has to be pruned all the time or it overruns about everything...Now the good news: it has 4 inch razor sharp thorns that NOTHING will penetrate except a bullet! ( nothing alive, that wishes to remain that way!) I like it already! Bigger, and faster growing than any species of cacti, and never slows down! It does not get any bettr than that..
    UNLESS, you grow a few stinging nettle, poison Ivy, and poison Oak types!
    Now those are deterrents! My mouth is watering already.....LOL!

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Marbles are not common toys anymore. Consider looking at craft stores. Save your gas call first. It is where I have seen them.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Tac..
    I found glass pieces in half rounds and squares for putting in with artificial flowers and displays. Michael's craft and art center, and even Target, K-mart, Wallyworld had none. I went to the dollar General ( they used to have them!) nada, so i went to the 99cent store, none there either. So, undaunted I went to the largest hobby and craft store here...Nothing!
    "Marble-less in Phoenix"....

13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

bing marbles, .... just did, all types and sources

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Cool! I'm there.... Thanks Tac!

15. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Personally I'm thinking a 12 gauge enema would be exactly what he needs. If ya don't put a stop to it now It will continue then you'll have to kill this dirtbag. It's not his property it belongs to someone else put a chunk of lead in hiss ass and maybe you won't have to put one in his head later.

16. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Wow, you live in a nice area. You ought to come up to Apache county if you really want to see bad , stupid idiots at large !

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7