So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. BRONZ

BRONZ Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

1K of 5.56 75gr.

2. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Another 25 lbs of rice & 2 doz rolls of TP

3. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Well some of you have deeper pockets than myself. We're always trying to keep ahead of the teenagers appetite, gonna have to shrink his stomach or something or start charging rent :D

Bought these off of the Equipment Exchange at ARFCOM from a local member

Browning Buckmark .22lr pistol
    Ruger 10/22 STS

4. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Excellent choices if ya ask me. Got one of each myself.

5. ColtCarbine

Prior to purchasing these, the only .22 I had was a Marlin Model 60.

6. yonder

stimpy don't rely on the freezer. I had a 3 week localized (weather-induced) SHTF and my freezer was only good for a couple of days worth of food when the power went out.

Canned foods and dry goods will get you through the long haul. When the neighbors get suspicious of generators running while they suffer (and they do!) you use it sparingly. I used a 12VDC deep cycle battery in a box with the inverter mounted to the side of the box. Every morning I started my truck and charged the battery. That charge was enough to operate the blower motor on my propane heater every night. I dare not run the generator just to keep the freezer going, lest I am forced to possibly take up arms to defend my home. I am perfectly willing and able to take up arms, but I'd rather not be attractive bait in the first place.

7. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

My Honda EX1000 is enough to run the Refrigerator and a...

flourescent light. Very quiet, too. This week I used my Saft Again&Again 8 battery charger to bring my NiMH AA's and AAA's to a full, fresh charge. I do that monthly to have a stockpile of batteries ready for SHTF. I can charge 16 batteries at a time with my current chargers. I'm looking at some of the Rapid (10-minute) chargers now. Ric

8. yonder

OK the first bag of rice was Jasmine. Got another 20# bag of Basmati rice today.

Yes, my family loves rice. Variety is the spice of life.

We also got a few 1# bags of dried beans to try out, all different varieties, to see which ones might be worth buying in 50# lots for deep storage.

9. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

We're Riceburners, too. My wife is...

from the Philippines. She could live off rice with canned Sardines/canned Corn Beef/canned Oil Packed Tuna, so her BOB was easy to assemble. Ric

10. Infidel

Infidel Guest

40 pencils, 20 pens, 5 "back to school special" 6 subject notebooks, 2 solar calculators, 10 spools of duct tape, 500 feet thick copper wire, 2 large, lightly chipped lenses from a broken telescope, 2 straight edge raisors, 20 pieces of soap, 128 double roll tp, 10 metal cans of 5 lb. ground coffee

11. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Got me one of these..... Break down option with 3 wheels... all goes together quite easily and packs nicely in the 4runner no problem lots of room left.... very handy....

http://www.ezloadgamecart.com/

[​IMG]

The first EZ-Load Game Cart was fabricated in the mid 1980's. It had a single wheel with a removable wheel assembly. Since that time, the cart has been improved to a point where it is a great asset to any big game hunter, especially with today's limited driving access.
    [SIZE=-1]The carts are made from one inch and one half-inch square steel tubing with welded and bent joints. Some of the tubing is double strength where needed. The dimensions of the bed are 79 inches long by 19.5 inches wide and stands about 36 inches high including the wheel assembly. The widest point on the wheel assembly is twenty one and three quarter inches which is between the two outside wheel forks. This narrow gauge makes it easy to follow most trails and with the wheels mounted underneath the bed, they are out of the way. The two or three wheels are 20-inch polypropylene with half-inch axles and a 150 pound capacity per wheel. These wheels are placed on the wheel assembly at an angle, which adds to the stability of the cart. The wheel assembly is then centrally located on the bed, which helps keep the weight on the wheels instead of on your arms. The tires also have sealant and a hard plastic liner in them to help prevent flat tires. To test these tires, I put 120 pounds of weight on the cart and ran them through all the cactus I could find. I live in the Milk River Badlands so that's a lot of cactus. The tires never did go flat.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]For EZ loading, the wheel assembly hinges to the side and the bed lays flat on the ground as in figure 1.[/SIZE]

Fig. 1
    [SIZE=-1]After placing the animal on the bed, pick the light end up and the wheel assembly swings back into place as in figure 2 and 3. The light end would usually be opposite the hindquarters of the animal. This is done easily with deer sized animals. Replace the lock pin and its ready to go. If the wing nut on the lock pin is tightened, it will prevent rattling between the bed and wheel assembly, especially when the cart is empty.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]One or two people, one in the front and one in back can handle the cart. If the load is heavy, it will go easier with two people. When fences are encountered, it is best to unload and drag the animal under the fence and then reload. This only takes a few minutes.[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

[SIZE=-1]This cart can also be used with one wheel. It can be changed in the field by hinging the wheel assembly over and removing both wheels and the strength axle that is on the middle fork. Replace one of the wheels onto the middle fork and carry the other one on the cart. The tool to do this is bolted on the cart. With one wheel, it is much more awkward to handle, but may be necessary on narrow trails, side hills, or where brush and trees are a problem.[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[SIZE=-1]The wheel assembly is also removable, which makes for easier storing or hauling. This is done simply by removing two hinge pins, one lock pin and lifting the assembly off. There is also a bed that is designed to break down into three pieces. This option is by special order only. Another option is a detachable tongue so the cart can be pulled by an all terrain vehicle or a garden tractor.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]The cart was originally designed for retrieving deer sized animals, but because of its rugged framework and solid contruction, it has been used primarily for elk in this area. Some are wheeled out whole and some in quarters. In figure 7, this elk was wheeled out in quarters. It weighed 435 pounds including head and antlers.[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

The cart also works well for hauling camping and hunting gear into an area where motorized vehicle access is not allowed. I use it for hauling my tree stands and ladder stands in and out of the woods. Over all, the game cart saves a lot of hard work by wheeling instead of dragging.
    [/SIZE]

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Hopefully that cart has a hand brake on it, try rolling an Elk down hill and hanging on :eek:

13. ColtCarbine

Hey, it would get to the bottom real fast

14. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Yea like an Olympic Jamaican bobsled team :eek:

15. yonder

That cart is a real-life tactical wheelbarrow! :lol:[fnny]

16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

That cart looks very controllable, especially with two people handling it.

Yonder, thanks for the heads-up - gotta get more TP! With my size and appetite, I go thru a lot . . . :)

17. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Gun Kid? :D

That one wheel version of that cart looks like it would handle all my dredging equipment for navigating over rough terrain. The stuff is not all that heavy, but there are times I think my two wheel cart is going to tip over side ways. I've taken to just making several trips to drag it all down to the river, instead of using the cart. You could fetch a lot of wood on the three wheel version too. Looks like a good find.

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Camelback
    1 large med kit
    1 small med kit

19. troubleticket

troubleticket Monkey+++

This week.....

Generator is now running.

Seeds for planting and eating.

Got a good all around knife.

20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Daisy 1000 air rifle and 5,000 Gamo Raptor pellets
    Two boxes 7mm Weatherby magnum cartridges (damend hard to find and expensive)

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner