Smart Meter Spying

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Yard Dart, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Is your home's energy meter spying on you? | Fox News
    The continual loss of your privacy marches on......

Mike likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

3. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

Im not sure about the spying thing but i know u felt better when they removed the sensus box that was causing fires in sask this past year,worried everytime it rained or snowed that the POS would short out
    D

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

“Privacy zealots obsess over something that wouldn’t concern a rational person,” Roger Pilon, director of the Cato Institute’s Center for Constitutional Studies, said to FoxNews.com. “It’s the kind of mass hysteria we’ve seen in other eras for other issues.”
    “The NSA has better things to do than monitor our A/C use.”

A perfect example of the Communist Manifesto rule regarding the ridiculing and marginalizing of the State's opponents. The Liberal Left uses this tactic very often.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

“The NSA has better things to do than monitor our A/C use.”

Yes, they do. But they will do it anyways, and spend your money doing it.

Seawolf1090, Sapper John and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Our tax dollars hard at work, allowing them to watch us in every way, every day.....
    The founding fathers were very good at understanding what tyranny looked like. But I bet they could have never contemplated such lax citizenry... that would allow this type of tyranny to take place!! Things need to change... and it will not be easy.

Seawolf1090 and Sapper John like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

When I can link in to my power account and see usage up to 2 mins difference later , the WiFi plus everyone's also around me since In in series with them ,means A LOT of WiFi & who's home etc.
    Read who is makeing these units , you won't see a FCC or any North American approval , China again & can they see your house ??

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Wrong..... If it has an RF Emitter as part of the meter, it MUST be Type Certified by the FCC, if it is to be imported into the USA, PERIOD, NO EXCEPTIONS....

9. Cruisin Sloth

Next one that falls overboard I'll get it to ya from WA .
    then tell me where I might find the marking , China is in two places on the one I tried to dry out ;) .
    Every house that hasn't restricted one has a smart meter installed & on new building power construction site temp poles in BC !

10. BTPost

May be true for Canada, but definitely not here in the States..... If it is an RF Emitter, It MUST have an FCC Type ID if it is imported into the USA, and if it has No ID, US Customs will seize it as contraband when found.

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I wonder how secure the smart meter reader is? These things work both ways...

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I wonder how well shielded they are against other sources of RF, i.e. can they withstand, say, 1500 watts for an extended period of time? ;)

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

I might have two wet units that I could see in WA .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Posting this hear because smart meters are an issue. People have complained of illness since these meters have been installed. Now there don't seem to be surge protection:
    Stockton Smart Meters Explode After Truck Causes Power Surge « CBS Sacramento

15. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

It's Ethernet over power lines.

16. BTPost

Well, Yes, IF, the device uses RF Frequencies, AND they are just using the PowerLines as a Transmission Line. In that Case it would be covered under CFR47Part15 of the Commissions Technical Rules.... As a NOTE here, Any use of PowerLines as the Transmission Lines, requires that EACH and EVERY Transformer, be modified so that the Induced RF can Bypass around the Transformer, which is a very expensive Retrofit of the Distribution System.

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  17. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

18. BTPost

If you look at the Specs your Meter is CFR47Part15 PartB Compliant. On Page2 of the Document...

19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Meters are not designed for surge protection. Meters plug into spring loaded contacts much the same as your receptacles in the home.

Exceed the carrying capacity of those strips of copper and it will either short across the "receptacle' contacts or it will go to ground inside the meter can.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7