sling shot ammo

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by KAS, May 27, 2013.

1. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

IMHO Lead balls for muzzleloaders make the best hunting ammo and is what I use when it is available. Pebbles work fine on shorter distances, again IMHO. I have some steel balls I use for practice with a backstop though, they last forever as long as they stay in the backstop.

2. Wheelsucker

Wheelsucker Out of Airspeed, Altitude & Ideas

Glock owner: "Mine shoots whatever I pickup off the ground."

1911 user: "You only have to shoot once with HN1/2, usually it frightens them to death"
    HK owner: "I only use metric fine thread nuts fasteners in my $ling$hot"

40S&W owner: "Do these HN3/8 nuts come in pink?"
    333/50BMG owner: "Anyone know how to build a trebuchet? Help me carry these bowling balls to the truck."

-Flame On

Tracy likes this.
  3. John Jacobson

John Jacobson Monkey

Here is a thought for you. In SHTF, dead cars are going to be a dime a dozen. That also means wheel weights will be everywhere. Buy a mold for 30 or 40 caliber round ball, and cast your own. Shoot, even several types of sinker molds should work.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

One Firestone, or goodwrench shop, will have more junk lead weights, than you could harvest of a major road.

5. John Jacobson

John Jacobson Monkey

True. No one else will want them either.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

With all due respect, that is incorrect. Anyone that casts bullets or shot will gobble it up.

VisuTrac and kellory like this.
  7. John Jacobson

John Jacobson Monkey

I wasn't thinking about that. True.

8. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i have plenty of tire weights probably close to 700 lbs {for free}
    i was just making a suggestion were to get the good projectiles for the "experienced " sling shotters on here ...
    but do you happen to know were i could get one of them molds from

9. kellory

I use hex nuts, (also for free) but I would think a reloader supplier for ball ammo would do nicely. I might go that route myself.

10. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

In the end, if it hits, and hits hard enough, it's the right stuff for you. It's not really a weapon where you talk about MOA's normally. More like "Rabbit-sized target, 30 yards".

11. kellory

in addition to hunting, I play paintball with mine.:D

wastelander likes this.
  12. John Jacobson

John Jacobson Monkey

ebay generally has a good selection. Search "round ball bullet mold". You can find lyman, lee, and rws molds fairly cheap.

13. John Jacobson

John Jacobson Monkey

That is unless your pea shooter has theraband black tubes trowing 1/2" lead balls. I will state though that you better have a sturdy slingshot with the theraband black. Fifty pound pull is hard on a plastic daisy frame. I've broke one already. I bet it would go clean through a deer.

14. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

There's going to be a bunch of dead BATTERIES in those cars too. I'm assuming you can't use the battery and we're talking EOTW/SHTF which is the only reason I'm bringing it up (don't want to offend the cuddly bunny crowd re:pollution via sulfuric acid). Something like 60% of the weight of a lead-acid battery is lead (watch out it's not a composite of lead and cadmium, but it should say). From a 30 lb battery you could, conceivably get 18 lbs of lead.

kellory likes this.
  15. kellory

Assuming TEOTW, one dentist's Xray booth will supply all the 1/8" sheet lead you could need for a year. YMMV

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7