SniperVest-O-Truth

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sniper-66, Jan 1, 2006.

1. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Problem is that I don't have enough vest to keep the interest going for long! Now, if I can get people to ship me their guns to shoot, I may just have to start buying vests. Maybe even offer to shoot their vest to see if they work! Hey, we may be onto something here!

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well dad shoots his out of an old S&W on highway patrole modle on the .44 frame. The one they tested/demonstrated by shooting the hottest factory loads of the early 60s in it with no hole in the barrel and it wouldnt dammage the gun beyond makeing it hard as hell to open or get the slug ou of it. I know even a few of his more mild 'experements' have been hot enouph that it pushes the primmers back so much you have to use both hands to get it cocked and make the cylender turn. He dose also make SURE those type loads are in small amounts and marked and ONLY get shot in that gun since they would blow up a lot of lesser guns. Thats why I asked what kind of .357 you had. :D A lot of those were WELL over normal red line and watched some of them test fired and blowing some real neat holes clear through good sized oak trees. Also know he had one round that was in with a bunch of empty brass he bought and rather than pull it he shot it in that gun at a hedge corner post about 6 inches diameter and turned about the top 8 inches or so into tooth picks. Like I say, these wouldnt be the stuff you buy at wall mart, they have velocities and such a lot closer to rifles but are comeing out of a 4" barrel.

3. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well if you ever need some 7.62x39 Chinese surplus steel core let me know I will send you a mag worth for test.

4. sniper-66

Actually Magnus, I was smart enough to buy two tins of that before it dried up. I keep a 75 round drum full and no tension for just in case.
    As for testing ammo, lets just keep it at factory specs. If you can't buy it in a store, then lets hold off blowing my guns up [beer]

5. monkeyman

lol Yeah, I knid of figured unless MAYBE if you had the same type of gun AND knew in advance what it was I wouldnt send anything like that. I would be interested to see the results though if anyone has some pointed FMJ handgun ammo. Dont they do that in some of the 7.62x25 ammo? I mean theres no way they would penetrate the plate if it was in but think it just might on the vest its self.

6. sniper-66

Gotta keep it in the calibers I got or else you have to send the gun along. Now if you want to send the hot rod gun that shoots through schools, I will be willing to shoot that also!

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Won't happen, just on point of ammo alone. The key is velocity. The reason a broadhead will penetrate it is that the point and blades are so sharp they actually cut the kevlar. I did read somewhere the other night that .357 Sig will penetrate 48 layers of kevlar, but I am still looking for a more credible source.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

On that note of sharp points. I'm betting the 5n7 would cut right through not 'plated' armor as that's what it was designed for.

9. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

The key is the frontal area in relation to the force is applied to the fabric. That's why a 9mm Nato round will outdo a 45 Ball round.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Changed to SniperVest-O-Truth :D

11. sniper-66

Works for me! I keep saying bring it on. You find it, I'll shoot it! God, I love this!

12. monkeyman

I wonder what tracers would do to one? I dont have any so cant send them but I wonder if they would burn through or the core penetrate or what.

13. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I am the kind of guy who would blast it with the 50 bmg

14. sniper-66

MM, the tracers wouldn't be any different than the regular bullets, they would just sit there and start burning a hole after they stopped. Probably melt into a big glob if they didn't just fall away.
    Clyde, Same offer, send me a .50 and I will shot it! Some day, when I get brave, I have a .50 hard plate, I will shoot that.

15. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I've fired a lot of tracers at night on hard targets, or that richoched off the ground, and they lost their little red golb of burning phosphorus on impact. Whatever the bullet did, it was without the fire burning in its butt.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7