So In All Out TEOTWAWKI or SHTF developing into it, Do You Contact Strangers or Not? I Say No Unless

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jul 23, 2018.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks for all your answers. I like the idea of monitoring only. I'll be checking out the links mentioned as well this week. Sounds more than helpful.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Be careful with the NA-771R antennas, apparently there are a lot of counterfeits out there that don't work.

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7741

Rancher

3. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Well... it depends, yes if he's down the street from you, but if he's across the country, or halfway around the world, then not so much. And if you think there are a lot of people out there with DF (direction finding) radio equipment, then you are wrong.

Rancher

Zimmy likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, yes and no. For one thing, Ed does NOT think. For another thought, DF gear is entirely too easy to make. A wire coat hanger will do nicely with an H/T, but as always, you need the luck of knowing what freq the xmitter is on. You are correct in that someone HAS to be looking for you, nothing short of a van full of equipment will do if a random search is the goal. In place of an H/T a scanner can also work.

Take an azimuth, shift locations and take another one. Where the azimuths cross, there ya go ---

Zimmy likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually, the State of the Art in DFing these days, it is fairly difficult to do, without a minimum of two Vehicles... Once you get above UHF, unless you are in LOS, it is dang near impossible to do if the transmitters are using high Gain Antennas... Simply because to even see the RF, one must be inside the first Fresnel Zone...especially at low power levels... When I was a FED, we had two Vans, and a Stationwagon, all equiped with Phased Array Wideband Antennas, feeding DC to Light Spectrum Analyzers, with interlinked Data Comms back to the Master Van... You see a Spike, and mark it, and the other two units would look for that RF, from the two other locations, and then calculate the Intersections, to narrow down the area. then all three Rigs would move toward the space and HOPE that you got another burst of RF and repeat, until you are within 100 Yds, then look for the Antenna... and Hope it isn’t Mobile... On one incident we were tracking a Mobile unit for 13 Hours, and finally caught the guy at a Gas station, refueling, because one of the Vans happened to be driving by at the moment of Transmission... The .MIL uses Choppers, and Drones For the Important Stuff, and if the Target is stupid enough to stay on the Air, they will ride the Beam right to it... It really is more Art, than Science, once the equipment is operating correctly...

6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

That works if you stay in the same place. If you move about by several miles, shift freqs and keep transmissions brief, good luck and in a TEOTWAWKI how many people are going to be doing DF stuff. Yes if we have a rogue government and the FBI & CIA etc. are still intact and working for it and IF they have the infrastructure. In a WROL situation I could see a certain site in Utah suddenly catching fire. If the Progressives take over and we are in a Civil War scenario, HAM operators could be in deep doo doo if not VERY careful.

Zimmy likes this.
  7. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

How do you know if someone is where they say they are? Is there somehow a way to verify this with a Ham Radio?

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You don't. Obviously.

9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Exactly, you only know as much as the other Ham will tell you, unless you have known him from before. However if you are using the VHF/UHF bands it's pretty much line of sight, so if you don't know them I wouldn't tell them where you are. Again DF'ing is a science and I wouldn't worry about it unless it's the National Guard and FEMA out collecting firearms, and we all know that wouldn't happen...

Rancher

Zimmy likes this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have had a number of folk here convinced that I'm an Australian living in Australia for a number of years...though truth to tell there are a number of doubters...

A willing confederate and Whatsap...and almost everything is possible....copy and paste is a marvel!

11. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

You do remind me of a certain US Marine I used to know on another site.

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. Tully Mars
  5. sdr
  6. Southbound
  7. bumpshadow
  8. hitchcock4
  9. DKR
  10. SB21
  11. Bandit99