So It's Better to Leave the City on a Bike than Stay in Your Stocked City Home During TEOTWAWKI?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

NO!! I like my hair, more so when I buzz it off and admire it in the trash can! The whole metro thing, well that is just one of them Jungles this Monkey ain't going to swing in :)

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Sorry.... it is the evil that comes out in me now and then.... [dancindevil][US_Army]

Tully Mars and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

10632797_834725813233982_138302249192973963_n.

Tully Mars, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I thought hanging out, selling or owning farmers markets made you a tree-hugging hippy? I just keep getting more and more confused.

5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

A long time ago in the Markets not so far away........... Farmers markets were largely dominated by actual farmers with a few token flakes. Now the bigger City markets have always had a lot of the enlightened unwashed. But the Smaller towns 15,000-20,000 and under just didn't. Enter the Grants and *Free Money* and the Gates of Hell opened up. All of the sudden every Moonbat with a strip of grass became a Farmer. The AMS/FMPP USDA grants would give you $100,000 to open a farmers market, SARE Grants would give you a couple hundred $$$K$$$ to improve your 1/16th of an acre farm. NCRS EQIP Grants would buy your equipment. Another grant would pay all the expenses for your SNAP/EBT terminal and yet another Grant would DOUBLE the DOLLARS spent via snap. There are dept of Education grants that flow freely into Farmers Markets. This has been about the last 20-25 years standard market operating practice. Guys and Gals like me me pretty much got pushed out of the Markets because were were not politically correct and take showers/baths on a regular basis. The rule of the day is Produce as little as possible, sell for as crazy high prices as possible and cry about not being able to earn a living wage from your 1/16th of an acre and lobby for more grant funding and free stuff. Oh and talk a lot about social justice. And get a lot of Press and media attention for the projected non existent plight.

Now enter my markets and a handful of others around the Country that have either survived or opened. We take ZERO tax payer money. The closest thing we do is take donations via local business sponsors and in return give them plugs and advertising. Going on our 5th year and 4th year with two markets and just taking over two failed Moonbat Markets. Yeah how does a market that gets $350,000+ in tax payer money to run a market for 5-6 neo hippy vendors fail? I really wish I could detail where $350,000 in tax payer money per year went for one market and $140,000 in tax payer money for the other. Part of the agreement in taking over those markets was that I would not disclose how the money was used. I can say as I sat going through the market files, particularly the financial records of the previous 3 years that those markets lived, there was a lot of head shaking and a bit of mouth puke.

Anyway here are a few of our regular vendors and trust me there ain't a tree huggin hippy in the bunch :)

DSC00730.JPG DSC00731.JPG DSC00734.JPG DSC00838.JPG DSC00726.JPG DSC00728.JPG DSC00729.JPG

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I think everybody needs to do the best they can with the resources they have available. Living in a large metro area is not stupid it's just not preferable to living in a rural area for several reasons. I'd place the desirability list in this order:
    • Downtown/dense areas of the Inland Empire (this is a truly unique population center that makes large metro areas look like small towns)
    • Center of large metro area
    • Fringe suburbs of the Inland Empire or large metro areas
    • Cities under 50,000 population (no anonymity factor, people know and interact with their neighbors)
    • Small towns
    • Rural areas (IF you have the resources, knowledge, and skills to be reasonably self sufficient AND you have neighbors who will work together to assist each other.)
    Your AO is MUCH different than what will be experienced in LA. While you have many of the same downsides it isn't anywhere near as concentrated and your worst case for getting out from the worst part of town would be the best case there. Not only that your exits are to Mexico (likely worse), the high deserts of Nevada or Death Valley, or north along the coast with 10,000,000 other refugees. You also live in a state that still has a fair amount of self reliance built into its culture. I see very different outcomes between there and your AO.

Secondarily, managing and organizing are useful skills at any time, but if they are your only skills they will only be a few opportunities for them within whatever groups band together. You offer much more than that due to having a diverse knowledge of several subjects that will be valuable if not life saving during SHTF conditions.

Oh, and the granola people people are only crunchy if overcooked... :eek::eek::eek:

From your perspective what are the advantages of a metro area during SHTF and how can they be leveraged?

chelloveck, Thunder5Ranch and ghrit like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

More targets available.....?! [chopper]

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

And naturally the local govts do whatever they can to make sure you can't defend yourself in these areas...

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Some food for thought, though I bet @Motomom34 has already been here and done that:
    Urban Survival Site | How to Survive in the City When Disaster Strikes
    TUP — Emergency Preparedness and Product Reviews by YouTube's TheUrbanPrepper

This article starts with some very good insight:
    Urban Survival: Surviving in the City - The Prepper Journal

"INTRODUCTION
    While we all want to do our best to prepare for a coming crisis, and many of us realize the city is perhaps the worst place to live, very few people are really prepared to pack up the old Winnebago and head for the hills. Most Americans, whether they’re aware or not, are going to stay in the cities.

This is not a hasty decision for most people. Most of us depend on the city for our livelihood, and we can be better prepared by continuing to live in the city, earn a good income, and make preparations for exiting the city at the appropriate time or by staying in the city and living off existing supplies.

This special report explains some of the most critical dangers of living in a city and presents some solutions to surviving them. If you are one of the people who has decided to stay in the city, you’ll benefit greatly from this information.

CITIES ARE ARTIFICIAL

Every city is an artificial construct. Cities formed as people came together to conduct business, participate in social interaction, and benefit from efficiencies in public services (such as schools, sewers, water, etc.) and a common defense. Yet cities cannot survive alone. They need resources from the country; most notably, food, water and electricity. While electricity and water can sometimes be created or found within city limits, the acreage requirements of food dictate that no city could possibly feed its own people.

Read that last phrase carefully: No city can feed its own people. Not one. Cities are, by their very nature, dependent on the importation of food. The advent of just-in-time delivery systems to our grocery stores means that most cities would run out of food within a week if supplies were for some reason disrupted.

Remember, cities are not self-sufficient. Although they may seem to be in 2013, they have for a long time been entirely dependent on the American farmer for their support, something almost all Americans take for granted (except the farmer, of course.)

RISKS IN THE CITY
    The city presents some serious risks during a crisis. The four most serious ones are:

1. The collapse of social order (riots).
    2. The failure of the water treatment and delivery systems.
    3. The depletion of food supplies.
    4. The failure of the power grid.
    While not every situation will appear in every city, every situation will most certainly appear in some cities. Will that include yours? We’ll tackle these one at a time: ... (the rest at the link)"​

11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

This whole thing reminds me of a Ham we knew and came to despise....He would ask a question and when he got an answer he didn't like, would re-phrase the question and ask again.
    The long and short is this- the issue of survival in an LA apartment came up and the asker was told his best chances were not to be there. Now, 90 posts later, it still does not seem to have sunk in. Forums are a gathering place of opinions, and the consensus has spoken that an apartment in LA will suck in a SHTF scenario. Mitigating factors such as a years worth of food or a 20mm GE Mini-gun may make it suck less for a while, but it will still suck. Either strongly consider all of the advice given or don't, but the original answer ain't gonna change no matter what.

Sorry guys, my tolerance bucket ran over.

12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I agree..."but there's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza dear Liza....." My tolerance bucket emptieth...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I am enjoying the thread drift anyway :)

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Heh. A specialty of the house --- :LOL:

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Through the years I've viewed a lot of scenarios and changed my view several times .
    As the times change it is important to be fluid in one's thinking and know why one might do "IF/WHEN "
    there is no one right answer for every one in this issue, certianl'y most of us know that.
    Your on the titanic going down, and have the choice of five life boats to leap into , how much time is there to make that decision ?
    most people boarding a boat don't even think of the possibility much less the people aboard they may have to deal with should the situation come to life.
    I personally don't mind the rehearsal of these strategies .
    People died in the desert not knowing what was eatable. Not knowing their options .not having a plan. not having courage.

Motomom34, ED GEiN and chelloveck like this.
  16. ghrit

Well, FIX it Dear Henry --

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    chelloveck likes this.
  17. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

What motives. finding out info? As an aside what you don't seem to comprehend is if you shoot someone in self defense, I don't care how right you are or what the attitude is like in terms of the Courts in that area, you are still going to need a good lawyer and that is expensive. Us city slicker, suit types grasp that and unfortunately many of you don't.

18. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Consider the source!

19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

IMG_0400.JPG

20. ghrit

We do. Look back at who originated the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7