Smoking

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bishop, May 5, 2016.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well that explains your signature block "Old, mean, and nasty"!! :p

Good job with quitting......!!!! [winkthumb]

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Same here. But I had smoked for only 12 years and was consuming 2 1/2 packs a day. At the time of quitting around 1984, there were no meds, gum, patches etc. Just have to make up your mind to do it and I failed a half dozen times or so before succeeding. A friend of mine at the time remarked,

"Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it lots of times".

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As with any addiction, one is never a "former" user. 'Bout the best you can hope for is "recovering." I ain't quit, just taking a break from a 45 or so year habit. Now, where did I put that coffee cup THIS time?

Altoidfishfins and Yard Dart like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I was smoking a pack and a half a day for quite a few years, was up to two packs a day for about 6 months. But I noticed it was interfering with swimming and Diving I quit cold turkey. I still like the smell when somebody lights up, but I have no desire whatsoever to have another one.
    [​IMG]

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I smoked regularly for about 50 years...actually, I still have the occasional pipe load or a hit off a friend's cigarette now and then. That said, even in those years I really had no problem with the times one could not smoke for one reason or the other. I have a good stock of vacuum sealed tobacco (both pipe and rolling type) that I figure as "phase 2" barter goods, like the good booze that I also have stored. People will distill drinkable liquor (and smoke whatever is available) pretty soon after a collapse, but the time will come when those who are left are the ones with the necessities...and good booze and good tobacco will be luxuries for which they will pay well.

I have a friend locally who has experimented with growing tobacco and has gotten smokable leaf...our climate in Oregon is not ideal for the crop, but it is possible, and he has seeds stashed hoping they will be viable. Of course, our climate is great for "other smokables", but that is a whole 'nother story.

[peep]
    Pax

Mountainman and Yard Dart like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I tried a few experimentals as teenager, but chose not to take up the habit. One of the best decisions I have made in my life. Big Tobacco doesn't pick up the tab for medical treatment for the health consequences of my smoking....nor do I wish to either.

Gray Wolf and Altoidfishfins like this.
  7. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I am trying to get the VA to get me some Wellbutrin to see if it helps me quit. Won't use patches or gums as that is still supplying the addictive nicotine. If I can quit, I will not stock tobacco as it may cause a relapse. If I can't, still won't stock it and will just give it up. Will be grouchy and irritable though it will be better for my BP if I quit.

8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Great thread, Bishop. It is really interesting to hear folks' stories about smoking, quitting, attempting to quit, etc.

Kajun

Altoidfishfins, Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

NO DRUG , OR PATCH , PIMP , WAZZOO will help you quit , only your mind for 6 months of being the nastiest SOB/ Dick around in spurts .
    I used gum till im sick of that , I hate sweet , I like non sweet .
    You need your mind to overcome .
    Glad I picked Gum over sex ! Id be dicks most wanted ;) !

10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

The most important factor in overcoming any addiction is determination...you gotta impose your will to quit over your body's cravings and pain...just like you would do in any physically stressful situation, sport or exercise. Everybody has a different "wall"...the ability to overcome and not quit when you hit that wall is what separates champions and survivors from everyone else.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7