Skills Thread (What CAN you do)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Jan 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I started thinking after re-reading Quigs bumped thread from 5 years ago on Occupations and what people do for a living.

How about What can you do in a post SHTF world? Skill sets?

Shelter
    • Log home builder
    • Carpenter
    Infrastructure
    • I can get broken things working again
    • Amateur Gunsmith
    • Mechanic
    Community
    • Cook
    • Brewer
    • Logistics / group organization

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Far too many to list actually...
    I had a terrible habit of learning all I could in a profession, then moving on.
    "Jack of all trades, master of none", comes to mind now!
    The longest employments I have had was in the U.S. Army, (2 years, 8 mos, 28 days) then in Aerospace machining (7 years)....
    The rest don't really count....not in a TSHTF scenario anyway.

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

I've made sure that I have literally tons of tools... power and hand... and lots of manuals and reference books.... and raw materials as well...
    Depends on what's needed.... best tool is between my ears ...
    Interesting thread.... tell me more....

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Teach
    Cook
    Hunt
    Fish
    Negotiate
    First aid
    Sew
    No Fear
    Creative solutionist

... hmmm... In thinking about it... There are a lot of useful skills that I possess, which would make a ridiculously long list. I guess growing up country lends itself to my not thinking of it as a survival skill, but just livin' life (like my sig line says :)).

When asked what can I do, most generally, my response is "What needs to be done?" :)

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I play music pretty well, cook, can hold my breath for four minutes, have working knowledge of all the construction trades, garden, train animals, weld, cast, forge, use primitive tools, can food, hunt, fish, make devices that utilize rapidly expanding gasses for a number of useful applications from just about anything, make bows, arrows, knap flint, navigate on land and sea, relatively proficient in directing an amazing variety of projectiles into small areas at varying distances, and can scrounge and improvise with the best of them; Rube Goldberg, get out of my way.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I can basically;

Against Foe:
    -Infiltrate
    -Recon
    -Sabotage
    -Evade/Escape
    -Eliminate

With Friendlies:
    -Provide logistical support
    -Issue tactical procedures
    -Cook, clean, sew, mend wounds, provide combat lifesaving support
    -Force multiplication (increase numbers)
    -Help build structures underground or above, wire, plumb, and finish
    -Teach BRM (basic rifle marksmanship), land mine awareness and gen. ed., claymore ed., current military (20 level) weapon maintenance and ID, physical fitness training, train chemical/biological/nuclear emergency procedures, risk management assoc. w/ dehydration, streamline combat effectiveness both personal, squad level, platoon level, and company level, Provide general ed. for any combat armored vehicle, and most light armor and utility vehicles, and basic knowledge of popular aircraft.
    -I speak two languages (English, German) although the German is restricted to SW dialect and is slightly limited.
    -I can train martial arts to include -Combat Sambo (Systema) to 3rd deg, BB, Current Military Combatives, Jui Jitsu, Grappling, Ninjitsu.
    -Advanced training for CQB (close quarters combat) with both the AR-M4-M16 variant weapon systems, AK-47/74 variants, blade/knife combat, and unarmed combat.
    -General computer systems, and possibly digital forensics.
    -I can repair a lot of things, think on the move, and multitask

Additionally, I am a minimalist by nature. I am low maintenance, require only a weekly shower and one solid meal per day (2000 calories even active), provided diet is high protein and moderate carbohydrate. I am physically fit, and can run full speed for three minutes at 1000 ft. before I get winded. Yes, I am also house trained and will not pee where I sleep. This is important. I am quiet, reserved, and most times speak only when spoken to.

Inquire within. With caution.

7. magicfingers

magicfingers Monkey+++

Well I not as talented as most that have replied so far...But I can do a few things: I can weld a little bit and I earn my keep by working on stuff, like diesel engines and stuff mechanical...I know how to garden a little bit as well as do a cobble up job on carpentry..I'm pretty good at figureing out solutions to things...I can reload 45 and 38 if that counts. I'm very frugal(meaning tight as the bark on a tree)..I'm debt free and have a little bit rat-holed...The thing I'm best at ain't gonna be worth a diddly squat come shtf and that would be working on stringed instruments and playing them 'specially the fiddle(yeah, I've been accused of fiddling around to much)...I'm gonna go live with Broker when the balloon goes up... :)

8. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I am the worlds best backwards driver.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Bump

10. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

I can help eat your food stores, drink your water and booze. Watch you plant and preserve, store your food. i am good at stupidvising you and yours. If needed I can complain and try to divide 'our' group into warring factions. Why should I work and help out when you are doing it for me and put all that time into 'prepping' and learning skills? I know alot of ya'll never thought what to do about me and mine showing up on your door step, ok kick me out, maybe I'll find a wolf pack to come and visit.
    If .gov won't take care of me don't YOU have a responsiability to do so, after all I am your neighbor, "love thy neighbor as thy self", yeppers I can twist the Bible to fit my needs.
    As it is said "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day".
    Just a little tongue in cheek......................maybe?

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

let us see,
    useless when TSHTF skills
    computer application development.
    wire electricity without getting zapped.

useful skills
    use my brain
    solve complex mathematical problems with out a calculator
    decent understanding of physics (Optics,E&M,Energy)
    solid understanding of engineering mechanics of materials
    can build structures that don't fall down using lumber and natural materials
    plumbing
    welding
    metal working
    hunt
    fish
    camp
    raise farm animals (goats, pigs and fowl)
    use a canoe
    and after this weekend probably build an AR from parts.
    cook
    clean (dust is clean right?)
    wash clothes and dishes if i have to.

if there is fuel i can:
    pilot a motorcycle
    drive a vehicle at it's limits and/or maybe beyond.
    drive a vehicle with stick shift
    and shade tree mechanic that longs for the days of points and condensers.
    could probably drive a semi as long as i didn't have to back it up.

and basically figure out how to get something done one way or another.

melbo likes this.
  12. cool hand luke

cool hand luke Monkey+

dredging this up from the depths, but I thought it very interesting. My skills

I'm a civil engineer with a variety of experience. Most of my career I worked for some suburbs as a city engineer. However probably what will be the most helpful in a SHTF scenario is the year I worked as the base engineer for one of the large bases in Afghanistan. Almost everything we did was constructed by locals. These guys are living in the stone age and have that mentality. It was VERY eye opening to see how they approached our modern construction.

That being said, my skill set
    Design and construction of a very large range of buildings and structures, including using concrete and simpler methods for ballistic protection.

Design and construction of water and sewer treatment and piping systems ranging form from citywide to simple single unit well and septics.

decent metal fabrication skills.

pretty decent mechanic/vehicle modifier.

competitive driving skills, both on road and off.

13. dfq3

dfq3 Monkey+++

Hey Guys, Well, I'm the new kid on the block(dfq3),and I hope I am doing this right. Having trouble figuring out how and where to do my 5 required posts so that I can become a full member here. My skills are blacksmithing, general light construction, track loader operation, and hunting. dfq3

14. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

1. Farming skills (growing, composting, seeding, rotating,etc..,)
    2. If it moos, baas, oinks, or clucks I can raise it and put it in your freezer.
    3. Beekeeping
    4. Guard dog training.

I have others but don't want to give away too many of my secrets!

15. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I can solve problems. If I don't already know how to do something, I learn and solve the problem.
    I'm satisfied I could do brain surgery as long as I had a little practice. Anyone wish to be a volunteer ? ahahahaaaaaaaa

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Right. [stirpot]

In the early days of the site, I could have listed a lot of things I could do back then that are no longer doable (at least in a reasonable time) by this scrawny old worn out carcass. I can still swap cleaning, minor clothing and canvas repairs, general household maintenance issues, light electrical, mechanical and carpentry work with a smidge of medical assistance, all for cut, split and stacked firewood. I can put a pretty good edge on your sharp stuff, too.

For the sake of this thread, I'll ignore the rather broad engineering and construction background; I don't think a survival situation warrants planning and building too many large scale infrastructure plants.

Rear guard? Yeah, that I can do; also marksmanship.

Tutoring math and sciences might be done, too. Hadn't thought about that in a LONG time, but for a while I did some rather technical training in industrial settings. You feeda my face, I teacha you kids. :D

melbo likes this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The things I can do are outlined in my "About Me" blog, here on the Monkey. One of those things, is to be able to pass on the Institutional Knowledge, that I have to the next generation. This, I feel, is one of the most important attributes of a Forum like this.

18. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I think that has immeasurable value

1. AgentPickle
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hitchcock4
  9. john316