So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah I guess thats one thing I should have mentioned. Aside from maybe a roll of quarters in case had the need and ability to use them for vending machines, phones, etc. I think that haveing basic supplies covered first would be better than trying to have cash to BO with. After there is say a months worth of food in the house, a decent BOB set up, a firearm or 2 with a reasonable supply of ammo (if BO is the plan then what you could/would carry or slightly more) and the general basics that way IMO would need to come ahead of trying to set back cash that in a disaster is likely to at least be worth a LOT less and just as likely there may not be anything to buy. I would imagine in a major disaster the main things money would be likely to be good for other than machines if they still work would be to pay for services (includeing bribes) or if you made it to a more rural area then you might be able to purchase the items produced by farmers. If you run across a dairy then you could likely buy some milk, a chicken farmer may sell you some chickens or eggs, etc. In general though I personaly put cash at the end of my list of necessities to stock up on, though it dose make the list if possible after the other stuff.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Posts 95 thru 101 again point out the benefits of having the immediate needs to hand, and the value of having something stowed away for barter as well. Tobacco was a high value trade item 200 years ago, and will be again. The best hedge against starvation in a TEOTHWAWKI will be to have a store of high value trade goods (and the means to conserve it; that is, a place proof against looting). Liquor, tobacco, sugar, salt, ammo all qualify, and potato chips just might.

The means to produce trade items is even better, or a talent that can be traded for what you need. You might become a wandering minstral, or (if so inclined) a bible thumping evangelist if it keeps you warm and well fed. Even today, we see artists trading their talent for FRNs as a way to keep their backbones and belly buttons decently separated, and few are they that fix the price on their labor, the stuff goes for what the market will bear.

The key is to feed the need.

Bomb Osama OSB

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

This week.....had extra cash bugging me...

--Order of seeds from Ark Institute...couple of the 40 variety packs

--2 pair of boots for my wife.....she likes those lightweight Kangaroo skin ones
    Also got 2 pair of the FRMS walkie talkies they have on closeout ( Cabela's )

--Order of freeze dried protein from the FreezeDryGuy.....pork chops and eggs

4. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

Canned 14 more jars of shrimp.

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Shrimp! Wow! I've been fishing a lot but so far haven't had much left over to put back for later. Eatin' as I go.

We did put up around 30 jars of apple sauce this week. Most of the garden is done now except beans and tomatoes.

6. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

All sound advice. I know that I would put away food and stuff. Just wanted to have a little cash for the moment right after while it's still worth something. You know for gas or what I might be able to get. I am definitely going to stock up on stuff ASAP. I like having my job now. I can afford some stuff and not just sit around and talk about it. Just don't know what I'm going to go buy first. Haha.

7. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

Half gallon of sta-bil, two more cans gas.

8. monkeyman

Well last week I got a 16 oz bottle of Corrosion-X, the 4 oz bottle I bought just over a year ago finaly ran empty after keeping all the guns and several knives in good shape for a year or so. Now when I can I want to pick up one of the gallon jugs of it for storage.

Today I ordered another 500 wad cutter slugs for the .357 so can load them up as well as a set of powder dippers. I figure they will go to target shooting over the next couple of months but plan to try and pick up anothe 1-2K in the next couple of months.

9. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Stocking up on

10. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Added butt pack to my web gear. Stocked up on some cold weather items like watch caps, scarfs, thermal boot socks, etc. and made sure some of them made it into the Go Kit.

Added Ka-Bar fighting knife to web gear, and Buck knife to the "carry everywhere" gear that literally goes everywhere with me all the time outside of the home.

Got some more Esbit fuel tabs for the go kit. I've got no problems making fire, but if you just want to cook a meal, cooking for 15 minutes or less with a fuel tab is going to help you keep a much lower profile than starting a big ol' campfire.

I also got more Heat Factory Disposable Heat Packs.

11. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I thought I would just post most of the stuff we bought at Sam's today as almost all of it is being put back.

50 lbs. Of rice
    25 lbs. Of sugar
    25 lbs. Of flour
    16 cans of tomatoes
    24 cans of Ranch Style Beans
    48 Nutra-grain cereal bars.
    20 cans of Ravioli
    3 Di Giorno Pizzas
    4 packages of Chicken Fried Rice
    4 lbs. of B-B-Q Sauce
    24 cans of Chicken Noodle Soup
    24 cans of Green Beans
    8 cans of Spaghetti O’s
    16 cans of Mandarin Oranges
    2 Boxes of Mini-Wheats
    Four loaves of Bread
    Ten pounds of Pinto Beans
    8 cans of Corn
    12 Pounds of Spaghetti
    4- 4 lbs. jars of Prego Spaghetti Sauce
    176 Diapers
    50 pounds of Dog Food
    1 Box of Dog Bones
    ten pounds of Chicken Breast
    ten pounds of Chicken Nuggets
    box of Grapes
    box of Strawberries
    20 Ton Jack
    1- 500 Watt 12 volt DC to AC converter
    1 Fire Extinguisher
    3 Smoke Alarms/Detectors

12. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

Four more cases of assorted dried fruits, 10#sugar.

13. monkeyman

We made it over to the Amish bulk grocery store this week. If it werent for the fact I only had about $50 in the checking account the list would have been a LOT longer.

12' lamp wick
    2 gallons naptha/coleman fuel/white gas
    2 lbs dried green peas
    1 lbs long grain brown rice
    4 oz dried tomato flakes (about 1 pint dried)
    8 oz dried onion flakes (about 1 pint)
    1 lbs ground black pepper (about 1 quart)
    2 doz canning lids (most will be used to make oil lamps for a party)
    12 oz barley flakes (about 1 pint)
    2 oz celery flakes (about 1 pint)
    3 oz dried diced jhalopenos (about 1 pint)
    3 pints vanilla extract

Aside from whatever gets used in the kitchen for reagular cooking around here, I figure I will try mixing some of the stuff with some bullion or dry beef base and may dry some beef (lightly or un flavored jerkey) to chop up and add to it and make some soup that would be just add boiling water and wait 10 minutes. Something kind of like Ramen noodles only with a lot more to it like a veggi beef stew. Figure it would be great for the kits especialy in the winter.

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Dug up a few fat-lighter pine stumps and stacked two cords firewood split. My wife and I are planning an eco-system where we raise rabbits, earth-worms, fruit trees, and catfish.

15. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

100 Rds. of 230 gr. Blazer CCI brass .45

16. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

Made seals for 5 gal buckets from local baker.

17. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Just bought a 5600 watt portable Craftsman Generator last week, it was a floor model, regularly $729, and I got it for $450. 2 cases of TP, 2 #10 cans of cooked cubed beef, ($10.00 each at Sams), 3 huge boxes of Minute Rice, 3 cases of Ramen, 2 more cases of water.

Last month, we bought new internal frame Jansport Backpacks, 5600 cu. capacity, good enough for about 5 day treks.

18. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just got some more canned goods to add to the supplies. We also got some rice and dry beans to add. I'm going to let the rice and beans sit in the freezer overnight then vacuum seal tomorrow before adding to the supplies.

Tomorrow will actually be the most expensive addition to the supplies. I'm ordering my wifes XD-9 :D so it should be he in less than a week. Best thing about it is by saving all of my money from a second job, the gun will be paid for in cash!

Next up (Middle/end of November) will be my home defense shotgun :D

Ryan

19. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Broke my big toe on my left foot. Bought more first aid supplies. Actually, smashed the toenail clear off and broke the toe underneath. Real ugly looking thing. The Doctor sewed the whole thing back together, but didn't give me much hope on saving the nail, just put it back on to protect the wound and bone underneath. So, more gauze bandages are now stocked. Kind of reevaluating the first aid stash.

20. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OH HELL!!!! That has got to hurt!! I managed to mash my thumb on my left hand in Feb - broke the last bone length wise. I did loose the nail, eventually, and it hurt like Hell, I can only imagine what it is like on a toe.

You have my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Ryan

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner