So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

3- 6 lb. 8 oz. cans of corn & jalepenos.
    2-9 roll packs of TP for the pantry
    RIA 1911.45
    Mini-14 + 3 magazines.

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

One case of medicinal Tequila
    1000 rds .38 special
    hey E.L...probably got a few mini-14 mags laying around if you want them.

3. E.L.

Sweet.

4. Seacowboys

Barrett Quad 400 compound cross-bow with aimpoint and 20" quarrels
    80% 1928A1 reciever
    Sheridan Blue-streak air rifle
    50' surgical rubber tubing (slingshots and spearguns)
    2000lbs lead boat keel... heheheh
    100lbs powdered aluminum and FEO3... for paint mixing...

5. E.L.

Those Sheridan air rifles are really sweet. I used to shoot my granddad's when I was a kid. Pump it up, then air it out. The pellets really flew.

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

yea me too, till one the local church stained glass window took one, I still have a hard time sitting right:eek:

7. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Good read.... and great ideas....

Had a visit and good long talks with a buddy who has been hunting and trapping for 30 years..... convinced him that surgical tubing is a great item to have....

Like SeaCowboys says.... spears etc.... sling shots etc...
    Also good for "engines" for traps, straws to into crevices for some water if you have to.... etc... we made a pretty expedient spear and arrow "chucker" as well....

Surgical tubing is great stuff.... interesting that he said he couldn't find it that easily where he lived.... here in the islands... its all over the place in all thicknesses and its dirt cheap.... something to think about...:D

8. E.L.

Sounds like Bear needs to take some pics and come up with a tutorial for us............:D

9. Seacowboys

Six crab traps
    six fishing arrows
    a pole spear
    twelve yoyos (fishing)
    1200' 5/8" poly line
    twelve solar powered security lights

10. E.L.

Sea, are you building a warehouse to store all of this stuff? I am green with envy. [winkdown]

11. Bear

Hmmmm..... maybe I will..... sounds like it could be fun.....

12. Bear

How about some clear monofilament.... I buy them in the huge 1200 yard spools... shops sell them cheap if they've been around a while....

Not just for fishing... good for trips etc... rough the line up a bit so it doesn't reflect light as much.... also if you know how to tie a knot... you can make an expedient fish, bird, turtle or small game trap.... by making an expedient net....

IMHO... monofilament may be one of those things that come in handy but will be hard to come by..... dirt cheap to throw a couple spools in the box....

I can also get some bundles of pre-sewn fishing netting... anywhere from 6 feet deep to 18 feet deep and around 20 to 25 yards long.... eye sizes from 2.5 up to around 5 inches.... that's handy too....

Yo yo's are great... cheap too... galvanized and Cabelas has the poly if rust is an issue....

Some good stiff heavy guage galvanized wire in coils is good for making crab and fish traps.... as well as turtle traps...

All that passive stuff is great... leave it, tend to other things and come back....

Frogs are good eating too.... just the legs... tastes like chicken... spear them at night with those pole spears.... run your knife around their head, pull the skin off with a pair of pliers and cut off the legs... yummy white meat....:D

13. E.L.

1+ on the frogs. Good eating.

14. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Reminds me of summer mornings when I was just a little squirt - my granddad would take me down to the stream that runs through the property to catch frogs. He taught me to catch them and clean them so when we brought them to my grandmother, they were ready to toss into the big black cast iron frying pan that was always on the stove. She'd cook a pot of rice to go along with it and that was the mid-day meal.

I still catch frogs from that same stream and cook them in the very same cast iron pan but somehow, they never taste quite as good as the ones I had at my grandparents table on a summer day.

15. Bear

I had the same exact experience.... except it was with my grandmother.... and it was in the taro patch... still remember the board with a nail in it... grandma would grab a frog out of the burlap bag... a quick run around the head with her knife... hold the frog on the board.. drive the nail into its head... grab the skin with a plier... one quick yank... and chop the legs.... then into the big old cast iron frying pan.... yummy...
    Yup... those were the days.... great memories...:D

16. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Just put some bandaids, ointment, sterilizing wipes, water purification tablets, and a wire saw into an Ashton tobacco tin that goes in my bag that I take to work (and damn near everywhere else). The same bag also has emergency blanket, GPS, lighter, notebook, some other stuff. The tin is, of course, far from done. But I had that stuff on-hand and wanted to get it into my bag.

I found out that the nearby Harbor Freight store has LED keychain flashlights for 99 cents and also some multitool-like pocketknives for 99 cents. I would never expect stuff that cheap to hold up under day to day use but don't mind putting stuff like that away for "last ditch" use. I do carry a real multitool and real flashlight so the stuff that goes in the tin is just a set of tiny backups.

17. Seacowboys

Ever fish for frogs? Put a little piece of red cloth on a treble-hook and lower it in front of Mr. Bullfrog.

18. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Fish for frogs? Only to use as bait to catch something bigger. :)

19. Seacowboys

Ten lbs of dried pig's ears (for George and the weiner dog)
    1000 lbs. propane gas
    sixty rolls of charmin
    10 lbs. Pyrodex

20. Bear

I like your "style"..... good stuff there.... dogs are happy too...

My pups love them pig ears...:D

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner