So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, got 500 rounds of ammo tucked away, and purchased about $40.00 in canned goods and put those in the closet along with some extra water. I'm slowly loosing my 1/2 the closet to emergency supplies, time to find an additional storage spot. Problem is, we really don't have that much storage space to begin with :(, oh well, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Ryan

2. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Good on ya, kckndrgn!

Do you live in an apartment or a house?

There are five of us right now in a 2 bedroom apartment and somehow we keep finding room. It will be a lot easier when we get into the house on our woodlot (once it is done being built).

3. kckndrgn

House, but storage was not much of a consideration when it was built. In fact some of the "storage" areas are awkward and not very usefull (deep and narrow, or have a narrow door, but are very wide).

While I do have some plans to improve the storage in the house, they all take time and money, both of which are hard to come by right now.

We are working on getting out of debt, as such, if it ain't broke I aint working on it, except for the kitchen. We are replacing the cabinets and appliances, but we save up $$ for each "section" and replace when the funds are there.

Ryan

4. yonder

Do you have a basement in this house? A crawlspace? Either one of these could be very good for bulk food storage.

Do you live in an urban, suburban, or rural environment? If it is urban or suburban, forget what I'm about to say. But if you're in a rural environment and have some liberties in what you can do with your own yard, you can always construct an above-ground root cellar by semi-burying a cargo container and dumping a few truckloads of topsoil on it. Not cheap. But very effective. In fact, if all goes well, I'm hoping to do this in early 2008 on my property (it's expensive enough that I have to plan that far ahead for it).

5. kckndrgn

Yonder,
    Thanks for the tips, unfortunatly in Membabwie, er Memphis, almost no house has a basement, some have crawlspaces, mine does not.

I could put a shed in the backyard for storage, but it's a money issue, maybe in a year I could afford to put some sort of storage building in back, but then, I want to move out of this God foresakin' city and move to the country where I can buy some land and build my house the way I want to.

I don't even want to put most of my stores in the attic since it gets so hot up there in the summer and can freeze in the winter.

Time to pick up more hours had the range so I can pay off my debt faster :)

Ryan

6. yonder

The attic is the worst possible space to put your food stores. They should be cool, dark, and dry.

Underground usually works best for two out of the three of these (three out of three with a de-humidifier).

You can still get creative with your interior home space but it depends on how tidy you want your home to look.

7. kckndrgn

[LMAO]
    I have a 2 year-old running around the house! A nuclear explosion in the living room would be an improvement [rofllmao]

Ryan

8. yonder

I hear ya. I have a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and a newborn plus wife in a 2 bedroom apartment but somehow we're making it all work.

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm just glad I have stuff this week....Never know if we're going to lose power or for how long.....I hate this time of year....:rolleyes:

Not sure how long until move time...but I do know I'm leaving here before Christmas....for a short term move...and where....:cool:

More on that later.....

10. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

No hga :eek: !!!

11. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not as bad as it was at first....At first it was coming straight thru here...Not anymore...

This isn't so bad...

Fernandina Beach To St Augustine Fl Out 20 Nm-

St Augustine To Flagler Beach Fl Out 20 Nm-

Forecast as of 10:29 am EDT on August 30, 2006

Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect

This Afternoon... Southeast winds 15 knots becoming east 20 to 25 knots with gusts to 40 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet building to 6 to 8 feet. Inland waters becoming choppy. Showers and scattered thunderstorms.
    Tonight... Northeast winds 25 to 30 knots becoming northwest 30 to 35 knots after midnight. Gusts to 45 knots. Seas 6 to 9 feet. Inland waters rough. Showers and scattered thunderstorms.
    Thursday... West winds 25 knots with gusts to 35 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots late. Seas 6 to 8 feet subsiding to 4 to 6 feet in the afternoon. Inland waters choppy. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning becoming scattered in the afternoon.
    Thursday Night... Southwest winds 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Inland waters a light chop. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the evening becoming isolated after midnight.
    Friday... Southwest winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Inland waters a light chop. Scattered showers and thunderstorms.
    Friday Night... Southwest winds 10 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Inland waters mostly smooth. Scattered showers and thunderstorms.
    Saturday... South winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 2 feet or less. Inland waters a light afternoon chop. Scattered showers and thunderstorms.
    Saturday Night... Southwest winds 10 knots. Seas 2 feet. Inland waters a light chop. Scattered showers and thunderstorms.
    Sunday... South winds 10 knots. Seas 2 feet or less. Inland waters a light chop. Scattered showers and thunderstorms.
    Sunday Night... Southwest winds 10 knots. Seas 2 feet or less. Inland waters a light chop. Isolated showers and thunderstorms.

There'll be some flooding and they may close the bridge...may lose power..but looks right now like that's about it......

Piece of cake compared to what I have been thru....If it were coming right here...I wouldn't be here...Promise!

12. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

1 backpack
    100 more rounds of .45
    2 more boxes of "00" 12 gauge
    One more case of green beans
    18 more rolls of Charmin

13. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

125 more poly sand bags.....

14. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Going to a coin show this weekend. I'll be looking for bullion coins in silver or gold, hoping for some deals. Maybe see if I can find some 90% coins at a bargain.

So much to do so little time, I'm not getting any younger. Wife has been putting up canned stuff from the garden. We had a couple bushels of pears and about a bushel of grapes given to us today, (we had to pick them, but for free, who can argue?)

15. yonder

So how do you validate the authenticity and purity of gold/silver/etc when you go out to buy this stuff?

16. Infidel

Infidel Guest

The prices are too low for them to fill stuff.

90% junk silver is pretty much counterfeight proof.
    one ounce silver is also hard to fake

10 oz and up you coudl fill with lead, but if you hit one piece of silver with another it makes a distinct noise. can not fake it.

gold

well, you could fill a 10 oz gold bar with tungsten, it is 19250 kg/m not 19300 (gold) but the variation of conductivity is significant

if you are concerned go to assay guys, they charge 25 bucks to do an xray assay. that will show it

17. Bear

Good idea.... never know when you'll find a great deal.... some guys time when they go so the dealers are more willing to deal.... can't remember when is the best time.... on the last day maybe?

Canned fruit sounds terrific!....

18. Bear

90% is pretty safe... that's why alot of folks look for and have some.... most people recognize the coinage and tell by the date if its 90%.... coinage also has its own safeties built in... like the coined edge etc....as a result... it will probably easier to resell or barter....

Other forms of bullion are a little harder.... but smaller denominations are less likely to be counterfeit... Drilling and filling 100 oz silver bars were occurences that caused some folks and dealers to stay away from them.... Gold IMHO... is even harder... buy from reputable dealers... start with a few until you are comfortable you know what you are doing....

A small electronic pocket scale and knowledge of what the coins or bullion items look like and weigh can be a great help....

When you've done it enough... like alot of dealers... you can tell just by holding it in your hand....

Short version.... lots of good info out there on the web and forums on how not to get ripped off.... but experience is a good teacher.... got burned once or twice ... you learn fast.....:D

19. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Yonder, There are several people here more qualified to speak about PMs than I, however, here is a good place to start if you're interested in learning more: http://goldismoney.info/forums/

When I first started buying, I didn't know much but the folks there taught me a lot of the basics. 90% is just old silver US coins that we used to use before 1964. 1965 they came out with the clad coins we have today.

Bullion coins are put out by different countries and are some degree up to .9999 pure AG or AU. Most, except the SA gold Krugerrand have some face value, which is a lot less than actual value. The Kitco thing up at the top right of this forum can keep you up on the spot price of metals minute by minute when the markets are opened.

I suppose these coins could be counterfeited, but the likelihood of it not getting quickly noticed is very slime. Unlike paper money, real money (metal) is hard to make without using all the right contents or the properties wouldn't be right. You might fool some folks, but not anyone who has held or owned the real thing.

20. stimpy117

stimpy117 Monkey+++

A bus load of Catholic School girls.........

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner